Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

kimbo305 posted:

Ripped from the headlines!
http://jalopnik.com/5589270/maryland-judge-decrees-pontiac-g8-gt-tail-lights-illegal
If you were advising this guy, what would you tell him to do?
Standard blah blah blah, not your attorney, this isn't advising anyone to do anything.

Well, from reading the story, it looks like the stock lights violates statute in Maryland. If I were advising him, I'd probably suggest he start formally talking to Pontiac about getting reimbursed if that's what he wants, or suing them.

In Maryland we have the tort of negligent misrepresentation, which is probably the closest thing that would apply here. Whether he would win or not is another story - Maryland is not really a plaintiff friendly state, and this is not really an easy tort to meet.

-e- also might wanna change your lights or stop driving pontiacs so you don't get ticketed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

King of the Cows posted:

PG County and Baltimore City tend to be pretty friendly to plaintiffs.

perhaps more so than the rest of the state, but on a whole the state is pretty pro-defendant.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

kimbo305 posted:

Would it matter if he bought in or out of state?

The reasoning on that tort would be that GM did not do anything to check whether its car was legal according to Maryland laws, and authorized a dealer to sell it to a customer who assumed it was legal?

It's a variant of a standard negligence tort, basically that GM had a duty to the customer (either to sell him a car that was in compliance with state standards, or to warn him that the car did not meet state standards), and that their commercial misrepresentation breached that duty, causing damages.

The question ends up being whether such a duty exists. It's not a slam dunk case, but it's one of the more direct ways of getting any kind of substantial money out of GM.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah, the division that no longer exists of a company in chapter 11 protection? Does that change anything?

I use the name generally. Pontiac, GM, whoever.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

terrorist ambulance posted:

There's probably some kind of statutory implied warranty that goods will be fit for their intended purpose when sold in a consumer context

Probably, but the recovery won't be as good.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
kph implies Canada.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yes. Yes. Depends on the wording, but typically if he's already there, you don't go there and if you're already there, he can't come there.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

I Am Not Clever posted:

I need some advice. Several years ago, I (quite stupidly) attempted to shoplift a small item and was caught. It was charged not as a misdemeanor, but as an infraction, under California state penal code 490.1. I pled guilty and paid a small fine.

I've looked this up and some people say that an infraction such as this will not appear on my criminal record or in a background check, but I suspect this is not true.

Right now I am applying to law school. It would sure make things easier if I did not have to disclose this incident. Most law school applications ask if one has ever been convicted of a crime, not including minor traffic violations.

It is somewhat unclear to me whether or not this infraction is considered a "crime," per se, as the California state penal code clearly states that "A person charged with an infraction shall not be entitled to a trial by jury." And elsewhere, the penal code states that "no person can be convicted of a public offense unless by verdict of a jury."

But, yet another section of the penal code declares that "crimes" include not just felonies and misdemeanors, but infractions.

So, do I have an obligation to disclose this incident, and more importantly, when I take the bar exam someday, will the bar association discover it? What kind of background check do they perform, anyway, and does this appear on my criminal record or not?

Disclose it now.

Then disclose it on the bar exam.

The reason law schools ask, is because they have an obligation not to accept you if you cannot pass the character and fitness portion of the exam. So in essence, if they have a problem with it, good, they've just saved you 150,000 dollars.

Also, don't go to law school. Seriously.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Perhaps you missed the part about don't go to law school.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

joat mon posted:

I've looked in every once in a while, but it always felt like a bunch of Type A personalities hypothesizing about how they might as well kill themselves if they didn't make it into a T6/ T12/ T14 school. Even twenty years ago when I hypothetically might have cared about that, I didn't care about it. So, not only do I not/ did I not care, my experiences are too old to be useful to anyone, anyway.

The IP and 'is it possible to obey the entirety of the law' discussions are interesting, though. I'll stick my head in more.

^^^^^ Though perhaps I need to go represent for the "No, going to law doesn't automatically mean you'll hate your life and your job and pray every day for the sweet sweet release of death" position.
(But for the vast majority of Type As who go to law school to go to Big Law, that may well be true...)

You're missing it. 3 years ago it was "Woes is me, now I don't have a BigLaw job". Now it's "I graduated from a T1, T14, whatever school, and I don't have ANY job and I can't even work for Geek Squad".

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Runaktla posted:

Yeah cause working hard and smart and not being an idiot has everything to do with chance. I've seen the people who fail at being an attorney; you rarely ever get anything handed to you. You have to work for it. They don't understand that.

And yet, you couldn't get in to an ABA accredited school. Yeah, that's the guy I want to be giving advice.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Runaktla posted:

Or I never applied for an ABA accredited school because none of them accept people who do not have Bachelor's degrees, and I didn't feel the need to spend a couple extra years studying something with minimal relevance to law to get a Bachelor's, just so I could go to law school?

Hurf durf.

How dare we expect our advocates and counselors to be at a minimum college educated, let alone to hold an accredited graduate degree in good standing with their own self-regulatory association?

Nah gently caress all that, I don't want to do the extra work.

GJ.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Javid posted:

The following is me being curious: In areas that utilize the death penalty, how are laws regarding premeditated homicide altered to make it legal for the guy who pulls the switch or whatever? Or are they? If this isn't how it's done, how IS it done?

a) No malice, so not murder.

b) The state is privileged to commit the action as a public policy exception.

c) The state action is explicitly authorized by statute.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Incredulous Red posted:

I wonder if you'd have a difficult time arguing consent when you're talking about minors.

*see I was beaten*

I could see this potentially being used to establish a duty for you as an agent of the church/school. Don't know that it would succeed, just throwing it out there. Were any of these kids students?

I'd probably err on the side of caution and tell the kids to move it somewhere else.

I doubt there is an agency relationship, and even so, there is no causation to sustain a negligence claim against him.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

eviljelly posted:

Depends how the facts shake out.

As to what, agency, or causation?

Agency: he's not acting within the course and scope of his employment, so no vicarious relationship. The church has not authorized any of his actions. He's not acting overtly as the agent of the church. He's essentially acting as a individual with licensee status on the property. I don't see the grounds for an agency relationship there.

Causation: The cause in fact of the kids injuries is the other kid punching him. But for being punched, he would not have suffered the injuries. I'm not seeing how "but for OP's presence, the kid would not have been punched"; in fact, the facts establish that OP's presence STOPPED the fight. The simple argument is "They wanted to fight. Had they been in any other location, they still probably would have fought. The fact that they were on the church in front of the OP is completely irrelevant to the kid's injury". The argument for proximate cause is better, but not a slam dunk. Was it foreseeable that as a result of the OP's actions the kid would be punched in the face? Arguably not.

TBH, I'm not even sure there was a duty or breach either, because OP had no duty to intervene/rescue and in fact did not intervene/rescue; and as long as he was not acting as an agent of the church, it's difficult to say that he acted unreasonably.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

eviljelly posted:

If the facts shake out that the kids thought and say that they knew the guy was a church caretaker (or whatever he is) and that they thought that he was allowing them to fight there as a host, basically. You can extend that further by the kids testifying to the effect that the guy told them so.

How would that be relevant to a negligence case? Permission to be on the land isn't a defense. And consent is only effective as between the two fighters in their battery case. The church cannot consent for two other people to hit each other.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

eviljelly posted:

So let me get this straight. If the church organizes an activity for kids and someone gets hurt either because it was a dangerous activity or because the church allowed the activity to be conducted dangerously, you don't see that this could create a case against the church?

I don't see that the church is organizing anything here. Remember, he came across these kids fighting. Also, the dangerousness of the activity is irrelevant, we're not holding anyone in strict liability here.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

JudicialRestraints posted:

If he acts with apparent authority he can bind his employer, even if he does not have the authority in fact.

That said, any injuries would be intervening torts by the kids punching each other (I agree with your causation analysis).

I'm pretty sure that it would be very difficult to show that a reasonable person would believe that a church authorized a person to allow fight clubs on their property.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

PoOKiE! posted:

I have a general question which should be applicable in most of the US. (I live in Illinois though)

In the following situation, what kind of recourse would a defendant have?:
Someone had a lawyer in a criminal case that resulted in a finding of guilt or a plea deal and after receiving evidence through discovery, it was clear to the defendant that video evidence, etc was not provided. They repeatedly informed their lawyer about it, but it was just passed off as "That's all they had" or "That wouldn't matter anyways" If the evidence would have had a fairly decent chance of discrediting the arresting officer's testimony/conduct, or just the fact that it recorded the defendant's other statements while being held, it should have been provided, right?

I'm not sure what falls into the category of exculpatory evidence(since it would be hard to prove how it would be exculpatory since it was never revealed), but from what I can tell, when discovery is requested, all recorded statements on paper, video, audio, etc are supposed to be provided to the defense regardless. When a defendant strongly wants the other evidence and the lawyer doesn't request the court to make the prosecution turn it over, will they simply say it was the lawyers strategy or do they usually think it's a pretty important error that would be in the category of "ineffective counsel"?

Here's how ineffective assistance of counsel works.

You can literally sleep your way through direct AND cross examination of a witness, and that's not ineffective assistance of counsel.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Service shouldn't be a problem if they're in jail on felony charges. An attachment on the car ought to be enough to to cover the $800.

-e- Also I dont know how it works, but you might be able to garnish their prison wages?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

baquerd posted:

Well, in who's opinion is the extent of the damage measured? For example, the owner might want to replace the whole thing and bring in an expensive contractor to rip it up completely, while the guy who ran into the fence might believe a repair job on the section hit is more than sufficient.

The owner of the fence gets to decide what he wants to do with it. Replace it, repair it, etc. So, don't run into poo poo.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

baquerd posted:

Do you actually have a jury in civil cases? This seems like something for small claims.

How is this? Why would the guy hitting the fence be liable for anything more than complete restoration of the effected section? Like if it's just a bit caved in between posts and they want to pull up the whole side.

Because the guy will probably sue you for conversion of chattels, for which the remedy is the full value of the product.

Once again, the solution: don't hit other people's poo poo.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

baquerd posted:

Doesn't conversion require voluntary action? Does an accident count?

From what I'm hearing, I basically need to pay what they're asking. It's still pretty ridiculous, high $x hundred dollars to replace what's basically 6 feet of wood slats.

Anyway, how can I write a contract that will ensure this releases my liability? Do I need a lawyer or can I figure this out with a few hours of work?

The volitional action is you driving the truck. You intentionally drove it. Your driving caused a conversion of defendant's property. It does not matter that you did not intend to convert the property; it only matters that you intended the act which causes the conversion. In that regard, it's akin to a strict liability standard. -e- And even if that jurisdiction tort law is not favorable to that action being for conversion, you're still liable for trespass.

You're going to write a contract to release future liability for running over someone's fence?

Or you've already ran it over?

Leif. fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 5, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Non-lawyers should not be answering questions in this thread, though they do.

I don't understand why you're making this into a big deal. You're going to pay them something for repairing the fence, right? The worst case scenario is that instead they sue, and you're out the FMV of the fence, plus possibly some incidentals. That's not the end of the world.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Incredulous Red posted:

When did you pass the bar again?

Took it last month. Your point?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
OYEZ OYEZ OYEZ, COMES NOW [PLAINTIFF] HAVING BUSINESS BEFORE THIS, THE HONORABLE COURT OF SMALL CLAIMS, DULY SWEARETH AND AFFIRMETH IT TO BE TRUE THAT....

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Defamation is so hard to establish anyway and so expensive you are probably better off letting it go.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Only if he wants it admitted though. He might be trying to submit it to the prosecutor for leniency or some such, where it wouldn't be admitted as evidence but the effect would still be had.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

entris posted:

If you post a single page / panel of your comic, I believe you have a copyright over that.

Copyright isn't going to protect you from someone else liking your story and making a spin-off of their own, unless they actually use your plot elements or your writing.

I also think you are putting the cart in front of the horse - you're worrying about someone stealing your awesome idea before you can get it out there. But you need to make sure you have an awesome idea first - make sure your story arcs are well-crafted, your characters are compelling, and your art guy is doing a good job. You don't need to worry this much about copyright issues at this stage in the game, you are unnecessarily stressing yourself out.

Also, I think you could probably get some pretty cheap webhosting to throw your comic up onto - you may want to stay away from using Facebook as your prime method of distribution, although throwing a link to your website up on Facebook is a fine idea.

Echoing this, and also that you have to balance copyright exclusivity versus the amount of reach you want to get. Basically, there will always be scraper sites that infringe your copyright and such, but you have to balance going after them with the amount of additional viewers that they'll get you. It's quite rare that someone would infringe on your copyright in a way that actually hurts you (they may copy your stuff but in such a way that it's entirely clear that you were in fact the author). So it's up to you to determine whether the copying in fact helps you. This is the argument behind the free culture movement, and as the local free culture guy here, I can tell you that I've gotten a LOT of mileage and a good amount of publicity from a few works that I've released under free licenses. Yes, I lose out on a bit of control, but I gain so much more by allowing my works to be widely shared and seen.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Iowa is a one-party state anyway.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

forgot my pants posted:

I think by that you mean that only one party in a conversation needs to know that the conversation is being recorded. But keep in mind that she isn't a part of the conversation, because she's not present in any form. Am I understanding this correctly?

As towards the previous poster, that's good to know. She's not the owner, but she is a manager. It's possible she's been granted authority to do this, though. I'm not sure I have any way to find this out, other than to report it to human resources.

By nature of remotely connecting, I'd argue that she is a party to that conversation.

Basically there are two separate levels of eavesdropping occurring. One is the recording of the electronic communication between her remote computer and the work computer (OK because she is a party); the second is the recording of physical conversations made in the office by the recording device (in which her authority comes into question).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

OneEightHundred posted:

e: Redacted. Basically they're both three words and differ by one: Mine has "Games" at the end, theirs has something else, and they're a game developer. I can't imagine they wouldn't be considered "confusing" if put against each other.

Of course, this is further complicated by the fact that I've been producing only free poo poo and haven't sold anything (yet), but then part of the reason I've been looking into this is that I am making something that I'm fully considering licensing out, and one of the existing projects might become a commercial one. They haven't released or even announced anything though, other than the platforms they're developing for.

I'm not sure how this works, how do non-commercial organizations that don't sell poo poo protect their marks?

Dicks about what?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

PM me? I'm in that industry and might be able to sort it out.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Biskies posted:

I started working at the DC office of an AmLaw 100 law firm in May of this year. I am a Legal Assistant for a partner attorney.

Your answer can be found in this sentence.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

quote:

The funny part is that I don't even think he realizes that he's inappropriate.

He's a partner in an AmLaw 100 firm, of course he doesn't know it's inappropriate. That's what I was saying.

Basically it comes down to two things. 1) they fire the partner (not gonna happen). 2) They fire you (or do nothing and you quit), you sue for wrongful termination, retaliation, HWE sexual harassment, whatever your jurisdiction has, and make a lot of money.

-e- I'd start looking for a new job now. Just sayin.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

tishthedish posted:

I'm emailing as opposed to calling because she's said things on the phone that she'll later deny she said. At first we were doing snail mail because I tried to email her and she said "our office does not allow communication through email". Oddly enough, after very slowly corresponding for a month, she was allowed to email! Imagine that.

I suppose I could call her and simply ask if she's alive and still works with Traveler's and then hang up. I absolutely refuse to talk about my case over the phone, because she has already tried to con me into signing a paper that would give me only $500 for medical bills and pain and suffering COMBINED. I know that stalling is a technique that adjusters use to get their way, and that's not going to happen.

So send certified mail?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Alchenar posted:

It's libel. Unless he actually gets sacked (in which case he would sue for wrongful dismissal anyway) it just isn't going to be worth doing anything.

The answer is; make sure everyone you know knows what happened and stop leaving your computer logged on.

Depends if Canada requires a showing of malice or not. I couldn't imagine the court finding malice in that her mistake was a reasonable one. If it had actually been YOU that sent out the emails, she would have been right in saying you were racist. Unless she willfully knew at the time that she sent out those emails that you didn't do it (which I'm not getting from your statement unless I'm screwing up the timeline) then she lacks the requisite malice for libel.

Incidentally, I'd argue that it's not per-se either because it does not relate to your business or livelihood other than that was the location of the email sending -- all it says is "this guy is racist" not "this guy is racist and that makes him a bad worker" or something like that. Again, unless I'm reading something wrong.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 23, 2010

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Alchenar posted:

I mean that even if he wins it's unlikely the damages would cover the cost of bringing the case. Unless it's a massive libel of someone with a high profile reputation or there's causal financial harm they never do.

Well yeah, libel cases are almost never worth it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

mboger posted:

At the risk of this derailing into a morality debate, for me it's more about the person invading my house than the "value" of any property they're taking. If someone violated my sense of security at home, I'd shoot to kill over a stolen ketchup packet and I'd sleep like a baby.

Edit: To quepasa18, read that link I posted for Castle Doctrine info. Some states specifically state that you do not need to fear for your life to use lethal force in your "castle" (defined as home and/or car and/or place of business, depending on state).

No offense dude, but speaking as someone who has actually shot people (in the military) you wouldn't just "sleep like a baby" because you shot some retarded meth-head who broke in your house.

Your post reads like you are basically the poster child for "people who should not have guns because they are not responsible gun-owners" and I would not be surprised if you are the kind of person who concealed-carries and intentionally places themselves in situations where they can brandish their weapon just to get a hardon.

Just sayin.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
The entire point behind the Colorado code, like most other state self defence codes, IS threats to one life. A homeowner should, under this view, not be required to make a snap judgment, perhaps while just being woken up and under great stress, as to the intentions of a burglar. It generally carries a presumption with it that a crime committed in someone else's home is highly likely to be a violent one, and so the difference between an attacker intending to rough you up a bit, versus killing you, is not one that a homeowner ought to be forced to guess at. Especially when the consequences of guessing wrong are either committing a homicide or being victim of a homicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Actie posted:

UPDATE: The scammer has initiated a PayPal transfer to me. It's for the amount that he owes me, and it's by eCheck. It says it won't clear until Friday.

I'm completely unfamiliar with PayPal, though I do have a Premier account. Sorry to waylay this thread--but could someone tell me if he has any way of canceling the payment? Is there any chance payment won't go through? If he can pay by eCheck, wouldn't that also mean he can make an instant payment?

It's account dependant. I've had problems before where I couldn't make an instant payment over a certain amount and it made me do an eCheck instead.