Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

First things first. I am an Italian citizen, in a relationship with an American citizen.

I understand that in order to move into/work in the US, I would need a work visa, and getting a work visa would require a job offer.

If I were to answer a job application and get a positive answer, would that qualify for a job offer? I would like to contribute to the household expenses, even just on a part time basis, before asking my girlfriend if she's willing to drive me to and from work.

Are there any pitfalls I should be on the lookout for? I worry that by the time the work visa is processed they will pick someone else for the position.

(If it matters, the application would be to work in a library. I have a master's degree and they only want an high school diploma, so I'm hoping I have good chances...)

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Why in the everloving gently caress would you move to Bartertown my man? Does the idea of the Thunderdome appeal to you more italian wine and food? How???

Italy isn't exactly a cornucopia of job offers either. Also, rather importantly, my girlfriend is there.

Guy Axlerod posted:

If you want a work visa, you need your employer to sponsor your visa. Not all jobs qualify for sponsorship, they need to show they can't find anyone in the US and have to resort to a foreign employee. The job you described probably doesn't qualify.

Otherwise you can get married. Either enter on K1 and get married in the US or get married first and apply for a green card before going. You will be able to work then.

There isn't much option to come stay with your girlfriend and work casually.

That's good to know but even if I rushed there and got married ASAP I imagine they'll find someone else for that position in the meantime.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I would like to mail a seashell pendant made from an actual seashell I found to my girlfriend in the USA for her birthday. Since seashells are marine life, I expect this will be a source of Troubles. How should I go about doing that? I looked it up online and apparently you need to declare seashells that you bring into the country, but nothing about mailing them. What should I do?