Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

tehschulman posted:

I don't have a JD and never went to law school, but I'm very interested in the particular field of media law. Atleast I went to school for Journalism, so I've got some media law and ethics backing, but I've had a nagging question that's bothered me for some time.

We all have First Amendment rights in this country, the same standards apply to corporations, who are people according to the law. In the media industry we have, or used to have in any case, a good deal of ethical dilemmas when it came to reporting the news. The job of a journalist is to disseminate truth to the public for the greater good, but in a news world where scandal and hype and controversy guide the decisions of what editors should be running, I wonder if there is any legal precedent that deals with news organizations being charged with something along the lines of "harm to the public" or "malfeasance" or something similar to what a consumer might accuse a company of if their physical product was operating in a harmful and unintended way.

Mainly I'd want to apply something like that to News Corp and FOX News in particular. You can't condemn FOX outright for running with the stories they run with, you can't even condemn Glenn Beck for saying what he says because we all have the right to say such things. What about the aftermath of what's being said though? Does FOX bear any responsibility to the public to work in an ethical context? What if some nut were to pick up a gun and shoot another person and claim that their crimes were motivated because of some anti-immigration screed he heard on the Glenn Beck show?

Is news considered to be a product produced by a company? Would it stand up to the same consumer protections as a physical product? By FOX's own admission, it is not a news organization but instead is an entertainment/commentary channel motivated to get high ratings. Can FOX News even legally use the word "news" in their slogans and network moniker if this is the case?

I've been tempted to bring a Lanham Act false advertising claim against Fox given some of their news coverage as damages statutorily could go up to daily profits, which has got to be a good paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Richard M Nixon posted:

I realize this will be a silly question, but I've read a few peer reviewed CS journals, and I can't imagine anyone who doesn't :awesome: to source code to actually read it, much less keep track of who writes on what. Do lawyers or other legal people get subscriptions to journals in different fields to keep a list of current experts, or is it more word of mouth?

Actual E: Why did you put an E when you didn't E? Huh?

You get to list it on your CV, regardless of who reads it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
As a general rule with charitable organizations, making your donors happy is a good idea, so it doesn't hurt to get permission.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monochrome posted:

I have a bit of a strange question involving business/labor law in Massachusetts.

Hypothetical situation: Company A conducts a round of layoffs, the terms of which include a release from a non-compete agreement that the laid off employees signed when they were hired.

At a later date, the CEO of Company A asks the CEO of Company B, a competitor, not to hire any personnel that Company A laid off, the CEO of Company B agrees.

Is this arrangement at all illegal?

Possibly illegal under federal antitrust as a hypo.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBestDeception posted:

Without knowing anything at all about antitrust, isn't the standard one of unreasonable restraint of trade? How would that be balanced against at-will employment (which is what I thought the answer would be)?

not really

It's certainly worth talking to a local lawyer about.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who knows about false marking w/r/t patents because I got some nice lawsuits in holding but I need to know more.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SWATJester posted:

Which of those is less work and cost: suing the poster and getting an injunction? Or calling up the other guy and saying "Yo, don't hire any of my former employees. Thanks, wanna get coffee?"

Apparently the former, given the antitrust liability attaching to the latter!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBestDeception posted:

Explain again how it eliminates competition or prevents new participants from entering into the market to compete. Because as far as I can tell, there are still two companies competing, whether or not this deal is agreed upon by the second employer.

If you're not at least passingly familiar with antitrust law, this is a pointless conversation, because I'm being descriptive, not proscriptive.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Incredulous Red posted:

It's a state court matter. Tort occurred in Louisiana since the letter was (presumably) written and mailed there.

I'm rusty on my civ pro, but it can't be correct that he couldn't sue in Pennsylvania, could it?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, and I'd rather kill myself then think about choice of law so have fun

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schitzo posted:

In some jurisdictions damages are presumed.

The presumed damages may be nominal, however.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solomon Grundy posted:

Why are you people debating whether or not suit could be brought in PA? All of the parties live in LA. Why on earth would the plaintiff choose to travel hundreds of miles to prosecute a lawsuit? :psyduck:

Some sort of choice-of-law issue relating to damages available for slander, maybe?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thorias posted:

How is it possible that you can get charged for failure to appear in court when you never received any notice whatsoever from your lawyer, the court or otherwise about a court date, shouldn't there be something wrong there?

Because the court doesn't know that you never got notice.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get in touch with Radley Balko @ radley.responses@gmail.com

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ItchyDroopy posted:

Can you elaborate a bit?

He's a journalist who covers wrong-door raids frequently, so he might be able to (a) give your story publicity, and (b) put you in contact with a local attorney who can help.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nietzschean posted:

I have an invention idea. It is a software application which could be used with present electronic hardware in a specific medium. How do I go about researching if this idea is already patented, and, if it is not, in getting it patented? Will I need to patent just the software, or do there exist some sort of loopholes like with processes or materials? What type of paperwork, legal counsel and other professionals will I need to assemble before I can do this? My goal is to sell my idea to another entity outright for a sum of money, but to make sure that it's buttoned-up tight before I enter discussions so that it can't just be taken and used.

I guess what I'm asking for is a How-To from coming up with an invention concept to final sale to a company that will use it.

get a patent lawyer

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

Hell, its hard enough to get people to give you money when you have a patent, customers and a product. Though, my stuff is pretty niche...

I have no idea whether doing this would be a good idea in your situation, and I can't speak to its accuracy, but read this.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jonus posted:

Whats the point of patenting something if its primary use is in international waters?

Also its my understanding that recent rulings say that an entire process has to occur within the territory of the USA to be infringing. If one part of the process occurs in Japan then its considered legal. Does this also apply to means plus function patents, or purely process patents?

35 USC 271(f).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Incredulous Red posted:

So, basically, your only hope is that he doesn't show up in court.

Does this even work, anywhere? In my experience, it's an automatic continuance.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

entris posted:

I think the best argument over nomenclature is the GLBT v. LGBT discussion, with the feminists insisting that GLBT perpetuates patriarchy.

Since I'm not a member of the community either way, it's not my place to judge. I just use LGBT when around women, GLBT when around men, and "the evil homersexuals" when around Republicans.

/good luck, Lexical Unit! Don't forget that you CAN move out of Texas, and there are plenty of friendlier regions of the country (although Texas's economy is doing pretty well, comparatively).

I call them giblets.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mdubb posted:

I have a question about a divorce my sister is about to go through. She and her husband have been considering a divorce, and for the most part decided to part amicably. However, the reason for the divorce is pretty much all his fault.

First of all, he refuses to support her. My mother and I have been doing so since he signed up for the army and was deployed. On top of any normal financial help you'd expect a husband to give his wife, the army gives him a housing allowance, which is specifically given to him to help support his household back home, and he gives her none of that. The military has rules regarding what he is doing, and failure to use your housing allowance properly can result a number of punishments, including garnishment of wages. He also refuses to allow her to live with him since he was deployed, claiming it is because of her disability(epilepsy), which he knew about well before they were married. She has received approval from doctors and the military to live with him, but he simply finds or creates more excuses every time one of his reasons is debunked. This has been going on for about 2 years.

Second, we've recently found out that he has a relationship, possibly an affair with another women, since he was deployed. We've found messages going back many months, and the woman actually posted pictures on Facebook the other day of the two of them in various sexually provocative poses.

Aside from the things listed above, she actually loses benefits she was getting before they married. Her disability check was cut in half, she lost her health insurance, etc., which is why we have had to support her. I have no idea if such a situation could result in damages or alimony paid to her if we took this to court. So mainly what I'm wondering if we should try to keep this cheap and simple, or she should lawyer up, and try to take him to the cleaners. We've pretty much gone from just wanting him gone, to wanting to see him punished.

We're currently living in Kansas, and he has been living in Texas the last two years, but has recently been redeployed to Germany. I doubt he will try to file on his end, because he likes stealing the housing allowance, and has whined about losing it if they get divorced. They have no kids, and have been married about 4 years.

There wasn't a question in this post.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schattenmann posted:

This is criminal law; jurisdiction is Virginia
Tooled around on Google first, didn't really see anything that helped me form a solid opinion despite 15+ years studying Matlock and Law & Order, so here I am:

Last night I was out walking in when I came upon a group of 8-10 teenagers watching two of themselves fighting. They've been doing this around the small town/Richmond suburb I live in for several years, and while I've seen the videos on YouTube, and I've seen the cops breaking them up near the library etc before, I've never seen one live. They were on a soccer field, so I sat down on the bleachers and started watching. They got freaked I was going to call the cops, but even though I assured them I love watching kids beat the snot out of each other, they didn't buy it and left to fight somewhere else.

But, when the kids brought up the cops I started wondering whether or not (1) it was illegal for two people (minors) to fight each other for fun (all other things being legal; I know it's trespassing for them to do it where they were) and (2) whether it's illegal for me to watch such a fight?
In this instance, I was about 50 yards away from the group and the fighters and I wasn't whooping and getting into it. While they were trespassing, I have rights on the property, so I'm not worried about anything extraneous, just the fighting itself. First question is just curiosity, when I've seen the cops breaking them up I've never seen them arrest any of the kids. Second question is self-preservation.

The Virginia Code: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm I didn't have much success trying to use it but that's why you guys are the lawyers.

Rights on or to the property? I'd be more concerned about getting civilly sued if someone gets hurt.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd also be concerned with his description of "the evidence was suppressed" as to whether double jeopardy attached.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm not sure how this works, how do non-commercial organizations that don't sell poo poo protect their marks?

Sue them for infringing your current mark or file a registration.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given that the gun-related question wasn't specific on jurisdiction, I can give a jurisdictionless answer, which is that people have been convicted for gun possession while getting off for the shooting.

The one instance I can recall involving self-defense use of a gun and a felon was when the felon grabbed his attacker's gun, was arrested for felon-in-possession, and won.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

entris posted:

Won the self-defense argument or won acquittal on the felon-in-possession charge?

(or both?)

won on felon-in-possession

edit: source

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wyatt posted:

Yep. As I said above, the retainer is being treated as fully earned and cannot be recovered. Only deposits unaccounted for are refundable.

I'm no ethics master, but I seem to recall from the MPRE that that's not kosher. I'd imagine it's state by state, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Talibananas posted:

State courts have general jurisdiction, so you could sue in state court if you prefer, even if you're suing under a federal statute.

I don't practice, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffOneShotWong posted:

I'm pretty sure her claim for late fees is bullshit as well. I remember countless times she tried collecting rent during the time of her bankruptcy proceedings and I just stood my ground and told her 'I have a court order instructing me to withhold rent from you so that it can be garnished as payment towards your outstanding debt. Unless you provide me legal documentation rescinding that court order, I will follow their instructions and not yours'. All those months she provided nothing. She even had her lawyers call me threatening to evict me and I told him the same thing and he had no response to it.

An Interpleader pleading, huh? I have no idea what that is but I'll check into it. Man, this sucks. Because my landlord is a deadbeat and put me in this situation, does that means I have to cover all of this legal stuff out of my own pockets? There's no way to come out of this unscathed? Do I have a legit case to claim to counter sue her in an attempt to recoup some of the money spent on legal fees? I just want to continue on with life instead of dealing with this.

I am located in Alexandria, VA. I don't think I'll be able to do this pro se since this stuff is way beyond my understanding. What kind of lawyer would handle such a situation? A bankruptcy lawyer? If this is going to cost me a lot of money, is there any way to recoup it? How much does something like this cost anyway?

At this rate, if it's a lot of money, so much so that I end up losing all my back-rent and end up spending more than the late-fees incurred (ie: about $400), perhaps I should just bite the bullet and pay her so she would leave me alone. I am tempted have her take me to court purely on spite because she lied to me multiple times and put me in this situation. I'm the type of person that would spend $100 bucks to get back $50 purely on principle.

Is there any way to walk away from this with money in my pocket such as convincing the courts that the condo association didn't want my rent money so I get to keep it and that it isn't a case of unjust enrichment?

The main question is:
Is it better to just hand over all the back-rent (ie: around $7800 worth) to someone that may not deserve the money and take it in the rear end and eat the cost of late-fees (ie: around $400) so that I can continue on with life? (Note: I'm pretty sure she's such a deadbeat that I'm not gonna see a dime of my $1300 deposit back from her when I move out. I'm in the process of finding a new place as we speak. I can be out by the end of this month)

Or is it better to fight it out because there is a chance that she is not entitled to the money and I can actually keep some of it because it's not my fault the condo association didn't want my money and it isn't a form of unjust enrichment?

Or, simply out of spite, should I spend more money than I originally owe just to screw her and make her have to spend a lot of her own money, money she might not have, to go to court to fight to get this back-rent as well as attempt to counter sue her for lying to me and collecting rent when she didn't deserve it when she lied to me the first time around and telling me she would take care of the debt and I should make it hard for her because she's obviously a manipulative deadbeat liar that is greedy for money. (eg: My dishwasher broke and she didn't respond to my calls for a few week. She replaced it a few days later after I called her and told her I'm going out over the weekend and buying a new dishwasher and taking out of rent whether she likes it or not)

Note: I went to her bankruptcy meeting of creditors when I found out she filed for bankruptcy and overheard that she had four properties currently in foreclosure and hadn't paid taxes since 2007. That's some crazy debt she has there. I don't know if the apartment I'm in is still owned by her. How does one find out? There's something screwy here with her. She actually lives in the same apartment complex as I but has a P.O. Box. Then again, she has a sister that lives in this complex so she might have been forced to move in with the sister. Maybe she doesn't even own the apartment anymore.

Thank you, Entris.
You have been extremely helpful.

I'm a lawyer and I live in Alexandria, too, but it sucks I just let my bar membership go associate or I'd help you out for beer money.

better luck next time

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solomon Grundy posted:

Further confusing the situation is the fact that in many hospitals, the physicians staffing anesthesia "departments" are actually provided by a contracting entity, rather than being hospital employees. For example, Bumblefuck Hospital may sign a contract with East Bumblefuck Anesthesiology Associates, a limited liability company, to provide anesthesiology staffing at the hospital. EBAA then hires the doctors and assigns a rotation to the Hospital. So then you get billed by the hospital for the anesthesia drug, and by EBAA for the anesthesiologist to administer the drug.

Confused yet?

Which also sucks because you have two co-pays instead of one.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SWATJester posted:

Bomb technology is not copyrightable subject matter; notwithstanding this, the government does not research bomb technology -- defense contractors do all the patenting and other information.

All patent applications are done in the name of the individual (human) inventor. However, the federal government can and does take an assignment of patent rights as would any corporate entity.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
VA:

I was a member of a gym that was in my apartment. I was on contract, and I was autobilled during the time I was a member. I cancelled in-person when I moved, or so I thought.

On Friday, I received a phonecall from a collections agency saying that I owed them something along the lines of $500 for my membership. I explained that I paid the cancellation in person. The collections agent responded that per my contract in order to cancel, I needed to have sent a check by certified mail.

I told her to mail me, and that I'd look for the letter and cancelled check.

This weekend, I looked, but apparently I never sent the letter. Instead, on August 18, 2009, I went with my wife to cancel in-person, and was told there was a $50 cancellation fee, which we paid by credit card. We continued to be billed the next two billing cycles: we paid the last cycle on October 5, 2009 (just pulled the billing statements online).

At this point, I'd like for this to go away without dealing with credit reporting, obviously. I'd also like to not give them $500. How can I make them gently caress off, or, at the very least, sue me before they report to credit agencies? Should I threaten a countersuit for the two months that I was charged post-cancellation? Should I contact BBB or alternatively my state AG?

From what I remember of Contracts in law school, I'm fairly sure that when the manager took my money to cancel in-store, that that served as a modification of the contract as the manager clearly has apparent authority to act on behalf of the company, given that the manager is the one that does the sign-up contract in the first place, so I think I'd win on the "do I owe them money" question.

edit: Assuming I never cancelled and that I'm still under contract today, I'd owe roughly $2516 as of today.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 7, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigHead posted:

Have you called your landlord? Usually the person who sells the debt to the collections agency has authority to call the collections agency and cancel it. That's what happened when I accidentally received a double bill from a hospital and the unpaid one went to collections. If that fails, threaten to sue their rear end for credit fraud. It's a biiiigggg civil fine if they erroneously do anything to gently caress up your credit score. Of course that's more practical advice than legal advice 'cause I don't know anything about anything.

Funny story: apparently the gym is owned by the collection company.

Apparently goes to show how their billing operations work...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigHead posted:

That's freakin' genius. Imagine how many loop holes and extra fees a collection agency can think up to attach to that kind of contract.

Yeah. I still think they're screwed by their manager, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also the federal Fair Housing Act supersedes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpacePig posted:

I'm not in legal trouble or anything, but I'm just trying to settle an argument with someone at work, and this was the most fitting palce I could find to ask: In the United States, more specifically Pennsylvania, is a police officer required to be wearing his hat if he's trying to make an arrest?

The argument stems from a paraphrasing of a rule (we can't find the rule itself) that states that an on-duty officer must be in full uniform when making arrests, and whether or not the hat is considered part of the "full uniform". Google's turned up nothing but anecdotal evidence, at best, so I came here in hopes of settling this.

short answer: no

long answer< hahahaha, gently caress no.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got the response to my request for validation of a gym membership debt

All it is is a copy of the contract. There's nothing indicating any accounting of how they got the dollar figure they're quoting as owed.

The contract was entered 12/5/08 and it said there would be 10 payments of $74 starting 1/5/08 (sic). I paid with my credit card, and I have statements showing ten payments from 1/5/09 through 10/5/09.

What's my next step? Another letter telling them that what they sent me doesn't approach a verification as required by the FDCPA? Do I go straight to the "the contract says I owe you ten payments, here are receipts for the ten payments, gently caress off?"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Follow-up re: default in Virginia:

My 12-month membership signed 12/5/08 had me paying first and last upfront, followed by 10 monthly payments starting 1/5/09. The contract also says "Roll over to open-end/month-to-month starting 12/5/09." The contract also says "Memberships that roll over to a month-to-month basis require a 30-day written notice to cancel." The contract also says "The term of this contract is 12 months."

The 10 monthly payments required by the contract were paid on time. No payment was made on the first roll-over month on 1/5/09.

Here are my thoughts:

I shouldn't owe anything, because I gave the gym manager a letter that said I didn't want to renew in November of 2009. They, of course, don't have a record of this. My evidence would be "They had my credit card which they didn't have any problem charging through October 2009. They told me that I wasn't renewing, and I never was charged in December 2009, so it looks like they got the message."

If I can't prove that, I should only owe for the first month of the month-to-month. Upon not paying, I defaulted on the month-to-month agreement, thereby terminating it. No written notice is required, as there's no agreement to give written notice, as any such agreement expired 12/4/09 along with the contract.

I don't see how they can prove that I owe more than one month of the month-to-month.

Anything I'm missing?

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 29, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

builds character posted:

Do you have a copy of the letter? They might argue the twelve month term being a twelve month membership. Response to that is it's just the length at which they've agreed to the price and other terms of the contract

trip report: spoke to a rep, and basically they were going to argue a bunch of dumb poo poo regarding the term of the contract that I don't feel like spending time on even if I would win, but in the end of the day they got $100 out of me to settle the $850 claimed debt and I guess I just paid the nuisance tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

dvgrhl posted:

That's exactly why they do what they do, I hope you see.

Of course. Like I said, nuisance tax.