Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

carlcarlson posted:

I got a speeding ticket last week, and it says that I must "Appear On or Before 03/06/2010". Which I feel is misleading because March 6th is Saturday, and the court is only open Monday through Friday. What happens if I try to show up on Saturday and find out the court is closed. I'm in Texas if it matters.

For what it's worth I plan on going to court Friday to take care of this.

Is it honestly misleading to you? The ticket gives you two options, expects you to figure out which of the options is more doable (or more favorable to you, if they're both doable), and then to do that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I've read a lot of posts in this thread by people getting screwed by a landlord or by just someone they were subleasing (or subletting, I forget which is which) from. I have a little over a week to find an apartment and rent it, are there any quick tips I can use to try to avoid some of these problems?

(I looked for the landlord-tenant thread or whatever and I didn't see it in ask tell, so I apologize if I should have put this question there.)

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Thanks lawyers (and non-lawyer dumbasses!) for all the time you put into this thread.

I brought up to my friend that Michigan has no felony murder rule, and he claimed that felonies are prosecuted federally, so it doesn't matter if MI doesn't have that rule. His argument seemed to be that felonies are defined, prosecuted, and penalized at the national level, so Michigan's lack of a felony murder rule means dick.

He full of poo poo or what? Thanks.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Thanks for the replies. And the list of MI felonies. Good to know that sodomy is apparently a felony here.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Edit:

Lawrence v Texas struck down anti sodomy laws nationwide. As far as I know some states just didn't both removing the laws from the books.

Thanks, that sounds like a pretty good pick-up line. If seduction wasn't illegal, of course.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

joat mon posted:

Maybe your friend has no idea what "felony murder" is and thought you were talking about "murder, which is a felony" instead?

I mean for other people there who had no idea, I even explained what is meant by felony murder (brought up the co-robber who gets killed and robber is charged with felony murder example).

He's a smart guy, but he mentioned that his wife took a few crim justice courses, so I think he just misremembered second- or third-hand information he might not have ever understood fully.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Alaemon posted:

For what it's worth (and for anyone who doesn't know), Michigan DOESN'T observe the felony murder rule. We abandoned it in... 1990, I think? People v Aaron is the case.

I think I mentioned that in my post. My friend said it doesn't matter that we don't observe it.

e: I see that I said we don't have one, not that we don't observe it

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
How difficult does it have to be to see into your window to get an indecent exposure charge (or a charge that isn't thrown out by a judge).

Like, if I'm walking around naked, but you can only see into my window with binoculars or night vision goggles or something, how likely is a police (or a judge) to care? My guess is this varies greatly from cop to cop and judge to judge, but I'm wondering how that sort of thing is usually handled.

Doing gross stuff w/ the blinds open isn't something I do or want advice for how to get away with, I'm just curious.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

That article says nothing about night vision, binoculars, and I said nothing about wearing a hat.

The whole point of my question was how difficult must it be before an instance of indecent exposure gets ignored. I'm not sure how you think parading around in front of a picture window and an open doorway for several hours, some of which (it sounds like) were during daylight hours, in a house visible from the street by the naked eye, fits the spirit of my question.

Thank you anyway.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
If I steal cash off of a restaurant table/bar that was left for the tab and tip, who am I legally stealing from? Does it matter that the staff hasn't taken delivery of the money yet (like in the Fast and the Furious where Vin Diesel hasn't taken delivery of Paul Walker's car when Johnny Tran blows it up and that's why Paul Walker has to find him another one)? Is that even a thing that matters or exists in a court case, which person the $5 was stolen from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Thanks for replies about stealing tips. For the record, it's not something I have done or plan to do, and I know I would be taking money out of the waiter's pocket.

Followup: what if I slide someone else's tip onto my pile of cash? The bartender gets the same amount of money, but they think I'm a big tipper instead of the other guy. Is that illegal? Fraud of some kind?

Also not something I plan on doing.