Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Just wanted to post here that (even though I've been a volunteer for about ten years), I just got my FFI/FFII Pro Board certificates last night. It's nice to be official, finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

BobTheCow posted:

Hey guys, I have zero knowledge or experience in firefighting, but my great uncle did. He died a few years ago, so I don't know what sparked this today, but I was doing some research on him knowing he had some vague connection to firefighting, and it turns out he may have been a bigger deal than I realized.

He wrote Branningan's Building Construction for the Fire Service, and thinking back to his funeral, there was a pretty impressive procession and flag display from firetrucks...

I don't really know what the point of this post was, sorry. I guess I was curious to see if anybody was familiar with that book or anything else Frank Brannigan has contributed to the field, and just to say that he was a pretty cool dude.
Very familiar. It's basically the bible and should be on every fire fighter's shelf or wish list.

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 21, 2012

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
(cross-posting in the EMS Thread)

I was sent the following video on my FD's listserve. It's pretty cool if you ask me. Seems like a pretty organized and calm operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E6WIZ36E2s

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

That thing is creepy as gently caress
The only thing creepy about it is how much it mirrors my firefighting skills and tactics.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I was driving the meat wagon, transporting to a hospital outside our normal area with a patient's relative up front. I was approaching a green light (without my lights and sirens) and I heard sirens coming. I stopped, let the unit go through the intersection (they had the red) and then.... waited.

The family member in front asked me, "Why are you go-", right as a second truck and a Chief's buggy blew the intersection.

To which I replied, "That's why...". I'm not a regular driver, but I always assume there are multiple units. Especially now that most departments get a transport unit and a suppression unit on every medical and fires/alarms usually get 2+ units.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Do you have any info about the pic to share?

I showed it to one of our DPO instructors and he wants the backstory.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I do know that guy!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Woodstock posted:

Cross-posting from the EMS thread:

So I'm a volunteer EMT/Firefighter at a busy station in Maryland that might be moving to the Boston area in the near future.

Is it possible at ALL to volunteer in the metro areas up there? I'm seeing the stations showing up as all-career in a HUGE area around the city, on the MA Fire District map (http://www.mcvfa.org/home.php), but I'm not sure how current it is.
My parents lived in Lynnfield for a long time in the 70's and 80's because that was the closest they could live to Boston (where they worked) where my dad could still be a volunteer. I just clicked that map and Lynnfield is showing as "Yellow Mostly Volunteer/Call". Per the stats (don't know if these are current or not, but they have 7 career FFs and 66 Volunteers, 1450 calls a year.

According to their roster, here: http://www.town.lynnfield.ma.us/Pages/LynnfieldMA_Fire/FD-Staff , those stats may be correct.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to ping my Dad for more Boston-Area fire info.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Pretty scary stuff: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Keys-With-Metro-Access-Stolen-from-Va-Fire-Engine-224957012.html

quote:

A set of keys allowing access to secure areas of the Metro system -- including tunnels -- was stolen from a fire engine on a medical call last week in Arlington, Va.

Sources told News4 the "Metro keys" were stolen from Engine 105, based out of Station 5 on South Hayes Street -- the closest station to the Pentagon.

Definitely smells like it pre-planned.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I wash my gear after every fire, since that's required by our department. However, I usually just hit my helmet with some water and call it a day. I like my kinda-melted leather front...

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Paramemetic posted:

My county's first call of the year was a box, reported smoke in the basement, odor of burning. Ended up being a malfunctioning vacuum. Still counts, right? :v:
still counts "lonely island"

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Hey y'all. I'm beginning to consider moving to Austin for work, and I'm wondering what the closest volunteer opportunities are in the area.

Does anyone know if there are any departments in Travis county with volunteers, or would I have to go further out?

Thanks!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
CHP, Fire Department Make Peace In Chula Vista After Testy Exchange, Arrest

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/02/05/chp-fire-department-make-peace-in-chula-vista-after-testy-exchange-arrest/

quote:

A CHP officer handcuffed and detained a Chula Vista firefighter on Tuesday and the incident sparked a heated online debate between police and fire personnel around the country about proper protocol.

The CHP officer reportedly asked the fireman to move his truck out of the way at a crash scene and when he refused to move the vehicle, he was handcuffed.

The CHP and fire personnel were aiding victims of a rollover crash on the side of the 805 Freeway.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Any NYC goons on duty today? I'm killing time in the city.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Those fire fighters are also the ones who are angry because they want to work only fire and not EMS.

You don't need a ladder truck, you need a time machine.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My plan to get Instructor I and Officer I done by July is coming together splendidly. I start Instructor I in a few weeks, wish me luck!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

windshipper posted:

How do you guys respond?
I smile, look them in the eye and say "You're welcome. Thank you for taking to the time to say that!"

Sometimes people ask me what they can do for their local fire department. I say to call them up and offer to bring dinner one night, or make dinner, or stop by with sweets. Food is always appreciated!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I always like to visit fire departments when I'm in new places. I'm in Phoenix today, and it looks like Maricopa County has Phoenix FD and Rural Metro. Is that it? No other small town departments or volunteer departments in the county?

Edit: Disregard. Just a little bit more googling and I would have found it: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Maricopa_County_(AZ)

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 25, 2016

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

HiroProtagonist posted:

I think MWAA (the National Airport administration) runs that weird European-like hi-lo electronic siren on their ambulance around here. It sticks out in a big way.
Most of the rigs I've ever driven have a euro-sounding hi-lo tone built into them. In Europe, it's typically two physical horns that produce the different tones, not an electronic siren.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Speaking of warning devices...

Do you apparatus in your part of the country drive around with their arrow sticks flashing all the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBZemDv7l6U

Where I grew up, this was only used to control and direct traffic, but in the mid atlantic region, I see most trucks have them just flashing all the time. I find it a little distracting, if not confusing and dangerous for other motorists.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Looking for some new station boots and pants. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

bear is driving! posted:

http://imgur.com/a/EdsLS

So someone thought it would be cool to tear up my IAFF sticker on my truck. I'm not a Union member, I'm just a part time Firefighter, but I display the IAFF sticker in a show of solidarity and support for all the Union guys and the amount of rear end they bust every day. The fact that someone thought it was ok to try to tear up the symbol has me heated. Notice they left the Star of Life alone.
Sorry someone vandalized your poo poo. That's not cool.

Interesting that you seem to think it was union hater. When you mentioned that you're not a union member, I assumed it was a union member getting pissed at a non-union member displaying the logo. I've seen union members get pissed at non union folks displaying the logo in the past, like they're poseurs or something.

Anyway, sorry, that's sucky.

• Locked thread