Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Firefighters have always had my respect and I have quite a few friends who are or used to be firefighters. In most decent sized cities in Texas, they're all paid and make a pretty decent wage. With the work rotation a lot have second jobs as well and pull in bank.

In the Navy we all get trained firefighting to some extent. It's a bit different than what you guys do, but handling a 200+ gpm hose is pretty much universal. Those things are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reign Of Pain posted:

What do you guys do when you go into a burning home that has live ammo in it? Is it possible to get shot from ammo that's burning up?

Shrapnel from the casings is the biggest issue with ammo cooking off. Unless it's in a barrel doesn't shoot rounds at you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Erwin posted:

Philly had an ambulance burn in a station today. The video is really embarrassing to watch, considering it's PFD. Can you spot the mistakes? http://phillyfirenews.com/firewire/view/8215

Slow water and no pack aside, you pull a booster line on that poo poo? :cmon:

Holy poo poo. :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Firebros the police have been lamenting they aren't as cool as firemen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Feel free to always come in and post cool pictures who gives a gently caress if you're a fireman or not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah those are all awesome too. They seem mundane and routine to you but that poo poo is great.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The favorite part of the job of every firefighter I've known is the complete and unquestioned ability to just break poo poo as necessary to get their job done.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

firehose through car window is still one of the best. Spring loaded center punches are awesome.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm not a firefighter myself. My second job ever was working as a mover for a firefighter that ran a moving business on his days off. He showed us how effective one of those center punches was on tempered glass. Does fuckall to laminated glass though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thermal cameras are loving cool as poo poo and we got to use them when doing firefighting training on the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Did you guys laugh as much as I did when you read about the private hanger in California flooding half an airport with AFFF? Good times.

• Locked thread