Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

drat Bananas posted:

My understanding is that this is not actually a parking ticket but a “breach of contract”. Am I responsible for contracts via my car?

That's a really specific question that we likely won't be able to help you with. You can hire a local lawyer to answer that for you. You can also ask in the debt collection thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Yup you can call him and ask him.

Comedy spite option is file a lien against his house.

Other than that I have no idea.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Gotta trust the tree trust to win in court though. If you cut it down who's going to sue you? Some stupid squirrel? I could beat a squirrel in any contest including in court.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Azuth0667 posted:

What's the next step if a company violates a settlement agreement that was reached via the state attorney general mediating the dispute?

If you were a party to the mediation, and were represented, contact that lawyer. Also if you were a party and did not have a lawyer, go find a lawyer.

If you were not a party and want to enforce the mediated settlement somehow, contact a lawyer in whatever area of law you're talking about.

I know that's not super helpful but that's about all you're going to get in this thread. We can't give you granular advice. There are so many different things that you could be talking about with way, way too many factors for us to give you anything like a specific answer. Bring your documents to a lawyer and pay them to answer your questions.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I watched a trial where a suppression motion was granted once

Dude was parked in a car (his own car) in a parking lot (his girlfriends apartment complex) at night. Not a moving vehicle just parked. Cops rolled up on him with four cars and shouted "stop! Do not get out of the vehicle" before they did *anything* else

Testimony at the suppression hearing was that the officer knew it to be a "high crime area" but then admitted on cross that there had been no other arrests there in the past four months.

Judge threw the case out. Said it was the only suppression motion he'd ever granted.

Cops just hosed up by detaining the dude before they even gave themselves a pretext. If they'd walked up to the car first and said they'd smelled weed, entirely different case.

I know a state district court judge that granted at least half the suppression motions he heard. He was a real pain in the rear end to practice in front of as a prosecutor but obviously the defense loved him. So ymmv when it comes to reasonable suspicion.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

I was under the impression that a lot of that drug dog stuff was the handler themselves doing something to initiate the dog's behavior as an excuse for a search.

I used to do a small amount of work with the K9 officers. They had something like a 99.5% success rate in terms of positive hits, if I'm remembering correctly from years ago. The dogs were way more likely to miss drugs than to do a false positive. Even then a false positive was usually "you touched meth then you touched your door handle so your door handle smells like meth" or "your clothes are soaked in fentanyl smoke."

In my state the cops had to put their dogs statistics in the search warrant application. And they got their asses cross examined plenty on those statistics.

What you're referring to is not an accurate statement in my experience.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure why you're coming at me here. I must not be communicating well or something.

I understood you I think that dude just has an ax to grind against drug drugs, like they hit on his car when he gave meemaw a ride to the airport and she had her pot gummies or something.

Which, fun story, I had a small carry on suitcase with a few suit jackets my brother in law - who had grown fat - gave to me. The airport drug dog hit on the suitcase and I got to spend ten minutes silently cursing that fat big law bastard while they searched the pockets of his jackets. I was frantically trying to remember the case law from such circumstances and in my head I was practicing saying "I want a lawyer." Eventually the dude didn't find anything and let me go.

That's not even the most egregious reason I dislike Steve. gently caress you Steve!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

'A Client'

:cheeky:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
No. The other jurors might narc though, but they'd only be allowed to narc after the court declares a mistrial and the case was set for a do-over.

In jury selection, sure I guess. Not after that.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
In Alaska restitution judgements are civil judgements with all the rights attached thereto. The State Victims Fund or whatever can garnish the free oil checks Alaskans get every year. Crime victims have a constitutional right to restitution, though the court of appeals hates criminal restitution and never affirms. Restitution is also routinely a probation condition, though trial courts will always order it then refuse to enforce it because they (rightly) don't want to jail poor people for not paying money.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Mother was a moderately talented artist who ended up with a prolific but monetarily worthless collection of huge tasteful nude paintings that none of her millennial kids living in one bedroom apartments have room to hang.

I like blarzgh's boat vote, except it's an old leaky small boat that at least one kid was conceived in, and again none of the kids even have driveways, much less garages or toy sheds to store it in.

14 sheep, each with names and personalities.

An entire wall-sized bookshelf of Louis L'Amour paperbacks with Grandpa's hand-written notes, including love notes to Grandma.

Pet ashes going back at least seven generations of cat. People ashes for the entire direct lineage back to the civil war.

Or they're all hoarders and all that stuff is valuable and we gotta save it. We can't just throw away these perfectly good lamps!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Yeah this seems like a very cheap lesson in running a small business. One of the lessons she should learn is that lawyers should review contracts before they're signed, not chase after verbal agreement pocket change cases after they are signed. Can she mark it as a loss for tax purposes and move on with her life?

This lesson will probably save her way more money in the future if that's any consolation.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
When your mom gets sued for dumping her excess water in the neighbor's lawn the phrase you will want to Google is "riparian lawyer near me."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
It's the district in which you live, not the circuit. Like eastern district of Texas or northern district of California. Alaska has one district, so if you live anywhere in Alaska you can get called to serve. Arizona has one, Virginia has two California has four, and so on.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Skunkduster posted:

That seems kind of disproportionate to me. Failing to report income from tips, smuggling birds across the border in your pants, letting your livestock graze on federal land. All felonies that I can see and they have nothing to do with guns or violence. As lawyers, what are your thoughts on stripping 2A rights for non-violent crimes?

Wait till you see all the crimes that definitely should be misdos but the state legislature decided passing misdo crimes was for pussies so everything's a felony. Any marijuana possession, $0.14 in property damage, "entering a building with the intent to shoplift a candy bar," speeding 15mph over is felony reckless driving in some states. In Washington it's a felony to harass bigfoot. In Alaska, any misdo can be a felony if three or more people do it together! Group fishing with illegal hooks (bonus: that's called molestation of fish!) is a felony, group illegal practice of dentistry, group getting drunk in a bar and staying on the premises. And Alaska is a fairly progressive state when it comes to criminal laws. God knows what Mississippi has on the books for felonies so they can keep black people locked up for life for stealing a slice of pizza

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you need a bankruptcy attorney and have no idea where to start, you can Google "state bar association referral service." Call the line or navigate the referral website looking for a bankruptcy attorney and start calling their offices until you find one that will take your case.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The newspaper in Anchorage ran a story about car theives a while back. They went out and interviewed a bunch of people who had been arrested for it, which was a cool perspective. Nearly all of those people said they were high or drunk and just needed a ride across town, so they hopped in the first car they saw and drove off.

One lady was drug seeking in the ER. When she left, there parked in front of the ER doors was a car with the keys in the ignition that some poor sap had just driven his girlfriend to the hospital in. She needed ("needed") to get home, so off she went. She said she was so high she had no memory of it until she saw the surveillance. Another kid just wanted to see his buddy in Anchorage, so hopped in some idling cars in Valdez until he found one with a full tank, and off he went on a four hour drive, parking the car in front of his buddy's house. No thought, no planning, very little malice, certainly no high-level Fast and Furious glamour. Just idiots and kids and idiot kids.

Then there were several people that would steal cars to get in drive-bys with rival gangs, but that was a small number comparatively, and they had way more charges.

Anchorage is different though because you need to warm up your car by idling it for ten or twenty minutes before driving it so car stealing is super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Bitchkrieg posted:

Sorry to be stupid, but what is a 'criminal lawyer'? Like a criminal defense attorney?

I want to do this, I just don't know what I'm looking for.

A general criminal defense attorney or really a general attorney should be able to lay out your options. Say you want to file for a civil protective order of some kind and they'll tell you what that requires and what type of proof you'll need to come up with.