Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I went to my first local VFD meeting tonight.

I got to spray poo poo with a huge water hose and hook up poo poo to a firehydrant and play around in a $250k big red truck.

This job is the best job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Fact.

Yeah, there's absolutely no doubt about it.

I don't think I can wait a whole nother week to do it again. I feel like a 12 year old.

(and I'm fine with that.)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So I roll up to my second ever Volunteer Fire Department meeting. I get out of my truck and start to walk in when all kinds of sirens and loud poo poo start going off. Some guy goes "Hey you wanna ride?"

Hell yes I do.

It's a car fire.

So, we roll out of the station and it turns from a car fire to "Car fire with infant locked inside."

Jesus, I should have stayed put.

WELP.

It was some drunk guy who hit a curb and saw the sparks from his rimzz grinding on the curb, freaks out and stops his car and runs off. No fire. No baby. No anything.

Then I sat through a 3 hour meeting about not much of anything really. I did get mistaken for someone named "poptart" though. That was fun.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Okay bros, what are yalls workout plans?

I'm p sore from lugging hose around everywhere.

(also, "WE'RE RUNNING 4 LINES WHY ARENT WE GETTING ENOUGH WATER UGH")
(you should probably be using that 5inch supply you got tucked away in the corner)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Why isn't there an ask/tell?

I mean, theres this thread, but A/T is way more hi-viz and I see this as more of "firefighter chat" than "Hey ya'll dudes wanna hear some poo poo?"

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Someone else post in here please :(

Lesson I Learned Today:

"These carbon fiber SCBA tanks will fuckin' explode if you drop 'em!"

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I mean, I wanted to say something and be like "well, what happens if something falls on the tank then??" but the guy has been there waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than me and I wasn't about to start talking poo poo you know?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Val Helmethead posted:

Heya folks! Just checking in here. I've been accepted into my local Fire Department as a volunteer probationary member pending a physical (comprehensive) and an agility test (which pretty much everyone that has ever taken it passes). Frankly it looks like an awful lot of fun.

Anything I should be aware of while (assuming I pass the physical / agility test) I get my Fire Fighter I Certification?

Congrats man. I still havnt been to a fire (I'm getting voted in next monday!) but all of the training I've done so far has been a lot of fun.

Question:Tonight we did tanker shuttling/driving training. I know that I have to have a CDL Class B to drive any of the apparatuses, but does anyone know what exactly I have to do to get it? As far as I can tell I just go down to the DMV and tell them to hook me up.

Also what's your guys opinion of vollies having lights and sirens on their POVs? Personally, I think it's kinda "look at me" but it seems like everyone else out here has some kind of set up going on with their vehicle. (Not that I'm about to go drop money for anything, I think flashers + living ~3 minutes away from the station is good enough.)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

420 wash trucks errday

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Just got back from a training fire. Interior firefighting is literally better than sex.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

I start FF1 in a few weeks. This is intensely good news.

Well, let me elaborate.

I got a call about 10:30 this morning saying "Hey, the fire department in the next town over is burning down an old house, wanna come play?"

Well gently caress yeah I do.

So, we show up to the fire and hang out and chill with the other departments there for a bit. I was the second group to go in, second on the line. They had lit the back rooms on fire. I was kinda of nervous when we were waiting to go in. As soon as we stepped through the door I thought "Oh God, what have I gotten myself into?"

As soon as we turned the corner and hit the hallway and I felt the heat, I completely forgot about being a pussy and went straight to doin' work. I know lots of people compare lots of different things to sex, but honestly, the crazy adrenaline rush, the super-intense concentration, and realizing you're standing in a loving building that is legitimately on fire is by far the best thing I have ever done in my life. You completely forget about how heavy your gear is, how hung over you are, and everything else that isn't mission-critical. It's really hard to describe dude, but if you can get over the initial "WHY AM I RUNNING INTO THE FIRE?" and get yourself in there, you'll understand.

Some pics from after we let it burn:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

We're not allowed to do acquired structure burns since this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSpoUUFBBM

That happened and everyone around here shat bricks.

:drat:

Why'd it blow up? Youtube comments are all retarded so according to them it's either a nuke or the illuminati.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

:shlick: "You're a firefighter?"
:smug: "yeah, but"
:shlick: "That's so hot. you're sexy"
:smug: ":smug:"

I see no downside to this job.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

We need more people in this thread damnit. I wanna talk about how awesome all of us are.

Also, FYI, going through the SCBA box with a blacked out mask is p fun.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

WELL I GUESS GO AHEAD AND ADD ME TO THE LIST OF PEOPLE WHO ARE FIREFIGHTERS.

( seriously where the bros at man )

(p.p.s. we let the local HAMRadio old guys use the station for meetings on tuesdays. I walked in earlier looking for something and walked into the middle of a bunch of old guys telling one old guy that he was kicked out of their club. how sad. theyre all like 85 years old at least. also we apparently use the local boy scout troop to wash trucks. :kickinrad:)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

You can add me as well.

Oh yeah, and guess who put out his first truck fire today? Man it looked like there was magnesium burning in there somewhere too and having fire three feet from your face is like the ultimate drug.

e:im rude. Congrats. Wait till you get to go inside a structure fire though oh god :awesome:

invision fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 8, 2010

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Bro's, some girl at a club tonight showed me the "bunker gear dance" which is pretty much a dance that mimicks putting on bunker gear. It was awesome. hth <3

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Awesome. Now I have a dance to go with my firefighting rap album.

I'll have you know, sir, that I recorded the smash hit single "Fire Truck (go woo)" over a year ago. :colbert:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

My first hit is going to be "Make it rain(on them flames)".

"Blowin' smoke all day (fan truck anthem)"

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So, we jaws'd a person out of a car, and we're standing around while the EMT's do their thing, and this car stops right in front of the scene, and the fattest loving guy I've ever seen rolls down his window and starts taking cellphone pictures. I've never wanted to punch someone in the neckfat so hard.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

psydude posted:

All those months of dealing with fatasses at Outback really helped develop your personal restraint.

It was you wasn't it

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Medic/FF cops advancing bullet-proof-pepper-spray-laced-water hoselines into robbery-in-progress-while-on-fire-and-a-premmie-birth-in-the-lobby banks.

You write the stuff of dreams, sir.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

"Trailer house on fire" means "Trailer house that burned to the loving ground a week ago is kinda smoldering a little."

Thanks, person who called this in at 6am, you're my hero :allears:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Is it wrong to want to get toned out to something?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Well, it's new years eve.
Enjoy all of the awesome drunk-driving extrications tonight.
And grass fires.

e:someone in a big department, please adopt my fd. We can't afford loving radios. Grant money? More like 2-years-too-late money.

e2:and by adopt I mean please send us your old radios. We're all analog, so whatever works you know?

e3:also some of that globe g-extreme bunker gear would be realllllllllll nice.

invision fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 31, 2010

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Loco179 posted:

Analog Radios are the way to go. Digital Radio's are firefighter killers. I believe there was a Mayday in Texas where someone could not get help because of the radio. They said that it was user error not the stupid piece of poo poo that the city overpaid for. How the gently caress can you say in your right mind you need to be in a quiet area to talk in a loving fire? Holy poo poo that is dumb. Sorry my rant is done there.

You do not want my gear after it is done. We are issued 2 sets of gear under five years old.

The G-extreme gear is not all that anyway. Look at the new Morning Pride stuff. It is actually made well. I have 2 sets of the G-extreme at the moment. I miss my old morning pride. I have the middle of the road and the best G-extreme stuff.

Small Departments never ever freaking ask large departments to hop onto bids. We buy fire gear in bulk but its middle of the road style stuff. It is still decent. We get deals of leather boots ( we are issued rubbers ) and leather helmets. Since we have to always work off the bid system its always lowest possible and in my State if you hop onto that bid they have to give you that price.

Yeah, I agree, digital sucks for tactical. But, we can't afford analog radios as it is, and I don't see us going to digital or 800 any time soon, thankfully.

With that said, I'm pretty sure my gear is ~10 years old. It's ratty as hell, and my coat has big splotches of tar from a melting roof all over it. And my lid is a huuuuuuuuuuuge piece of poo poo that doesn't adjust properly to my head, has tar all over it, a crack in the shield, and the rubber around the edge is coming off.

Being a *real* firefighter must be awesome.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Backdraft was on sale today at the mall. $9.00 for the special anniversary edition.

Hell yeah.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Another training fire tonight. I feel like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

We had our gear inspection for FF1 last night and my helmet got a no-go...for being made in 1988 :psyduck:

Don't feel bad. I burned the poo poo out of my knees last night because of how lovely my bunker gear is. Pretty sure my lid was made in the mid-90's.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I'm not wearing a shirt.

I got new bunker gear.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Our dispatchers are... not good?

" _______ Fire Department, _______ Fire Department, there's a uh... telephone pole on fire in front of George's Tavern."

Thanks for the address lady, especially since it was outside of our district and the original department didn't have people to respond. Luckily I'm an alcoholic so I knew where it was :)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Crazy Dutchman posted:

I started my EMS career working in a rural area. In one county alone there were five streets named Pine, 20 or more miles apart. Sometimes the numbers can give a clue to a more specific location, but of course our dispatchers would often fail to get the city name.

We have "allen" "alum" "alums" and "allens" all in one town. It usually goes like this:

"County SO to Fire Department, please respond to 1326 Allens"
"SO, 432, was that alums?"
"432, roger, allen."
"SO, 463, was that allen or alums?"
"Please respond to 1326 alum"

:psyduck:

In good, not complaining news, we had a new guy show up to the meeting tonight. I'm no longer the lowest on the totem pole.

invision fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 25, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Look bro, if you say "my fire alarms goin' off and I see smoke" and we show up and can't find anything, even with the FLIR, then there's no fire. Also, pay for my gas thanks.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Yearly retention checks ftw. Even if they are just like $300.

Must be nice. :smith:

(but seriously, I'm always like 20 seconds too slow to the station, and the majority of our calls are at least 10 miles away, and I get roughly 14mpg. It's killin' me.)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Ahhh, you're in bumfuck where you drive to the scene if you don't make the rig? Alright. I see how that sucks.

And yes, retention checks are nice. It works out to about a dollar for every call, drill, and work detail. I guess we justify it by putting a yearly value on our services by calculating total man hours provided at something like $10 or 15 an hour? We're handing out a few thousand in retention checks instead of a few million in pay checks.

It's just kinda frustrating. The problem (for me at least) would be solved if we had money for radios, that way I could just be like "hey, I'm 10 seconds away from the station, lemme catch a ride." I hate being a little bit too slow and having to follow right behind the truck to a call 20+ miles away, just to show up and have em go "oh, fires out, lets go home"

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Y'all need iamresponding.

:10bux:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So we went from having ~2 calls all month to having 5 separate calls today.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

e: n/m

invision fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 27, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

6 real legitimate fires in 22 hours. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Brutal Hammer posted:

I've had this thread bookmarked for some time now. I applied in November to become a firefighter and took the written test a couple of weeks ago. I just found out that I didn't make the cut. I was hoping to join the ranks of fire fighter goons, but welps. To be honest, I probably wasn't as qualified as some of the folks that applied this round so yea, I hope the guys with experience and that have been waiting awhile passed. But, meh, that kinda ruins some plans so I am going to go ahead wallow for the weekend. I was really looking forward to the CPAT for some reason too.

Become a volly, man. The only downside is you don't get a sweet IAFF sticker to put on your vehicle. But you get to make up for it by having a huge VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER sticker and t-shirts like "TOP 10 THINGS A FIREFIGHTER SAYS BEFORE SEX". You also get to put like $20k worth of lights on your vehicle. It's important that people know!

But seriously though, look around your area and see if there are any volunteer departments near buy. Show up to a meeting, introduce yourself, and go from there.

e:seriously, who wears this bullshit? http://www.funny-tshirts.com/firefighter.php

invision fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 28, 2011

• Locked thread