Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

I know this is some thread necromancy, but I just wanted to stop in and update. I got out of the military at the end of June, and decided to take an EMT class. Just before I started that, I joined my local volunteer fire department. I'm waiting to go to my first class in January (Firefighter 1).

I tried to join my local volunteer (I liked firefighting on my boat) but because of my lovely knee and back, they said they couldn't take me. Stupid Navy ruined everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

Kashew posted:

drat. How bad are your knee and back? Volunteer companies take anyone that can pass a physical usually.

My back has a muscle strain that isn't too bad unless I overdo it on yardwork or whatever. Last winter was hellish because we got more snow than I'm used to. It was an interesting welcome back to New Jersey. I've also got some issues with both ankles (running on Ft. Meade in the dark during command PT, found a couple pot holes the hard way).

My knee is the real issue. I've got a minor meniscus tear with water on the knee and a bakers cyst. I can't run, standing for too long really irritates it, and crouching causes pain almost immediately.
I'm perfectly capable of working through it, like I did while I was in the Navy and medical was ignoring my complaints. I'd just rather not have to. When I went to the physical, I could have easily have bluffed my way through it. I chose not to because I didn't want my physical problems to become a real liability in an emergency, and I don't want to make a minor disability something major.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

invision posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely no doubt about it.

I don't think I can wait a whole nother week to do it again. I feel like a 12 year old.

(and I'm fine with that.)

I had fun doing it on my boat. I'm kind of sad that I'm too broken to do it as a civilian.
Maybe I can at least go EMT...

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

Slippery posted:

On the other hand, if you're irregular, TGD can probably help you

:rimshot:

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

invision posted:

Someone else post in here please :(

Lesson I Learned Today:

"These carbon fiber SCBA tanks will fuckin' explode if you drop 'em!"

What if you fall/something falls on you while wearing it? That seems a bit odd, especially given the abuse our fiberglass tanks took on the boat.

• Locked thread