Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

My buddy convinced me to join the volunteer FD around our area that he's in. Handing in my application as soon as I get my fingerprints done for a background check. Hopefully I'll get to start going to classes around next week or so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Only a few hours of safety training between me and making my first call. This process is taking longer than I thought.

Also I'm very sad that this shirt sold out, would have totally worn this.
http://www.threadless.com/product/816/I_m_Sure_I_Used_To_Fit/tab,guys/style,shirt

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Ahahaha, the furries are getting real defensive in the comments.

:catstare:: "Where I grew up it is quite common to rent out fire station halls for parties and events like wedding receptions. I don't see how this is any different."

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I wish someone would steal these european style helmets my company has, so we can just up and buy new ones. It's weird going to take a course at the county fire school and being the only one wearing that style.

Edit:
On an unrelated note, we visited our local bomb squad folks today and played around with their EOD suit, bomb-disposal robot, and portable x-ray. They got neat toys over in bomb squad.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 29, 2012

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Put out my first fire! Okay well, smoldering remains of a fire. Got a call for a smoke investigation and it turned out some dude didn't extinguish a campfire in his yard. Gotta start somewhere I guess :toot:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well I haven't taken vehicle rescue yet, but I learned one important lesson early this morning, stabilize the drat vehicle before you go working on it. Arrived on scene for an MVA with entrapment, another crew is already working to extract the victim. It was a box truck with the front crushed, and the driver had one leg pinned. So the crew who got there first bring out the spreaders and start to work on extracting the guy. Well turns out no one had bothered to chock the truck or put anything down to stabilize the thing. As soon as the guy wedges the spreader in and starts going at it, the truck starts to move. There's an EMT and police officer standing in front who promptly get the gently caress out of the way. The thing goes about 5 feet or so before stopping somehow. It was drat fortunate it was pointed towards the side of the road, otherwise it would have rolled straight into traffic. I can't imagine how the guy stuck in the cab felt when he realized he was moving. Fortunately no one was hurt and we got the guy out fine. But for a moment there, everyone on scene was like :stare:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well that's one way to stabilize a car I suppose :v:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

:stare: What's the story behind this?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

According to this countywide e-mail our departments are going on :siren:level 3:siren: alert on Monday at 12:00 hours. No idea what that means. All I know is that it's time for a shitload of pump duties early next week.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

smooth.operator posted:

How heat resistant is a GoPro? I wouldn't be allowed to have one on anyway but maybe for training fires.
The plastic casing around the GoPro would melt the first time you took it into anything exciting.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/24/webster-new-york-firefighter-shot/1788917/

Jesus christ. Who the hell shoots at someone trying to save homes?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Ladders are a bitch to work off of, but it's sorta part of the job man. Do you not like heights invision?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

That's awesome man! I work right next to an airport and I see their fancy trucks on occasion. Too bad the airport has been struggling, I don't think they'll be hiring anytime soon. :(

Woke up this morning to a car upside down in a tree. Sometimes you just have to wonder how people get their vehicles in the places they do.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Old article, but gotta say firefighting motorcycles would be rad as hell to have.
http://www.dvice.com/archives/2010/07/firefighting-mo.php

Impractical if you're not in a city, but I still want one.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

The stations around my area and my station have a run log posted to their website. Although you'd have to count the specific incidents you're looking for yourself.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Reminalt posted:

His last post was in June, so don't hold your breath.

Fake edit: Unless you're skip breathing :eng101:

Ok I admit it, I laughed a little.

Little less than month to go before our trucks go to a 4-county parade for judging. All 4 trucks, all their tools, insides, and undersides need to be in white glove condition by then. :shepicide:

God forbid we get an actual fire between now and the parade.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

We do an annual hazmat refresher where our county's team comes and goes over procedures with a bunch of departments at once. Is that what they're talking about?

Has anyone heard the new NFPA standard PASS alarm for air packs? Our local salesman demonstrated the new Scott X3 for us and the drat thing sounds like a car alarm. Seemed quieter than the older ones too. According to the new universal standards though that sound is supposed to carry farther so who knows. :shrug: Also the new packs will set off the low air alarm at 1/3 capacity rather than 1/4, so you get to enjoy a vibrating facepiece and annoying beeps even earlier than ususal!

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

So if you get a Mack firetruck, you get a set of gear to go with it.

for the dog! :buddy:
Our salesman for our new tender came by and dropped this off for us last night.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

The stations surrounding mine are crazy over the leathers. Our station however switched over to these a while back:
Heros-XT

We get funny looks and names from other departments, but at least our guys are easy to spot at any scene. I've only ever been with this department, so I couldn't tell you if I'd prefer a regular style one over this one.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Erwin posted:

sorry, but we don't look as goofy as someone in one of those Heros-XTs.

People just can't admit they're jelly of the spaceman helmet :cool:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Our first call for the year was a "dwelling fire" which turned out to be a malfunctioning heater that was smoking slightly.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

So learning that your wedges aren't going to work because a place has recessed sprinklers is an unpleasant thing to figure out when trying to stem the flow out of a broken head. With this cold continuing I can only imagine we're going to get more. At least I know what to do for next time and be a little less soaked.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Winter firefighting certainly adds a lot of "fun" to the job. Especially on the highway when you're fighting a vehicle fire. Portions of the highway vibrate a lot when vehicles drive by, which is awesome when you're trying not to faceplant into the road. Getting leverage to pry open a hood isn't exactly easy either. Of course the first time this happened we neglected to put rock salt on the truck. Turns out the oil dry stuff works just as well in a pinch.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Guess that cop didn't take too kindly to being told no. I understand their priority is to keep the road open and traffic flowing, but that's a little extreme. All the PA state troopers I've dealt with so far seem pretty chill when we get to a scene. I can't even imagine that they'd go so far as to detain one of our crew.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Had a mobile home collapse last night due to ice and snow buildup. Luckily no one was inside. This winter sure is bringing on a lot of new experiences.

Do you guys know what software your officers use to keep track of calls? Our station uses Firehouse Software. I was shown a little bit of how to use it and boy does it seem convoluted. For example to add one firefighter to an apparatus I would have to through around 4 screens and 15 clicks. :psyduck: I suppose due to liability issues detailed records have to be kept, but man does it seem overly complicated.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.statter911.com/2014/03/05/fake-firefighter-ordered-2nd-alarm-refused-come-roof-burning-portsmouth-nh-building/

I can't imagine laddering a roof to rescue someone, then have that person demand that I hand them a hose line when I got up there. :shepface:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

:stare: This loving rescue (I recommend muting it though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

I'm pretty sure I would have poo poo my gear if I was that guy on the top of the ladder.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Nothing a sawzall won't fix.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well I can add "airplane" to the list of things I've lifted.

We had a chain sling in the front and back and used airbags to lift the back end a couple inches off the ground. Had a real scare when one of the airbags kicked out and flew a couple feet. Other than that small mishap, one of the cooler training sessions I've had in a while.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

That sucks you can't get reciprocity for any certs at all. As much as I would hate not running at a department, it sounds like it's definitely not worth the hassle with that place. Especially with those ludicrous time requirements. Is their call volume that ridiculuous they need people manning the station for 24 hour shifts? Also those instructors sound like they need a refresher course themselves. We need the :v: smiley with a fire helmet on it.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Fire with possible entrapment came in the other night. Thought it would just be another house fire and the person would be at their neighbors like usual, but boy was I wrong. Fire was already busting out the windows by the time we got there and the first floor's floor was already burnt through. Found the victim when I was hydraulic venting a room. Cleared it up enough to the point where I spotted the body in the middle of the room on the floor pretty badly charred. I never had any expectations that we can save everyone, but finding a person like that still came as a shock. I find that during the work day the thought of it creeps back into my head and unsettles me a bit. I'm taking a vacation soon so hopefully that'll help take my mind off it. Next time an entrapment call comes in though, definitely will have to prepare myself for the possibility of encountering another body like that.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 13, 2015

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

Just found out today that I passed the written portion of the test. Scrambling to make sure I can get the rest of my documentation together before the deadline in a little less than three weeks so that I can take the CPAT and move on. Family is pulling out all the stops so far helping to dig up the old stuff for me that I still need which is great, because I don't want to have to rely on central records places in Podunk County to keep myself in the recruitment process right now.

I swear to god paperwork is a fine loving FD tradition, if I do say so myself.

E: and somehow I need to hold down my day job amidst all this too.

Every cert I get I scan in with my phone and upload to my Dropbox. I use Handy Scanner to process the doc and save it as a pdf.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Had a reefer truck full of frozen chicken crash hard last night and splattered chicken all over the highway. This was also during a torrential downpour. I tell you what, dragging hose through a nasty soup of chicken, diesel, and oil was not the most pleasant thing to be doing at 2 in the morning. I'm just glad I don't have to go back out there after that gunk has a day or two to cook on the hot pavement.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well I only have about 10 hours of driving time with our engine and I managed to squeeze between a whole line of parked apparatus at a carnival with around 6 inches to spare on each side. A bit nerve-wracking to start but I guess I have a better feel for where I can fit the engine now.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe some cliff bars or whatever to keep your energy up. Cause gently caress fighting brush fires on nothing but a 1 slice bologna sandwich or whatever other drivel they feed you for an entire day.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Some department out in Ohio in letting their staff carry weapons
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/fire-department-allows-firefighters-to-carry-weapo/nXMzT/

This can only end well.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Our local airpack vendor stopped by today with a demo unit of a mask mounted thermal imaging camera. The camera was mounted at eye level on the side of the mask. It linked via bluetooth to a small screen inside the mask which was right on the nose cone. Forward vision wasn't obstructed at all, you just had to look down to see the display. Wasn't heavy at all either. A little pricey though, $1500 per mask. You also start to look more like a robot than a firefighter with the camera and a voice amplifier on at the same time. Pretty neat!

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Manufacturer is Scott. Field of vision was narrower than what'd you'd get from a handheld, but serviceable still. Found an article with a video on it.
http://www.firefighternation.com/videos/missouri-firefighters-using-new-mask-thermal-imager
That'll probably give you a better idea of how it looks. It'd be cool to see where this ends up a couple years down the line. A slimline version of this would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

For me and several other people in the department, we didn't have any noticeable sagging on the side it was mounted on. It's pretty lightweight.

• Locked thread