Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking for large municipal departments (Los Angeles specifically), I've been hearing more and more that you really need to have your Paramedic nowadays to be competitive. I also know of candidates working as EMTs, with fire certs and academy, HAZMAT, Explorer and volunteer work not being able to find a job.

With that said, are my chances of getting hired as a Trainee essentially nil unless I take ~2-3 years off work to get my medic and certs? Are the days of hiring guys off the street and sending them through the training over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008

con posted:

Most full time positions require a general knowledge test, lie detector, psych eval, Paramedic Cert, 240 firefighter cert, physical ability test, and if you pass all of that stuff you get an interview!

If you have a degree and/or military experience you get a bunch of extra points.

Is there any possible way to get your FF certs other than pay to go to an academy or take ~1-2 years off to go to school?

I realize it's pretty much impossible to get hired to LAFD nowadays, especially when I already work full time. But it doesn't hurt to dream...

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Are fire certs typically transferrable from state to state? Since my hopes of getting a spot as a trainee anywhere in CA is pretty much nil, would it be a dumb move to get a trainee spot in another state and hope to transfer to Cali in a few years?

Also, will military FF experience be a big plus or will it just be grouped with military experience?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
I just found out that County is holding written trainee testing in January 2011. Does that mean there may be hope in the not-too-distant future to score a trainee slot in CA? Or do they typically test without hiring or are they populating a 10-year waitlist like FDNY?

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
What can you guys tell me about being a FF with bad vision?

I am correctable to 20/20 with glasses or contacts, but without them, my vision is pretty bad (-7.50). One trainee job posting says "Visual acuity not worse than 20/70 uncorrected". Since I'm obviously beyond that limit, will I be wasting my time if I apply anyway? Do waivers exist or will I be DQ'ed, end of story?

I've asked a few FF's but no one could give me a clear answer other than they know some FF's who wear glasses. Thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
If I don't meet the medical requirements for vision, should I still bother applying? Would large metro departments have a waiver process like the military or will I be SOL and have wasted a lot of time?

• Locked thread