Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
I put wet stuff on hot stuff. I'm almost done with paramedic school dammit!!! Ok, not really I have like 5 months left...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
I got lasik eye surgery. Still can breathe from SCBA and the whole nine yards. That is if you're a candidate. I know some of the guys that also wear glasses and then switch to contacts en route to calls where they need to don SCBAs.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

smooth.operator posted:

Well goons, it looks like I'll be posting in this thread a whole lot more. Got 2 job offers this week for full-time departments and I accepted the one from the bigger city. I start my recruit class on the 21st.

Where? Are you a paramedic?

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

invision posted:

Show up to mutual aid for tiny redneck backwoods VFD

Chief: "Where's IC?"
Redneck FF: "Mayun, Aye Cee done died a few years back, ya'll aint know thayut?"

(IC was some dude from their town.)

Cool story bro.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
gently caress bitches and get paid. That's why I do it.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

invision posted:

My sir, what a nice collection of magnesium and oxycetalene bottles you have burning in your front yard.

e:and a trashcan literally full of aerosol cans.

How much firefighting experience do you have?

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Agrocrag posted:

Any CA firefighter goons here? I'm really interested in starting a career in firefighting and would love to talk to a goon about the process. I'm 28, work as an ER tech, and in excellent shape but I know how competitive it is right now and some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a CA FF/Paramedic. What do you want to know?

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

senor punk posted:

NYC finally made up it's mind and announced today that it will be using the standard CPAT for it's upcoming firefighter exam process. I find this amusing because I took the CPAT when I was in the middle of medic school, not exercising, and eating poorly, and I passed. My time was nothing to be proud of but I finished and that's all that matters. Compared to the requirements for their medical clearance or the academy the CPAT is a joke, but I'm assuming the immense pressure to be fair and show no bias/discrimination is what prompted them to pick that.

CPAT is a joke. Any idea how many they are picking up?

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Please, don't get lights for your car. Why would you need them? Do you respond to calls from your personal vehicle? There is absolutely no reason you need emergency lights.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

invision posted:

Okay you all need to watch this video. Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RhD_5T4F7aw

What in the gently caress?

Not surprised departments like that exist. Ticking clock on waiting for one of those guys to die due to lack of leadership/training/PPE.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Cage Kicker posted:

You have to be kidding. Please be kidding? Somebody gonna lose a house :ohdear:

Or someone is going to have a room flash on them?

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
When I was first starting out in the fire service I didn't want to be a paramedic either. I learned pretty quick that being a paramedic was the only way I was going to get hired as a full-time firefighter. Now that I have a full time job, I love being a paramedic. It's challenging, rewarding, and you can actually provide a lot of service to someone without waiting for some other guy you dont know to take over the call. In my opinion, if you want to do firefighting as a career, you should really take the time to decide if you want to become a paramedic because it is a large chunk of what you will do in the field.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

ReebTop posted:

So I was just told, today, that FDNY has a minimum acceptable uncorrected vision involved in their medical screening. Is this accurate, and if so...what's the damage for Lasik these days :(

2500 to 4000.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Some fire academies do have prerequisites before enrollment. Some in CA have EMT-B and Intro to Fire needed before you apply. Some academies also have dual EMT-B and Firefigher I curriculum.

My advice would be to do your EMT-B first, try and get some experience and really decide if you can do EMS as part of the firefighting career. A lot of people waste their time building all these firefighting certs and come out with terrible EMT-B/Paramedic knowledge and decide they can't do EMS as part of the job. In my opinion, you have to love to do both. EMS is a big part of firefighting whether you like it or not.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Honey Badger posted:

Does anyone here have an experience with wildnerness firefighting as opposed to "regular" work? Is it an entirely different process? Do you have to go through the state / national government as opposed to your local departments? I'm trying to get a feel for all the opportunities in the career field as I prepare to head back home, and it sounds pretty rewarding. (And I'm not going to lie, "smokejumping" looks like an awesome job even though I know nobody starts off doing that and actually getting to that point is probably drat-near impossible)

I worked 3 seasons for the Forest Service on an engine back in the day. It's hard manual labor but its a lot of fun. If the season is good, you'll be working most of the summer making decent money. It's a good job that provides some cool experience but I wouldn't consider it to be a career. Smokejumpers usually have seasons and seasons of experience before they are even considered candidates for the position and even then they don't make a ton of money and are doing probably more work than the average handcrew grunt.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Loco179 posted:

Dickhead helmets and mounted face shields to helmets make me laugh. Never been a MSA fan. I prefer the Scott packs.

Is anyone else wearing black gear? Seems a lot of places still have tan. We are wearing globe extreme at the moment. It is really nice light and fitting gear. Our "extra" choice boots are the globe leather pull ups as well. Very nice boots.

Wearing the G-extreme turnouts here. I'm wearing the globe leathers but I really like the leather Pro Warringtons for turnout boots. Those things are like wearing tennis shoes.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
I guess that will give you an excuse not to have a pussy pink hood.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Conqueror Bounma posted:

What I am worried about is how much information they will give us, will they say hey you are 61 on the list and will be in the 2nd academy starting in 6 months, or will they say nothing to me and have me be in limbo not knowing whats going on for an most of a year. I guess I am going to find out.

Welcome to the hiring process. The CPAT should be a cake walk. Work on your cardio. Pay extra money for the practice test before you do the real thing. CPAT is really only pass/fail. The only reason time is documented is for the pass/fail criteria. No one cares if you smoke it under 5 minutes or pass it 1 second before time runs out.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

senor punk posted:

Passed my medical exam. Officially no longer all that worried about the prehire process. Here's hoping nothing stops FDNY from hiring in January.

Good luck. Keep us updated on what happens and when you're official academy day starts.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Conqueror Bounma posted:

Failed my first try at the CPAT. Two more tries to go hopefully I will pass on the next one. I feel like I failed by basically doing something I told myself I wouldn't do and screwing up my rhythm on the step mill. I felt pretty good on it, I had a good rhythm going and I looked up to see how much time was left. I saw :15 seconds and I was like cool as I was starting to get pretty tired anyway. As I saw the time run out it just reset to :20 seconds and I noticed I was looking at the wrong timer and I actually had 30 seconds left before 3 minutes. After I realized that I looked back down and I just started to lose my balance and I had to grab the side literally 10 seconds before the test finished. I feel like if I just kept my eyes on my feet and just hitting the next step I would have been able to finish fine. It sucks too because I didn't even get a chance to practice any of the other stations. I obviously feel super disappointed but I think I will pass hopefully on my next attempt in 2 weeks.

Although you may think it is all downhill after the step mill, you need to worry about your cardio to carry you through the whole event. If you're that fatigued after the step mill you won't have enough capacity to finish the test. Start running and lifting weights in addition to working on your step mill technique.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Turbo Impotence posted:

Any one have any experience with the hiring process for the Dept. of Agriculture?

Actually any agency, federal, state, or otherwise.

Just finished an online application for this years wild land season through the USDA. Anything in particular they look for? I'm an MA EMT-B (NR one of these days), S-130/190 and L-180, with some of my ICS certs finished. I've also got a background in structural fire on a call department. Basically just wondering if that's enough, or is it more or less the norm for applicants to already have a decent background of certs/experience.

I really just wanna get out on a crew!

Worked 3 seasons with USFS on an engine. Sounds like you have all the right stuff you really need to be qualified for a seasonal fire position. It all depends on what forest you want to work for and what type of resource you want to be attached to (engine/handcrew/helitack.) I got my job by just talking to some of the battalion chiefs and captains of the ranger district. They usually just see recognizable names from the online application and pull those apps for interviews. Good luck!

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Turbo Impotence posted:

Thanks,I'll hopefully be applying for a couple different agencies? Anything you'd recommend that I do to prepare, other than hiking of course. Also, any recommendations for boot insoles? My Redwings don't have them and make my feet want to commit pedal seppuku.

Other than hiking just work on any type of endurance training. I can't really recommend a boot insole. If you get the job, I would highly suggest buying new boots. Redwings suck in my opinion. People swear by White's, Wescos, and Danners. I wore Danners for 3 seasons before having to finally retire them. It's all about preference and you really shouldn't work in boots if they're not comfortable for you. You will be on your feet for 90% of the job so you might as well invest wisely.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Seriously, ladders are an integral part of the job. It's about skill, technique, and more importantly, dedication to your job.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
I used to work for the forest service and am now a full-time firefighter/paramedic in the Bay Area. One thing that you'll want to do early is your EMT-B. Most jobs in CA pay very well because they also require paramedic. If you really don't find the appeal of being an EMT, I'd say this job is not for you. Most calls you run are going to be medical. Do yourself a favor and find out if you really do like the medical aspect of the job (through ride-a-longs, taking EMT-B, talking to different firefighters/paramedics, etc.)

As far as seasonal wildland firefighting, go do it for the experience. It'll keep you busy 4-5 months out of the year and you'll end up getting some good experience to put down on a resume. My opinion is that don't let it take away from your school time, as it has a tendency to keep people from going back to school due to the work schedule. Go do the fire academy at a local community college, get your certs, try and do volunteer firefighting. Once you get a little experience and you find out you like having your EMT-B to help people, then consider paramedic school. It'll be a year long commitment with most schools out here in Northern California. I did mine at American River College. Once you have all your schooling with all the certs then you'll be a prime candidate for hiring. There are a lot of places that have frozen hiring for the last couple of years and are down lots of firefighters.

It's a lot of work but ask anyone who is in the field now and they'll say its worth it a thousand times over.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is the first time in a long time that I have been really excited about going to school. I haven't fully made up my mind yet, but the idea is sounding better and better.

Sierra College in Rocklin has a great academy and also offers EMT-B. Butte College near Chico also offers a fire academy program that churns out a lot of firemen.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Wadjamaloo posted:

Do you know anything about American Rivers program?
ARC is a bit closer to me and I know that in general courses are easier to get into.

No, I only did my Paramedic through ARC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

UoI posted:

Sorry, I meant to put that in my other post. I live in Memphis, Tennessee, and I want to do it as a career.

http://www.amazon.com/Aspiring-Firefighters-Year-Plan/dp/0972993460/ref=la_B00A7ZTEEG_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382463663&sr=1-3

I can't recommend that book enough to people who really want to do it as a career. That and the, "Smoke your FF Interview" book are very useful for getting a job in a very competitive market that is flooded with lots of qualified applicants. Don't let it discourage you if you really want to do it, its a great career that is awesomely rewarding and challenging at the same time. Good luck!

• Locked thread