Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hello law thread! I would like to first apologize for any lawyer jokes I have ever made in the past, as I need some business advice.

I have a question about derivative products and copyright/intellectual property law. Specifically, in the case of computer hardware, eg. a Raspberry Pi, do all the companies selling products that include a Raspberry Pi need to seek and receive permission through an agreement or similar in order to take it to market? Or is the combination of purchasing them from a distributor or at retail a de facto license to resell it as part of a product of your own?

I ask because I’m looking at the possibility of selling networking hardware based on white box (unbranded products from an OEM) networking products such as those from PC Engines and Lanner/WhiteboxSolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

Lowtax still participates in SA, like at all?

I haven't followed what's going on with Starpluck

Nah, Lowtax hasn't had keys for like a year at this point, so it would have been some time in 2020 or earlier even.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Outrail posted:

If a crowd sourced rocket blew a few billionaires' rockets out of the sky how would that be treated legally? Is there some kind of space International waters equivalency? Assume both craft are in near earth orbit.

Any object or spacecraft launched into space (and anyone aboard it) is considered to be under jurisdiction of the nation in which it is registered. If our hypothetical billionaire, let's call him Jorf Bebop, were to be in a spacecraft higher up than generally accepted 100 km altitude definition of when you're considered to be in outer space, then the country that Mr. Bebop lives in could consider the owner(s) of the missile that intercepted his spacecraft committed a murder in the nation that his spacecraft is registered in.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just wanted to chime in about the whole "giving homeless people money just causes them to kill themselves with drugs!!!" thing. A couple years ago the University of British Columbia partnered with a charity group to do a study wherein they gave $7500 to fifty homeless people who had no serious untreated mental health issues and helped them get ID and bank accounts. Within a month 70% of them were food secure and had lower alcohol and drug consumption rates, and most had stable housing within three months. After a year some still had money left over. This is in Vancouver, too, a notoriously expensive city to live in.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alchenar posted:

What everyone else in this thread forgot and thus failed the exam for is that the guy's actual question was 'how do I sever myself from this situation from as quickly as possible'.

Fake death, leave country.

Ah, the YOSPOS-approved nuclear option: fake your death and move to Belize.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

is it illegal to quote some bad reddit post without sourcing it, and if so, what kind of lawyer would someone need if they did that?
In theory, asking for someone else

Criminal Code of Something Awful, §4.20(69)a: Anyone who commits the act of unsourced quoting of reddit is guilty of a summary offense punishable by no more than six (6) hours of probation.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Legal Questions: Boy I would love a do-over

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The fun part of golf is hitting the ball really hard with the club to make it go far. 18 holes takes several hours, costs a solid bunch of money, really needs other people to be playing with you to be interesting, and has the added stress of not wanting to slow things down enough to annoy the group behind you.

The driving range, on the other hand, lets you smash balls as far as you want for as long as you keep feeding money into the machine to get another bucket of balls, doesn't hold up other people if you take your sweet time, and is a good stress reliever.

Buy your lawyer driving range certificates.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I’m pretty sure nobody in law enforcement physically taps phones anymore. Easier to get a warrant and take it to Verizon or whoever and get them to do it all digitally.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SkunkDuster posted:

UNFAIR STABBING, ILLEGAL SHOES, MUSIC TOO CANADIAN

Ah, yes, when you challenge a man to a duel at the count of ten but you stab at eight while wearing crocs with socks and blasting Nickelback.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have never been called up for jury duty and have no opinion on the process. Having said this, I will get a letter in the next few weeks requesting my presence in the service of His Majesty Charles the Third, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and His other Realms and Territories King, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I am still chomping at the bit for more information about this dude's malpractice-mangled cock

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

The articles of incorporation made a much bigger deal about unrestricted travel, but it also came over in the us constitution. Basically states cannot arbitrarily prevent other state citizens from entering their state. Freedom to travel anywhere in the united states without any borders is the idea.

SovCits think this right of unrestricted travel between states means that they can travel without any restriction of law so long as they use the magic phrase correctly.

I wonder if European sovcits try to apply the concept of the Schengen Area in a similar fashion.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Volmarias posted:

I heard about the interesting mechanic the UK has where, if you go to the police for a sexual assault charge, but the prosector doesn't think they can make the case stick, you can still have them note down that your complaints exist. In this case, if Rapey McSexpest catches a few complaints, the prosector can potentially make a case because it's not just one person any more, it's a bunch. This was a reason why Andrew Tate fled to Romania; the crown was finally gearing up to prosecute him with an ample supply of evidence.

Seems like it doesn't work out great, but it's better than "lol get out of here" as a response.

The issue with this mechanic is that it requires the prosecutor to give a poo poo, or for the cops to even contemplate talking to the prosecutor. These are quite unlikely to occur in the US.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

luscious posted:

I’m not sure if this is legal chat thread! I don’t have a question and quoted this case but I’ll just leave the url in case anyone is interested in learning about Canadians’ rights to give each other the finger - a Charter protected right, as it were.

https://www.canlii.org/en/qc/qccq/doc/2023/2023qccq630/2023qccq630.html

I love my stupid fuckin country :canada:

e: I can only imagine how amazing it must have felt to write phrases like "Being told to “gently caress off” should not prompt a call to 9-1-1." in a document that will be preserved for eternity as a basis for case law.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 11, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Trapick posted:

and Quebec is doing it's own thing in a bunch of ways.

Any bit of legal advice in Canada generally has a big asterisk next to it that says "offer may not be valid in Quebec", yeah.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

on the other hand, if you ask for a "lawyer, bro" you are legally entitled to a totally bro lawyer

The booking officer sighs as he dials the memorized number for the law firm of Chad, Chad, and Chad

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Javid posted:

Oregon just finally got rid of the mandatory gas station pumper jobs, the job market's gotta make room for that fresh batch of unemployed people somewhere

There are still two cities in Metro Vancouver that ban self-serve gas pumps! :eng101:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

It may have started as a joke, but a week in the bricks are apparently still there and effective.

As a born and raised Vancouverite, I completely understand why.

Reusable, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not a lawyer, but a) that's hilarious and b) my guess is that West is probably in the deepest poo poo on account of just straight up being on the entirely wrong lot instead of just partially the wrong lot. Then again, North is on three different lots, so, lol. lmao.

I hope South and his lawyer have a taste for popcorn, because they're gonna need several dozen buckets of the stuff.