Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future
I live in Virginia and received a ticket for "Fail to stop for a red light" with the law section listed as this. I was making a right hand turn at the intersection and didn't come to a full stop before doing so. I'm not so concerned about the fine as I am about how my insurance rates might go up with this on my record. Is it worth showing up to court or should I just suck it up and pay it? What would I even do if I went? Is there any other way I might resolve this without going to court? Are there additional court costs if I were to show up? Basically trying to decide what my best course of action is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future

NancyPants posted:

Call your Clerk of Court in the county/city where you were issued the ticket. Most places have some sort of defensive driving course available to avoid points on your license. The Clerk will know this, and will also know whether you have to be present in court to request this class or whether you can request it and pay the fee for it by mail. The Clerk will also know deadlines and structure of fees and fines.

Your first call for traffic related matters should be the Clerk of Court because they're very knowledgeable and laws differ so much even from city to city. They can't give you legal advice but they can tell you how the process of dealing with tickets goes.

That's definitely great advice. What i'm concerned about is that points on the license are different from how the insurance company evaluates your DMV record. I might be able to avoid points, but the infraction would still show up and i'd still get hit on my insurance. In any case, I can talk to the clerk of the court and find out what they have to say about things, thanks!