Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Gully Foyle posted:

What was compensation like for the duration of the trial? It always seems insane to me how little jurors are paid for their time. In my area, you get nothing for the first ten days, and after that you get the equivalent of less than half the minimum wage. You even have to pay for parking! I don't understand how the average person these days is even meant to be able to serve on a jury with the way rent and other living expenses are. A seven-week trial would put a minimum-wage worker over $3k in the red comparatively, not even counting expenses during that time.

Federal court (or at least the Eastern District of Virginia) is $50 per day plus mileage and reimbursement of tolls. Then, after day 10, it goes up to $60 per day.

Since I continued to get my salary while I was serving, it actually ended up being a nice little windfall for me. (Jury stipends are in fact taxable income, but not the portion that's a reimbursement for travel.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

smackfu posted:

I was on a federal jury a few years ago and I think we had a computer system to pull up any document evidence from the trial to review during deliberation.

You had to rely on your notes for testimony though.

The jury I was on, we had hard copies of all the documents entered into evidence (mostly lots and lots of photographs and printouts of messages from facebook accounts) and there were also CDs with audio recordings and whatnot that they brought us a laptop to use for. (Everything was in color-coded binders and wheeled in to the deliberation room on a big cart.)

But yeah, we didn't get transcripts of testimony.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Kalman posted:

And beyond that, it’s typically (always?) the division of the district which you live in, which basically corresponds to “nearest federal courthouse.”

Yep; I served on a jury for the Eastern District of Virginia, so I went to the courthouse in Alexandria and the jury pool was basically just people in northern Virginia. One juror was actually dismissed because he lived far enough away that his travel pay was allowed to be a hotel room instead of just mileage, but then the budget for the room ran out (or something to that effect).