Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

jiffypop45 posted:

I'm in Philadelphia Pennsylvania and my partner and I are considering moving. Our lease does not have a break procedure. The exact language is as follows:

"22. TENANT ENDING LEASE EARLY
205 Tenant may not end this Lease before the Ending Date of the Lease or any Renewal Term unless otherwise agreed to by the parties in
206 writing."

Doing some quick reading looks like if I leave, they can sue me in small claims court for up to 12,000$. That's roughly 3 months of rent. Is it possible for them to sue me for some larger amount outside of small claims? Is it legal for them to not have a lease break fee at all? I'd happily pay them 12k as a lease break but what I'd want to avoid is ending up in a bigger court for the remainder of the lease rent due (It's a 2 year lease).

I realize this is very polity specific and might have to get a lawyer on my own to help me figure this out however, it seems like it's only handled in small claims so at worst I'd be out 12k.

Depending on the rental situation in your area they may be extremely happy to take $12k and be able to rent to someone else (possibly for more than they’ve been charging you.) You could reach out to them and offer $6k for a lease break and see where they stand. They may counter for more, or may say no, at which time you’d have to look up the legal ramifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

sleepy.eyes posted:

FL question for you lovely nerds. I'm going to be out of state for about a month and was planning on having a friend on mine stay at my place and keep it up wile I'm gone. Possible problem is that I have guns and he's a felon. I've been looking up this stuff and can't come to a conclusion so here we go. If I take the keys to my safe will this be an issue? If I thought the guy was gonna saw it open when I'm gone and kill people/sell them I wouldn't even bother, but my thought's don't mean poo poo.

He can't have them in his care, but if he can't access them either is that 'care'? Should I just try to find less felonious friends or hope someone doesn't break into my place?

I'm thinking it's a bad idea, but I literally have no one else in the state who will take them for me.

If you really have no other option you could explain this situation to a pawn shop and probably strike a deal where you pawn them now and buy them back when you get back. You’ll take a loss.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Organza Quiz posted:

Welp thread thanks I guess. I think I just assumed since felons can't vote they obviously can't hold office as well but of course that wouldn't necessarily be the case. Good luck, American friends.

It’s overall not a bad thing that a jury can’t effectively single out people and say “you can’t run.”

If someone is impeached and convicted that can be a term, I think.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sub Rosa posted:

No one said I was hosed, they just said they didn't do it.

So, uh, this worked. They are going to buy it back.

Market must’ve gotten a little better since you bought it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

neogeo0823 posted:

yeah, that was my thinking as well.

Right now our biggest concern is my pay. My wife's kinda freaking out about it because we're pretty low on funds overall. Mostly, I just wish I'd been given a date to return to work, or some kind of confirmation that I'm being fired or whatever. It's the uncertainty, you know?

Would anyone be willing to listen to the the details via PMs and give me their thoughts on the matter? The story's nothing egregious, and honestly it's really stupid, but knowing the details might give you some better insight into the matter.

IANAL but work for a company and see this happen pretty often in my role.

We suspend “pending investigation” for two reasons. The first is that something very serious has happened and we can’t allow you to work until we find out what exactly it was. Like we know one of two people is stealing but need time to figure out which one and don’t want them stealing more in the meantime. This is maybe 5% of the time. Probably less.

The other 95%+ of the time it’s because we are firing you, but we owe you your last check when we fire you so we suspend you till the check comes, then we fire you.

The more dumb you think the reason is the more likely you fall in the second bucket.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

neogeo0823 posted:

That's kinda my fear, yeah. It's odd though, since both of us have direct deposit. Why not just fire us on the spot on a friday and let the check deposit and be done with it?

I wonder if either of us have any recourse if that's the case. My coworker is a combat vet with PTSD, and I've got ADHD, and we've both been severely depressed about working in what's absolutely a hostile work environment, fostered by the very manager that's initiated all of this. Considering nothing was signed, and we weren't given any further info than "you're being sent home now. You'll be paid for the rest of the day. You are not to return until we call you back", I wonder if we can get some kind of wrongful termination judgement or something out of this. The other possibility is that corporate is visiting the site this week for a major thing, and the manager might be keeping us both home because they believe we're gonna bad mouth then to their corporate overlords. I dunno. Either way, I need to find another job.

Are you paid on Friday for that week’s hours or the previous weeks’? We pay for the previous weeks’ so we’d still owe you a check for a week if we fired you on Friday of a week you worked.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

neogeo0823 posted:

We're paid the following week. So my check from this past week will be paid out this coming Friday. Though, I'm not entirely sure how that's going to effect anything when it comes to being let go from a job? I've never heard of someone being let go from a job and not just having their final check direct deposited or mailed to their home address afterward. Like, if they're just having me sit out for a week with no pay for no reason, that's both incredibly petty and also dumb. But that's par for the course for this guy, so... :shrug:?? So they're going to, what, call me Friday and fire me over the phone, and I'm going to respond with "Well, yeah, I figured. That's why I spent all week polishing up my resume and applying to places."

I guess they might try to say that they never officially suspended me, due to the lack of paperwork, and that I just cold quit for no reason? But then they shoot themselves in the foot that way as well, because there's two of us on this, and at least half a dozen witnesses to say that they suspended us.

It’s possible it’s a California thing but we are supposed to have the check in hand to give you for all hours worked when we terminate you. So yeah, you sit at home for a week (or a few days, we’ll request payroll to cut the check ASAP and usually get it Tuesday or Wednesday if we start the process on a Friday) then we’ll call you in and terminate you. It’s dumb but it’s how it works.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I had a thought this morning about my whole situation with work. I never signed any paperwork saying I was suspended from work. My state has a three day limit for job abandonment. Today is the third consecutive day I've been out of work, and my employer hasn't contacted me in any way yet, and I've not attempted to contact them. How possible do you think it is that they're going to just say I abandoned the job to try and screw me out of unemployment? After all, if they have no paperwork saying I was suspended, they can try to argue that I was never suspended, and thus had no reason for missing work, thus I abandoned the job.

Should I try to politely email HR today and ask for a status update or something?

Again IANAL but I have been on the other end of this many times. A polite email shouldn’t hurt, but there’s about a 99.9% chance they’re just waiting for your last check to arrive so they can bring you in and terminate you.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Unemployment question. This is in California.

My wife had a full time W-2 job, and she started her own business on the side. The side business is something she is going to make a career of but she couldn’t keep it and her full time job going at the same time so she asked for a reduction in hours. Her employer said no but that they’d keep her around at a reduction of hours until they hired her replacement and she trained them. Now a couple months later the replacement is in place and she only has a couple more weeks with the company.

Her new thing is ramping up but she isn’t making as much from it as she did her old work yet. It’ll get there but it could be several months.

I was under the impression that, since she was still willing to work the reduced hours and her employer is letting her go anyway, that she would be able to claim partial unemployment for the difference between what she’s making with the new thing and what she made before. She doesn’t think she can, and I haven’t really been able to find this specific situation online. Does anyone know if an unemployment claim is worth filing in this situation?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Skunkduster posted:

For street level dealers, is there any legal benefit to claiming their profits from drug sales when they file taxes? Like, when it comes to court, is the judge going to offer leniency or a reduced charge because they paid their taxes on the money they earned from selling drugs?

In a sense yes because you’ve broken one less law, so there’s one less thing they can charge you with. But they won’t go easier on you on the drug charges themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you hid rocks in tall grass that had been driven through a lot it might be an interesting case. Putting big visible rocks on your property probably wouldn’t be though.