Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

invision posted:

Have a motherfucking video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6ghpkNv6w&feature=youtu.be

Thats a nice babies first fire video. Also loving the yahoos standing around eating luna bars with there yellows untucked. Do you guys not carry packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Haha. Engine crew?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Honey Badger posted:

Does anyone here have an experience with wildnerness firefighting as opposed to "regular" work? Is it an entirely different process? Do you have to go through the state / national government as opposed to your local departments? I'm trying to get a feel for all the opportunities in the career field as I prepare to head back home, and it sounds pretty rewarding. (And I'm not going to lie, "smokejumping" looks like an awesome job even though I know nobody starts off doing that and actually getting to that point is probably drat-near impossible)

I worked for a couple years on an engine crew and then a long time on a hotshot crew. Its all federal, and if you really want to spend a summer doing it getting a job is not hard. Just go online and apply to a bunch of different places where you haven't been and want to go and pick one. Engine if you want to be fat and lazy or hand crew if you want to be a little less fat and lazy.

You will never be a smokejumper sorry bud. The government is trying to phase them out, there are very few bases around the country and most years the bases don't even accept new recruits. Once you become a jumper you are one for life as long as you can run 3 miles every year in the allotted time. Plus the physical demands are loving rediculous... oh you did a mock fire for a week digging line all day with only a few hours of sleep? Good job, now run the 24 miles home!

It's kind of like people who are joining the marines to be a SEAL, not going to happen

invision posted:

Nonono, we have air packs, but we don't have the wildland packs with snacks and candy and shelters.

Haha look at this structure guy pssh

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

old dog child posted:

I just shot off an application to the California Conservation Corps for a 6 month long "Wildland Fire Training". My chances seem pretty good because it pays poo poo and it's only available to National Guard members. I have a feeling the job is going to not be worth the pay since wildfire season is approaching... Do any goons do this kind of firefighting?

Do you like being/sleeping outside and working really hard in hot weather and like (maybe) seeing cool forest fires? I was on a hotshot crew for a few years so if you have any questions I can try to answer them

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Lattie posted:

Hey Ya'll I recently finished my arduous pack test for wildland firefighting and now I've got to get some boots. The Forest Service does reimburse up to $300.00 a year so that really helps out. The question I have though is should I get something like Drew's which are right at the price I need or should I go for something like Whites or Scarpas? It all pretty overwhelming.

Here's the Drew's I was considering (not in purple though, hah!) https://drewsboots.com/product/hathorn-smokejumper-style-110v

I know this was from Nov but for sure step up and get whites and then about 12 pairs of 100% merino wool socks. I would use anywhere from 2 pairs to 10 in a 2 week roll. This will be the biggest comfort you can give yourself. They really don't like you wearing compression shorts but I'd get a couple pairs and just never change my underwear, you can't smell yourself anyway but you definitely realize how bad you smell when the public stares at you on the way home

invision posted:

Depending on what size feet you have, I've got a brand new pair of White's, still in the box, never even tried them on that I'll sell for super cheap.

Do you still have these from this post months ago/what size are they?

windshipper posted:

Absolutely. lovely, lovely hard work though if you're on the line (you probably will be). You just have to get certified first though. That said, in WA this year, the fires were so bad that at one point they were taking people off the street.

*you still had to have a active red card to get on the line otherwise you were just volunteering in camp

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

invision posted:

I think they're 9.5's. Might be 10? If you're interested I'll go find them.

Too big, thanks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

gently caress, hot summer for the wildland guys. Always is but my friend just left AZ. Yikes

• Locked thread