Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Volunteer FF/EMT since '08

I don't put stickers on my car/helmet and I don't wear shirts with stupid firefighting phrases on them.

invision posted:

New department policy... no roof ventilation...ever.

Did that policy come out of nowhere or did someone get hurt? Vertical ventilation can make one hell of difference, so they must have had a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I have my department shirt, my old academy shirt, and an MDA Jerry's Kids shirt for our yearly fund raiser.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

Our station only has 6 SCBA's total

Well, at least SCBA inspection won't take too long.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Passed our yearly PFT.

I should be exempt from it next year for not blacking out after having to blow in that thing 7 times.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
It's about time to put the indian packs back on the brush truck. Who doesn't love hauling a 50lb super soaker into the middle of a field?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

Any ideas on what I should do with 10000 feet of LDH?

Straight roll it

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/03/japanese-deterg/

I'd start watching out for this.

I've heard of that, can't say I've seen it though.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
We've been having problems with meth labs lately. It's weird, we never had this kind of problem before, then all of a sudden the police find three meth labs in the span of a week. One of them was based out of some dudes van; there was a child's seat in it.

Dad of the year.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Everything seems to be on fire, even the inside of the walls.

One of the worst things to deal with ever.

http://imgur.com/a/tVVFM

The time between the first photo and the excavator arriving was about 3 hours. That thing was used as a last resort.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 30, 2012

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Oh god, what?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/160660

There's something about emergency vehicles running red lights/stop signs that brings up a deep seated hatred from within me. All it takes is one inconsiderate cowboy, running a light and splattering grandma and her sedan all over the pavement, to undo years of trust and good faith you've built up within your community. It's not worth it, stop before proceeding. I like to slow down even if the light is green.

When it comes to following another apparatus, I put some serious distance between me and them.

TRUST NO ONE

I'm paranoid as gently caress and tend to assume the driver only pulled over for the first truck and he doesn't see me.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Val Helmethead posted:

I get to debate whether I take First Responder or just go straight for EMT.

If you can find an EMT course that isn't an inconvenience to your work schedule, go with that. If at some point down the road you decide that you want to go the EMS route you'll have the certs along with experience on your résumé. MFR is fine if you want to stick to primarily firefighting.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

Triple posting:

You ever get girls phone numbers at a call? We had a "smoke smell" call earlier and I definitely could have but didn't. Seems unprofessional to me, but I mean, I'd like to get some thoughts on that you know?

I've thought about it, but that whole unprofessional thing comes to mind. If somebody were to just give me their number or ask for mine, I'd go for it.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Val Helmethead posted:

Ugh, I've got about a net 45 minutes of sleep tonight between the wire down calls and alarms tripping due to power surges.

Lets see how much sleep I get before the next call.

That storm has been keeping us busy too.

Any of you guys also run into problems with people trying to drive through your roadblocks? drat near every time we have somebody think that because their car can fit through the spaces in the cones that they are allowed through them. Had joggers run right past our truck once and keep on going despite us shouting at them to stop, there was a downed power line on the road and they ran right over it.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
This heat and humidity has been unbearable lately. We don't have summer attire, so everything we do is done in full bunker gear. Fortunately we haven't had any serious fires in a while, just the occasional brush fire.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
It'll be a cold day in hell before we draft out of a lake again. How in the hell did that thing get through your strainer?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

So after I finish my EMT-B (again) do I go straight to the year long EMT-P class, or do I chase a real degree while I'm applying to fire departments? GI bill so it's free school.

I would go for the EMT-P class, because it's a hell of a lot easier to get a paramedic job than it is to get a position on a career fire department. In my area a lot of the fire department openings end up getting filled by paramedics.

You would have no trouble pulling over epileptics.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Val Helmethead posted:

http://link.brightcove.com/services...d=1183539162001

Anyone got a McDonald's / other fast food in their response territory? Enjoy the possibility of responding to a liquid CO2 tank call - which might not actually present as a CO2 leak at first. This one came in as a pregnant lady falling down at work.

Bring your 4 gas meter.

This is a video that needs to be shown to all first responders. Incidents with CO and CO2 aren't rare, but this is good reinforcement. We had a lady call us because her carbon monoxide meter was going off. We step in the front door and our meter jumps to 100 PPM immediately, by the time we got to the laundry room it was at 2000 PPM. She apologized when we first got there and said she wasn't going to call, good thing she did.

Getting back to the video, it's nice to know that CO2 can cause a false positive on a natural gas detector.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Something about inviting 200 strangers to your fire hall because they share the same fetish as you just seems like a bad idea.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

Got brand new bunker gear today. Like, pulled it out of the plastic bags new.

Stiff as gently caress. Kinda wanna get sprayed down and roll around in the dirt with it.

I recently got a new coat. Clean gear is nice, but I feel like an officer when my stuff sparkles in the sun.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
My first fire was someone attempting to commit suicide by lighting their house on fire and waiting to burn to death. Turns out that would be painful as gently caress and they decided to get out.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
That is impressive.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

Man, if you can, always use a salvage cover. Destroying peoples poo poo because you're too lazy to walk to the truck to grab one is dumb.

Always have and always will. The whole "Insurance will cover it" attitude really pisses me off.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Other than the music, that's a great video.

Not counting mutual aid, my department had a whopping total of 1 structure fire last year.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Anything over two stories makes me nervous, I start to shake pretty bad. I don't mind heights all that much once I'm on the roof, but climbing up and down is not fun.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

RIT/RIC/RIG/FAST/WHATEVER team - mask always off, or mask on all the time? I'm in a huge argument about this poo poo right now.

You'll have more situational awareness with it off and it only takes like 10 seconds to put it on.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

GarethOmni posted:

If any oldbies got some advice as to things a new guy should have/get feel free to share your knowledge.

If your department doesn't supply them, a good pair of extrication gloves is something you should carry around. Your normal fire gloves are fine for using bigger tools, but when it comes to setting up airbags or doing anything that requires a degree of finesse, you're going to want something less bulky. If you have room in your bunker pants it's nice to have a couple bottles of water on you. Water is nice to have while waiting for a wrecker after a car accident or during a fire scene.

If you don't know how to cook, learn.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Bazino Bazino posted:

I'm a firefighter!

Kashew, put me on the list, in case the forums have an emergency.

His last post was in June, so don't hold your breath.

Fake edit: Unless you're skip breathing :eng101:

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Some career departments absolutely hate volunteers and there's nothing you can do to change that. Especially in departments that were once all career and had to lay off guys and hire volunteers to maintain adequate staffing while staying within the budget.

I was only required to do the "yes sir" and "no sir" thing while in the academy, and that was only if certain people were watching. Most of our instructors didn't give two shits about it.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
It sounds like the last outgoing Mayday traffic happens around the 15:10 mark. At 34:39 they confirm there's still firefighters unaccounted for in the basement, at about 35:05 the search is called off and everyone is pulled out. The worst part is someone mentioning hearing a PASS alarm at 35:12 and being told that they are not to go back into the building; that has to be a lovely feeling.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Ironsights posted:

:stare: This loving rescue (I recommend muting it though)

I'm pretty sure I would have poo poo my gear if I was that guy on the top of the ladder.

That is loving crazy.

The construction worker hanging off the ledge and swinging down to the other balcony was hard to watch.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

There are few problems that can't be fixed with a sledgehammer.

Like getting a K-12 blade out of a guardrail.

That sure was expensive.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

windshipper posted:

I still eagerly await this story.

I should have posted this sooner, it's really not all that interesting of a story.

We got dispatched to a single vehicle PIA on the highway at some early hour of the morning. The driver had fallen asleep while heading home with his passenger and somehow managed to spin his car around, tear up the guardrail, and ride it like a track with the actual railing going between himself and the passenger. If that railing would have gone a foot in either direction somebody would be missing a head. No serious injuries, just a cut forehead, both patients refused treatment.

After the patients are removed from the situation we start to work on how to get this car out of the rail. Conveniently, the section of rail the car was attached to had been torn from the posts so we decide to cut it with our brand new K-12. We have never had a circular saw before and had only used it once during a training session. So one of our guys starts to cut through the rail and it seems to be going pretty well, then about half way through the saw completely freezes. I don't know if he let off the gas or if stopped on his own, but now we are in trouble. We didn't have another saw to cut the blade out and we didn't want to risk another circular blade getting stuck. We detach the blade and start trying to get it out. There was a lot of pushing, pulling, and kicking, but it wouldn't budge. It reminded me of the sword in the stone except neither of us was King Arthur and there wasn't going to be a reward for pulling it out.

Someone eventually came up with the idea to hit it with a sledgehammer and use a rubber mat to cushion the blow. I figured the guy was just going to give it a series of gentle swings to slowly bump it out, instead he pulls back and nails it. This, to nobodies surprise, bends the unholy hell out of the saws teeth. At this point the blade is useless so there's no reason to take a gentle approach, it gets smashed out. We ended up lifting the rail through the roof by hand.

Overall a lesson was learned and and everyone walked away with a bit more experience.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I generally avoid criticizing firefighting videos on youtube, but the way this guy was walking across the roof had bad news written all over it. It looks like he hit the rafter while sounding, thought it was safe to walk, then fall through the gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxATL_NQko

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Yeah, that poo poo can be grating. People seem to think if they slow down enough that it will be okay for the 16-ton piece of equipment to swing into opposing traffic to pass them. If they don't stop, I don't pass.

I'm worried that somebody is going pull out of a side-street and get demolished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

IronDoge posted:

My adventure for today: sprinting down a major highway chasing after a small dog.

:patriot:

The only time I've chased down an animal was when a cat with no sense of self-preservation kept trying to run into a burning house.

It was not declawed.

• Locked thread