Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ironsights posted:

:stare: This loving rescue (I recommend muting it though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

I'm pretty sure I would have poo poo my gear if I was that guy on the top of the ladder.

Muting the audio wasn't necessary for me, I was saying the same things as that woman in my head anyway. I feel like I need a cigarette after watching that, holy gently caress. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

That sounds like Operations level? This will be Technician, for suiting up and going into the hot zone. I understand the practical part of it is a lot of dam/dike/divert and how to move barrels, but there's rumors of chemistry stuff. Or do you mean the chemistry stuff is reading placards and looking things up because that's what I'd expect actually.

Yeah it's ops and the Chem stuff is limited to things like "will <insert dangerous chemical> change state at its vapor point and become a different type of hazard." It's easy stuff and most of it is open book (using the ERG).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Awesome. That's what I was figuring too but people were taking like it was biochem. Then again the same people think EMT is just under rocket powered brain surgery in complexity so that figures.

This is an accurate comparison. :eng99:

e: there were people that failed the first test in both classes. I did not know how that was possible. (not being sure what the national standard is, for those out of state, 'failing' is a 60/65% correct with one retest allowed for scores between 65-69% with a max of 2[? I think?] retests)

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 29, 2014

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Wait Hiro do you have Hazmat Technician? Did I miss a MFRI Hazmat Tech because this one in Western Region is the first one I've seen not a million miles away.

Hazmat Ops but the only difference is that its outside the hot zone vs. in. I don't see myself being anywhere near a hazmat hot zone any time soon so haztech is probably going to be last on my to-do list, cert-wise. But at least I know how to use the ERG, and call for the guys who actually spend their entire careers doing this type of thing! :eng101:

Oh, and don an L1/2 suit like a pro. Women love that.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I would never suggest you take up this awful game, but one of the squad guys at my old department would play WoW during slow nights and inevitably every time he started a raid the squad would get toned out.

it was always a stuck elevator too :ssh:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Y'all hear about this yet? http://www.emsworld.com/news/11855547/los-angeles-county-fire-department-cheating-scandal

In other fire-related news, I'm finally about to start FF I/II after having to repeat Haz Mat Ops since my cert didn't transfer states. Probably not a bad idea to have to do it again, since VA's is a bit more intense than MD's was and at a Fire/EMS department instead of a primarily EMS rescue company now I could see it potentially being a more likely thing to be expected to do.

Still really pumped about FF I/II starting next week. :clint:

All of this is as a vollie (in case that wasn't clear), but I did put in an application last December to the local county department and sat for the written test at the beginning of this month. Huge, huge crowd at the testing center (and it was only one of the four test administrations total) for a department with 26 sqmi total service area and 10 stations so I don't expect to make it past this first cut, but still eager to find out either way. Should hear about it at some point next week as well.

I've also put in apps all over the eastern seaboard though, even though I really don't want to leave DC. Including one as a Federal firefighter for the VA at Perry Point, which seemed kind of weird in concept but might turn out to be cool.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Thanks for the info and encouragement. I pretty much assumed that a not-insignificant percentage of the people who applied with me had their P cert already and with thousands of applicants (based on the numbers taking the test just on my day), statistics alone would have a pretty good chance of eliminating me off the bat. Plus a probably decent percentage of applicants who already had actual-firefighting experience (I don't, just a few years as a vollie and no practical fire experience) or even a full rack of IFSAC/EMT-B certs, and some probably with all of the beforementioned and a P cert to boot.

Still, this is all pretty much managing expectations on my part, I don't have anything really to base that speculation on other than the knowledge that career fire/ems is incredibly competitive.

I'm 29 but I'm in decent enough shape and the fire training I have been through so far has not been a problem (probie class at my vollie department and the practicals for hazmat both before and again now). Taxing at points, sure, but that's true for anyone. Cardio is my only real weak point, though with my current level of fitness I don't feel worried about having the time to really tackle that aggressively before I have to worry about even the medical clearance, let alone being in a recruit class or on the job. Had the same physicals more than once as a vollie so I know what's involved.

It is the CPAT they're using but I'm familiar enough with the test setup that I can get a sense of the physical requirements and it doesn't scare me on paper. If I get past the written, I plan to attend the two CPAT practice sessions that come before the real one and I'll have a better understanding of how aggressively I'll need to train up after the first one. There's going to be a couple months between the first practice and the third for-real test and I'm confident that I can fit any training needs in there. If I get past the written I'm going to start working on cardio right then, though.

The one leg up that I know I have is that I started volunteering originally to do EMS, and that's still the most important part of fire-rescue service to me. I'm well aware that a lot of firefighters do EMS only reluctantly at best, so if I can get to the panel interview step with a department I will definitely have a good story to tell them. Plus I know beyond a doubt that it's the career for me, after 8 years of office jobs, I'm ready to declare that white collar is for sissies.* Apparently according to the county fire chief, people get to the point in the process of taking a job offer and deciding--in recruit school :stare:--that it's not the job for them. Yeezus.

*Sort of half-joking, I know some people prefer to spend their lives volunteering only and I don't look down on that at all. Personally though, I'm tired of the bullshit that comes in an office and if I had to pick a perfect job, my answer would be "something that every time you wake up for it you can know will make a difference that day."

Untagged posted:

Nothing is cool about Cecil County.

If you want to stay in DC but want something different go work for MWAA, the pay is good and you'll eat, sleep, run mutual aid, and occasionally run actual calls on the airport.

Yep this is true but they won't hire people without all of their certs, which I don't. Also god only knows when they'll look to be hiring again and with only 150 total spots on their rolls the competition will be endless regardless of the exact number of hiring spots they'll be looking for.

Regardless of how far I make it in this hiring process I'm going to keep getting certs for the next one so I may well get there eventually though. Including my medic cert if I go that long.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 27, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

windshipper posted:

For some people, the time commitment and/or the bodily commitment just isn't worth it to them. I think that's a fair choice to make at that point. I can't speak from experience when it comes to being full time/career firefighter, right now I'm only at a halfway point (part-time firefighter/emt at two departments). However, the way I see it, if your heart isn't in it for whatever reason, then that's a fair choice to make. Otherwise, your job is to throw yourself, your body, and potentially your future health or life in it for something that you don't really want to do that badly. If that ends up being the case for you, then is it really the best choice for you or your community? Making the choice at that point, in my mind, is probably a wise one.

I guess that's true, but if someone got to the point of being in a paid department's academy recruit class before deciding that being a firefighter wasn't for them, not only did they screw at least one person out of their dream job, but they wasted a poo poo ton of time for a whole mess of folks with nothing to show for it. That's pretty aggravating all by itself. I agree with your basic point though.

I mean even leaving aside volunteering, pre-service education and everything else as far as options to try before you buy so to speak, how do you even get to that point in the recruitment process, as long as it takes, before you figure it out? Mind boggling.

windshipper posted:

As far as the CPAT, you say you're familiar with the set up, I don't know if that means if you've taken it or not, but if you haven't...

Just keep moving. Don't stop moving at any point and don't take any time to think on anything beyond the task you're doing right then and there. Not even when you're walking between tasks - just focus on what you need to do right then and there. It's not that hard, especially in the scope of things you'll potentially have to do in your career as far as I see it. I've done it while out of shape - it sucked - but I passed with well over a minute and a half to spare simply because I just never took the time to realize how much it sucked right then. Just keep moving.

Good advice. I haven't taken the exact CPAT before but through a combination of training evolutions and skills exercises that basically approximate all of the CPAT stations in one form or another, I feel like I have a good picture of how it would play out and I'd bet it'd be similar to your experience (one foot in front of the other, don't think how much it sucks until you're done, etc.). The instructors for my probie school were really good and made a point to include a lot of CPAT-like physical exercises, which I can credit for a lot of my confidence in my ability to pass it now and be thankful for that.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 28, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
No, actually that all fits completely with what I was thinking. I already know that the 3:20 on the stairmill is going to kill me more than anything else having done 10+ story equivalent stair climbs in full structural kit already, the main (big) difference being that the CPAT is a metered pace, but if I can get through that then the rest of it is a breeze by comparison.

Cardio, cardio cardio son.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yup, and now I'm wishing I had timed myself on that aforementioned stair climb, but welp. Pretty sure it was over 3:20 in any case. Just gives me a reason to do it again at least a few more times, but with a physical goal in mind.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I've heard of this but I think it's a west coast thing maybe? I remember seeing it mentioned in a lot of CA and a couple of Midwest departments' hiring processes but nothing on the east coast hirings that I have seen.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Not a whole lot so far that's been worse than doing decon and damming practicals for hazmat in sub zero temperatures with a leaky boot. I can't ever bring enough socks. :shepface:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Just found out today that I passed the written portion of the test. Scrambling to make sure I can get the rest of my documentation together before the deadline in a little less than three weeks so that I can take the CPAT and move on. Family is pulling out all the stops so far helping to dig up the old stuff for me that I still need which is great, because I don't want to have to rely on central records places in Podunk County to keep myself in the recruitment process right now.

I swear to god paperwork is a fine loving FD tradition, if I do say so myself.

E: and somehow I need to hold down my day job amidst all this too.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 4, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

IronDoge posted:

Every cert I get I scan in with my phone and upload to my Dropbox. I use Handy Scanner to process the doc and save it as a pdf.

Oh I'm not talking about that kind of documentation. I'm talking about stuff like my college diploma and certified transcript, high school diploma and certified high school transcripts from each high school I attended (I went to two :psyduck:), certified driving records from every state I've lived in, criminal records checks from the same, etc. A few need to be notarized as well.

It's seriously a mind-blowing about of documentation. I'm about halfway done and hopefully can get the rest of it together, including whats already working its way through the mail system right now, before the deadline.

At least being local I have a tiny bit of a convenience advantage in that I can drop the packet off in person if need be rather than having to mail it, but still, sheesh.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
National Registry Paramedic is probably the number 1 thing that will give you a boost anywhere when applying to a department.

Seconding that you please not apply if you plan to leave a department after a few years to do something else. However, there are part-time paid on-call firefighter positions available in many rural areas that might be more to your liking. I believe windshipper works two such positions at the same time and can explain more how that works.

Volunteering is really not necessary, but if you want to be a full service firefighter (Fire-Rescue-EMS), a department that doesn't have its own recruit academy (i.e. a publicly-funded county or municipality) may not let you apply even with a medic certification. Volunteering might be a way to get the other certifications you want in the meantime before applying (e.g., FF I/II, EVOC III, HazMat Operations, Technical Rescue, etc.) as they will sponsor you for classes in most cases, and you will get a chance to work inside the department taking shifts at the same time.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 9, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

IronDoge posted:

Had a reefer truck full of frozen chicken crash hard last night and splattered chicken all over the highway. This was also during a torrential downpour. I tell you what, dragging hose through a nasty soup of chicken, diesel, and oil was not the most pleasant thing to be doing at 2 in the morning. I'm just glad I don't have to go back out there after that gunk has a day or two to cook on the hot pavement.

Call the hazmat team! :fireman:

Real talk though I'd be looking forward to decon after wading through that slop just reading about it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
So while in the recruitment process with four departments now, I've passed the written exams for all of them so far and passed the CPAT about 2-3 weeks ago (haven't stopped training though since), so I'm basically waiting on polygraphs all around now, soon as I get that certificate and can hand it to the other departments.

I'm not really sure what to expect from the polygraph(s) to be totally honest. I'm scrupulously honest and fully disclosed everything but I've heard a lot of tales of people "showing deception" when seemingly they'd been completely honest and upfront during the poly. Trying not to let that psych me out, but until I have the first one I'm completely unsure what the progression of it will be and how to feel about it.

I expect to be scheduled for the first poly sometime this month, not sure about the others yet.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Welp I'm studying Tibetan language and as a final oral exam we have a presentation. Rather than some religious topic that's been done to death and which I'd have to translate from my English learning, I'm going to do intro to fire suppression and an overview of fireground operations. Easy vocab, basic concepts, something I'll be able to wing it on if the professor wants to grill me.

Incidentally, in Tibetan, "oxygen" is literally "life bearing wind" which makes EMT drugs sound way cooler.

I hope this isn't a prelude to your inevitable death on Everest.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

Well the captain does not want to take those steps at this time. I can see where it is a liability, but it is not that far off from having a fresh recruit or a firefighter on his last legs physically. I had to look up OSHA standards on theatrical fog because dude was freaking out over it during one of the training sessions.

If anyone wants to look it up, wikipedia has some good links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrical_smoke_and_fog#Adverse_health_effects

Simulated smoke right? The stuff that it's supposed to be simulating is quite a bit worse for you, and the steps for protecting yourself from it are the same. Sounds like a bigger potential for headaches than any fog machine ...

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

windshipper posted:

I work part time at two departments, just moved to a different district with my girlfriend... It's one of the premier fire departments in the county and I looked into volunteering here.

The volunteers in this district? Can't do anything IDLH. Can't use EMT skills. No patient touching, no firefighting, all you do is drive the air truck to incidents and do pub ed and all that. Pub Ed has its benefits, doing drill here has its benefits too given the quality of the department, but what the gently caress? I mean... I work at a department who has a chief who helps write the IFSAC firefighter training manual (not going to mention here...), and I've learned a ton while I've been there. I'm almost certified with them for being an engine operator for them... I mean, being a volunteer for this new district that I've moved to would look good given how the department is thought of in this state, but volunteers with them can't do poo poo. It's honestly embarrassing to have their volunteers have the title of firefighter.

I guess my question is - Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

You just almost literally described the combination system in my county (NoVA). Volunteers are essentially auxiliaries to the paid staff. Volunteers that meet the minimum certification requirements are eligible to ride 3rd on medics/5th on trucks and engines, but members that are not have no options other than ad-hoc special services units. And for volunteers certified to ride, there is otherwise no formal system in place to handle that process once you get placed on the eligible to ride list; it functions almost entirely on having a good, working interpersonal relationship with whatever shift and station you choose to ride with. Essentially you just show up like it's a meet and greet and try to make yourself useful and make friends. Without speaking ill of anyone, I could reasonably say that it's considered... less than optimal by most people here. But it's what we got.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

IronDoge posted:

You also start to look more like a robot than a firefighter with the camera and a voice amplifier on at the same time. Pretty neat!

This sounds interesting. How large of a field of vision did the camera have? I can only imagine it's less than a handheld TIC.

Also wonder how much more terrifying I can be to children with my mask on. Still, wouldn't mind a chance to play with one.

e: what air pack supplier? Scott or MSA?

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 17, 2016

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Holy crap, that looks incredible. Did adding weight to only one side of the head noticeably affect the fit or comfort of the mask? I'm not even sure how to estimate how much it might weigh, but it looks bulky enough to potentially be a factor.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Question for you guys--I recently applied for a job at a nearby county department. After seeing that they offered preference points for county residents in the rankings, I applied using my mother's address instead of my own as she lives in the county.

Is this something that will come back to bite me in the rear end?

There's still another ~month to go before the test is scheduled to take place so if the consensus is yes I can correct it without a problem. I did live with my mother briefly a bit over a year ago while in the process of moving states and might do the same thing briefly again if I get hired, but mainly I wanted to maximize my odds. I had a recent experience with another nearby department where I was unable to claim the residency preference and I basically wrote my chances off after I got my ranking back--mid 2000s out of around 3500 despite acing the test, on a list that lasts two years. Also this is technically irrelevant to the issue but I did live within the county for ~20 years until my aforementioned move.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

You don't use the small end of the fireaxe? I'm a little disappointed. OTOH, go get the heavy-rear end axe off the truck and swing it vs. a pen-sized tool in your pocket, makes sense. And nowadays the axe on the truck is just a regular axe, the Halligan does all the prying jobs.

On tempered glass the center punch takes zero effort or force, and controlling the shattering is good. For laminated glass a saw is quicker, safer and easier than trying to bash it in, especially considering if you need to it means there's probably a victim in there under it that needs to be extricated.

The pick end of the fireaxe is more for tradition than anything, I think. When I was in fire school someone said it used to be used mostly for vent jobs like pulling shingles and tiles off the roof (rather than prying), but in any case I can't think of something you'd pick a fireaxe to do instead of a tool that is either better at its job (chainsaw, pike pole/roof hook) or more multipurpose (halligan, flathead). Unlike the flathead it's sharp, but if you need something cut there's always a more effective and useful option.

Actually can anyone name something the fireaxe is better at than any other tool? Now that I've thought about it I'm curious.

Crazy Dutchman posted:

You have direct experience with a brand new piece of equipment that was revealed at a trade show less than a month ago? Pretty sure there aren't any of these even in the field yet.

Not sure, but I think he was talking about regular TICs and being over-reliant on them in general.

e: derped and reversed glass types

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 23, 2016

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

For cutting plywood roofs or walls, we will start with the axe side then flip to the flat side to crush our way through.

This is one of my least favorite things to do. It will kick your drat rear end. Great workout though.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Yup, think I put down two or three liters of fluids after the last time I did that. Then I got down, leaned my SCBA back a bit so it hits that nice reclined angle and just sat there on the ground for a while with my coat open. :v:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Heh, you would have seen a lot more than one apparatus for any kind of nonmedical emergency at one of those big box stores.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I think MWAA (the National Airport administration) runs that weird European-like hi-lo electronic siren on their ambulance around here. It sticks out in a big way.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

dexter6 posted:

Most of the rigs I've ever driven have a euro-sounding hi-lo tone built into them. In Europe, it's typically two physical horns that produce the different tones, not an electronic siren.

Hmm, the latter must be what it was then. It definitely wasn't a typical hi-lo. You're more of a siren nerd than I am though, so who knows.

I wish I could remember which department it was though, cause I'm still not positive it was MWAA, only pretty sure.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Firefighters in Dubai get some pretty cool toys:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2017/jan/23/dubai-firefighters-aided-by-water-jetpacks-video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99P9GlqLDec

I'm not a firefighter and while that looks awesome, it seems wildly impractical in practice.

how on earth does the operator brace against the backpressure like that. This cannot possibly be a 125 gpm flow.

e: yeah it's clearly not, I shouldn't have stopped the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Do you float when wearing bunker gear? That seems appropriate for the OSHA thread.

lol OSHA in the middle east

Lol actually, it turns out that you do. You can even sorta snorkel with it but a few feet down the pressure differential would likely be pretty uncomfortable and the demand valve would basically stop operating correctly.

Good to know if you work around bodies of water or something where there's a risk of falling in while wearing full kit, but don't expect to be able to do water rescues or something with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VMkH9N1ELk

e: also as you might expect, the thermal layer in your bunkers gets real heavy when it gets waterlogged.

• Locked thread