Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Are fire certs typically transferrable from state to state? Since my hopes of getting a spot as a trainee anywhere in CA is pretty much nil, would it be a dumb move to get a trainee spot in another state and hope to transfer to Cali in a few years?

Also, will military FF experience be a big plus or will it just be grouped with military experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

FooGoo posted:

Are fire certs typically transferrable from state to state? Since my hopes of getting a spot as a trainee anywhere in CA is pretty much nil, would it be a dumb move to get a trainee spot in another state and hope to transfer to Cali in a few years?

Also, will military FF experience be a big plus or will it just be grouped with military experience?

That depends. Each state is in charge of their own firefighting certifications. Organizations like IFSAC and Pro Board can help with reciprocity. In Texas, the IFSAC seals are recognized and you just apply for certification with your seals. If you don't have the seals, you have to get prior training certified as equivalent and you will still have to take and pass the skills tests and written exams.
http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/standards/transferring.asp

Military FF experience is generally a plus, and many places give veterans extra points during the hiring process as well.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Okay bros, what are yalls workout plans?

I'm p sore from lugging hose around everywhere.

(also, "WE'RE RUNNING 4 LINES WHY ARENT WE GETTING ENOUGH WATER UGH")
(you should probably be using that 5inch supply you got tucked away in the corner)

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

Okay bros, what are yalls workout plans?

A little subforum called W&W...

Though for actual content. I'm still pretty much a fatbody, and would probably fail the training academy right now if I tried, but when I'm at the gym I do deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press, and cardio/strength endurance stuff (pushups, pullups, crunches, stair master, row machine, kettlebells).

Endurance is more important than pure strength.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

FooGoo posted:

Sorry man Cali is pretty hosed. I heard Cal Fire is hiring for contract work though. Do not expect serious work out of them. Since Cal is basically out of cash I would advise you to move and start someplace else. Get your Paramedic Cert and go from there.

Military time helps but not really any certs besides Paramedic. Airports hire Mil guys but it is a stepping stone. Thing is a lot of what you learn in Mil classes is specific for the Military ( like searching with a hand line....lmao! ). It is a good base but when your in recruit class get ready for tons of specific training.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Why isn't there an ask/tell?

I mean, theres this thread, but A/T is way more hi-viz and I see this as more of "firefighter chat" than "Hey ya'll dudes wanna hear some poo poo?"

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

invision posted:

Why isn't there an ask/tell?

I mean, theres this thread, but A/T is way more hi-viz and I see this as more of "firefighter chat" than "Hey ya'll dudes wanna hear some poo poo?"

There's one like, once a year. Most of us bs in the GBS EMS thread though.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Marx posted:

There's one like, once a year. Most of us bs in the GBS EMS thread though.

Which is now in Goon Doctor.

There have been regular ask/tell's, but they just never last. This has been the best so far, and it's not really keeping much momentum.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

senor punk posted:

Which is now in Goon Doctor.

Which explains why I wasn't able to find it during my irregular perusals. :riker:

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Marx posted:

Which explains why I wasn't able to find it during my irregular perusals. :riker:

I had been wondering where it went as well.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Marx posted:

On the other hand, if you're irregular, TGD can probably help you

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

Slippery posted:

:rimshot:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

Slippery posted:

dear goon doctor,

My teeth hurt and I haven't crapped in a week. After googling these symptoms I found that I may have lung cancer, please help.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Someone else post in here please :(

Lesson I Learned Today:

"These carbon fiber SCBA tanks will fuckin' explode if you drop 'em!"

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

invision posted:

Lesson I Learned Today:

What if you fall/something falls on you while wearing it? That seems a bit odd, especially given the abuse our fiberglass tanks took on the boat.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Lesson I Learned Today:

Must have not been a Scott. We use those at work. Have seen them seriously hosed up. Never ever had a issue ever. Those carbon fiber tanks rock.

Speaking of SCBA. We are helping testing these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7tjnQDsrP4

Apparently a whole Bat. is supposed to have them in 2011-12 for their scheduled replacement packs.

Loco179 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 23, 2010

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

invision posted:

Lesson I Learned Today:

Maybe if you dropped them from the tenth story or something. SCBA tanks are pretty durable. They have to be, since they are on the back of SCBA, they take a lot of abuse.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Loco179 posted:

Must have not been a Scott. We use those at work. Have seen them seriously hosed up. Never ever had a issue ever. Those carbon fiber tanks rock.

Speaking of SCBA. We are helping testing these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7tjnQDsrP4

Apparently a whole Bat. is supposed to have them in 2011-12 for their scheduled replacement packs.

While the new flat pack design is definitely interesting and won't get caught up on wires like what we have now, any firefighter with any training knows to roll over with your bottle in the corner and slide when presented with a bunch of hanging wires like that.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Yeppers I know. I think they were just trying to prove a point.

I had some questions about it though. You keep your mouth shut when a Deputy Chief is talking about it. I wondered about bottle changes. I know they will fit our Scott regs because that is what they are using. Apparently they did well in the flashover chambers phase 1 and 2. They are going into training burns soon. They are supposed to be out in the busy company's this summer for testing.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I mean, I wanted to say something and be like "well, what happens if something falls on the tank then??" but the guy has been there waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than me and I wasn't about to start talking poo poo you know?

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Oh no. I know you were not. There are questions that need to be asked.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Heya folks! Just checking in here. I've been accepted into my local Fire Department as a volunteer probationary member pending a physical (comprehensive) and an agility test (which pretty much everyone that has ever taken it passes). Frankly it looks like an awful lot of fun.

Anything I should be aware of while (assuming I pass the physical / agility test) I get my Fire Fighter I Certification?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Val Helmethead posted:

Heya folks! Just checking in here. I've been accepted into my local Fire Department as a volunteer probationary member pending a physical (comprehensive) and an agility test (which pretty much everyone that has ever taken it passes). Frankly it looks like an awful lot of fun.

Anything I should be aware of while (assuming I pass the physical / agility test) I get my Fire Fighter I Certification?

Congrats man. I still havnt been to a fire (I'm getting voted in next monday!) but all of the training I've done so far has been a lot of fun.

Question:Tonight we did tanker shuttling/driving training. I know that I have to have a CDL Class B to drive any of the apparatuses, but does anyone know what exactly I have to do to get it? As far as I can tell I just go down to the DMV and tell them to hook me up.

Also what's your guys opinion of vollies having lights and sirens on their POVs? Personally, I think it's kinda "look at me" but it seems like everyone else out here has some kind of set up going on with their vehicle. (Not that I'm about to go drop money for anything, I think flashers + living ~3 minutes away from the station is good enough.)

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Val Helmethead posted:

Awesome, congratulations! I've been a probie for about 4 months now myself so I can give you a few pointers. When you get to the fireground try to stay close to an experienced guy and when they aren't busy ask them a few questions. There isn't really such a thing as a dumb question and now is really the time to learn how everyone works. Try to volunteer to do anything you can and usually people will let you try something out if you ask. Don't hesitate to grab a piece of equipment, or pack hose, or take over something for a more experienced guy. Busting your rear end will get you noticed. Get as much experience as you can. Try to learn where everything is on every truck you have as soon as possible. The most important thing is to stay safe. Sounds stupid, but make sure you wear your seatbelt (even on the truck), take your time driving to calls/the fire house, keep your gear in good shape, etc. You don't want to be the guy who gets in a wreck on the way to a call and have your own department have to come get you, and even more you don't want to get a ticket for reckless driving and have the Chief murder you.

invision posted:

Also what's your guys opinion of vollies having lights and sirens on their POVs? Personally, I think it's kinda "look at me" but it seems like everyone else out here has some kind of set up going on with their vehicle. (Not that I'm about to go drop money for anything, I think flashers + living ~3 minutes away from the station is good enough.)
It's nice to have some lights on your car when you're parked on the side of the road at a call, and if people can resist the urge to drive like maniacs it can help getting to the station, but they're really not necessary to use all the time.

Cage Kicker fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 30, 2010

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

Depends on the area being covered and the people with the lights. The department I volunteered at stopped giving people permission to have lights at some point, and while everyone that came after that bitched, I really think it was the right move. Too many people wanted to just use them to drive wayyyyy too fast to the firehouse (cough cough Kashew cough), or in other irresponsible ways. If you are in a rural enough area where members respond to the scene in their personal vehicle and one person gets the apparatus there then I can see a greater need for it.

Ultimately consider the risk you put yourself at in order to try and respond to the station that much faster. How many times does your department get a "real" call? Is it worth risking your life to make it on the engine for the false alarm?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

420 wash trucks errday

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Just got back from a training fire. Interior firefighting is literally better than sex.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

Just got back from a training fire. Interior firefighting is literally better than sex.

I start FF1 in a few weeks. This is intensely good news.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

invision posted:

Man, either you're doing sex wrong or I am...

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

I start FF1 in a few weeks. This is intensely good news.

Well, let me elaborate.

I got a call about 10:30 this morning saying "Hey, the fire department in the next town over is burning down an old house, wanna come play?"

Well gently caress yeah I do.

So, we show up to the fire and hang out and chill with the other departments there for a bit. I was the second group to go in, second on the line. They had lit the back rooms on fire. I was kinda of nervous when we were waiting to go in. As soon as we stepped through the door I thought "Oh God, what have I gotten myself into?"

As soon as we turned the corner and hit the hallway and I felt the heat, I completely forgot about being a pussy and went straight to doin' work. I know lots of people compare lots of different things to sex, but honestly, the crazy adrenaline rush, the super-intense concentration, and realizing you're standing in a loving building that is legitimately on fire is by far the best thing I have ever done in my life. You completely forget about how heavy your gear is, how hung over you are, and everything else that isn't mission-critical. It's really hard to describe dude, but if you can get over the initial "WHY AM I RUNNING INTO THE FIRE?" and get yourself in there, you'll understand.

Some pics from after we let it burn:

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
We're not allowed to do acquired structure burns since this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSpoUUFBBM

That happened and everyone around here shat bricks.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

We're not allowed to do acquired structure burns since this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSpoUUFBBM

That happened and everyone around here shat bricks.

:drat:

Why'd it blow up? Youtube comments are all retarded so according to them it's either a nuke or the illuminati.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

invision posted:

:drat:

Why'd it blow up? Youtube comments are all retarded so according to them it's either a nuke or the illuminati.

They used Class B fuel sources...meaning they dumped diesel in every room of the house and let it sit for a few hours before throwing the flare at it. It's like the example of what not to do in the state fire class that you take if you oversee live fire drills.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

:shlick: "You're a firefighter?"
:smug: "yeah, but"
:shlick: "That's so hot. you're sexy"
:smug: ":smug:"

I see no downside to this job.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

:shlick: "You're a firefighter?"
:smug: "yeah, but"
:shlick: "That's so hot. you're sexy"
:smug: ":smug:"

I see no downside to this job.

Fringe benefits are the greatest.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

We need more people in this thread damnit. I wanna talk about how awesome all of us are.

Also, FYI, going through the SCBA box with a blacked out mask is p fun.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

We need more people in this thread damnit. I wanna talk about how awesome all of us are.

Also, FYI, going through the SCBA box with a blacked out mask is p fun.

I hated those. I always got caught up on the drat buddy-breathing connection doing half the stuff.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
This thread makes me miss my jolly volly days. So much hope. Now 4 years since I stopped being active in that stuff I'm just another cynical rear end in a top hat doing EMS because that's where the jobs are. Maybe someday FDNY Fire will hire people again :unsmith:.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

This thread makes me miss my jolly volly days. So much hope. Now 4 years since I stopped being active in that stuff I'm just another cynical rear end in a top hat doing EMS because that's where the jobs are. Maybe someday FDNY Fire will hire people again :unsmith:.

Just don't come back. It's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

Just don't come back. It's terrible.

I know, I do have facebook.

• Locked thread