Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
If I entered the Capitol on Jan 6 as an independent journalist, with no affiliation to a major news outlet, could I be in legal trouble? Let's say I documented the whole day on my Youtube channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Well, that's interesting. With newsrooms getting smaller and the number of freelancers increasing, that means that coverage of an event like this is basically impossible for most journalists. That's bad.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

blarzgh posted:

Committing a crime doesn't become not a crime because you call yourself a journalist.

I think the angle that you have intuitively hit on but not understood to ask is the notion of mens rea or intent. In your mind, your question is really whether the intent of why your are there is a defense to prosecution.

The answer is no. Ultimately, the question of intent is whether or not you intended to commit the act that was illegal. Your motivations for doing so are not relevant for criminal liability.

However, that intent might be mitigating factors in sentencing. Likewise, police and prosecutors with limited resources may decide that it's not particularly worth their time to pursue and prosecute somebody from "realnews /youtube.com" who's pretty obviously not participating in the 'festivities.'

Likewise, a judge and or a jury may find it compelling that one was simply there to observe, And may hand down a reduced sentence, or recommend probation from the bench.

Aha, ok thanks. Just to clarify, I'm not looking for an angle to reduce the sentencing of the rioters. I'm genuinely curious about the situation of someone covering the event, and the fact that some coverage might be off limits or associated with legal repercussions.