Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

invision posted:

So there's a real good chance my guard unit is gonna get activated to go get redcards and then hit some of these fires within the next couple of days.
Apparently the guard unit is going to issue us 'all the gear', but I'm not sure where the packs+goodies are coming from, or even what they're giving us besides shirt/pants/lid

My last wildland fire was in like... 2011? 2012? Either way it's been a while, so here's my 'i don't know what we're being issued' packing list. Let me know if I'm missing anything/packing some poo poo I don't need. Also, no clue how long we'll be activated/on fires for either.

-iPod + charger + headphones + bluetooth speaker because nothing improves morale like swinging pulaskis at the ground in a line and listening to taylor swift.
-flagging tape
-sunscreen
-goretex poncho
-pack of AA batteries
-1x Incident Response Pocket Guide because a dude in a smokey bear costume threw one at me in class and told me he'd eat me if I didn't carry it with me at all times like 5 years ago
-6 pairs of 100% wool socks
-those weird pantyhose ankle sock things for going inside the wool socks 'cause i have little tender baby feet
-those sweet sweet whites smokejumpers + extra pair of laces
-high speed firefightin' gloves
-glove strap
-sunglasses
-foxfury headlamp with a red LED in the back so I can look like I fit in around the real firefighters and/or prisoners
- lightweight camping hammock w/fly in a compression sack
-camelbak
-toothbrush/toothpaste/q-tips/face scrub/deoderant
-2 water bottles
-50ft 550 cord
-solar blanket
-2 handkerchiefs
-wet wipes
-TP
-ghetto rear end from-around-the-house IFAK because who knows if they'll issue them.

And a bunch of civvies because who knows how long we'll be gone/what we'll actually be doing. Just trying to make sure I've got all of the "gently caress I can't believe I didn't bring that" stuff checked off.

fake e:kinda bummed because I know I won't get a drip torch.
fake e #2: Holy poo poo have you guys seen this loving thing?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kpobfCgAk
Laundry has been a 24 hour turn around for me all season. I don't think 6 pairs is going to cut it for you. Leave the hammock at home and bring a tent. You're going to be pretty mad when you end up in a farmer's alfalfa field for 14 days covered in mosquito bites (bring mosquito repellent), I say that as a normal hammock dweller. Otherwise looks pretty good, flagging can always be replaced at supply, coms has more batteries than China and medical is handing out sunscreen, chapstick and goldbond powder like it's going out of style. I wouldn't bring a goretex poncho either I just carry a cheapo one in my line pack.

Bring sweatpants a beanie and a hoodie cause it's cold as poo poo out here at night.

We've got Aussies and Kiwis showing up at my fire tomorrow and NG the day after that. Have fun and be safe out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

windshipper posted:

You in Eastern WA?
Eastern Oregon on the last day of this turn. I'm sure I'll be headed up to the Okanogan after my 48. You on Wolverine?

Edit: Woke up to 40mph winds, a red flag warning and rain. They also just evacuated the town to the east. Today is going to be real interesting. :stare:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 29, 2015

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

invision posted:

I'm guessing we were at the same fire. Were you in Troy?
No, I was out in John Day on the Canyon Creek Complex. The day after I left it started raining and then they got a proper dusting of snow alongside thunder. More Colorado weather than Oregon.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Buy the Whites, and as many 100% wool socks as you can afford, I'm talking like $200-300 in socks. You'll want something that is fully rebuild able, and I would suggest going with leather laces not the nylon ones, I burned 3 pair this summer, but then I am a big dummy so you may fare better.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 30, 2015

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm going to begrudgingly put my 1 season old Nick's Hot Shot up for sale, does anyone here want a crack at them before they go up on eBay/CL. Black 10.5D (I think), 10" upper, rough leather outer, leather laces. One scrape in the leather (not even half thickness), fully re-buildable ($200 for a brand new lower & sole when the time comes.)

Box and cream included $375. I'll include the original purchase receipt if you'd like as well.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Bring 2x as many socks as you think you need.
Drink more water. No seriously, you're not drinking enough water.
Your boots aren't broken in.
Keep an MRE in your pack.
Ask for the vegetarian lunches. (I'm not joking)
If given the choice between chow, sleep and shower, opt for sleep.
What region are you working in?

I worked for an R6 Type II crew last summer let me know if you have any specific questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I submit #19 to the Watchout's as Incompetent Overhead.

Let's burn out this slope while there's crew working above.

Let's light this off while we're under red flag for high winds (25kt+) and 5% RH, 2 pm sound good? Grab your torches boys!

gently caress you CalFire :argh:

You can take #20 and #21 is bees. gently caress ground nesting bees.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 27, 2016

• Locked thread