Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, hose ramps or just some 2x4s on either side is your best bet as it will help avoid the pressure spikes altogether.

We generally avoid traffic over fire hose for the same reasons. The hose itself might be okay, but there's also expensive pumps and firefighters relying on a steady flow of water. So no, fire hose isn't designed to handle that specifically, but it is designed to handle higher pressures. You could try wildland hose, but anything with intended for the fire service is going to be expensive. You'll also need pipe thread to NST adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Philly had an ambulance burn in a station today. The video is really embarrassing to watch, considering it's PFD. Can you spot the mistakes? http://phillyfirenews.com/firewire/view/8215

Slow water and no pack aside, you pull a booster line on that poo poo? :cmon:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

windshipper posted:

One other thing I don't get is the wearing of leather helmets. I'll admit I've never seen one in person, but how is that protective other than keeping water off your neck and all? I get the whole nostalgia, "This is how it used to be," thing, but there's a reason why they're not worn anymore. How is that going to protect your head from something falling on it, or from heat in any meaningful way? :shrug:

Yeah, it's pretty clear you've never seen one. They are hardened leather around a standard interior impact cap - it's not like you're wearing a catcher's mitt on your head. They offer just as much impact protection as a poly helmet. Cairns N5A New Yorkers are OSHA compliant, but not NFPA 1971-2007 compliant because they don't have a full face shield, and I think a small percentage (less than 1%) of them fail puncture testing recommended by NFPA. The face shield doesn't matter much, since you're either wearing your SCBA mask or safety glasses. Cairns N6A Sam Houstons are NFPA compliant if you wear the goofball goggles that come with them.

There's no reduction in safety when wearing a leather helmet vs a poly helmet, besides the break-away skull cap interior that comes out of a poly helmet if you fall and get your bill caught on a ladder. But, feel free to make fun of people who wear leathers anyway, because they're expensive as poo poo and heavier on their head.

Full disclosure: I wear one so feel free to make fun of me. Was it dumb in that it was expensive and it's heavy? Yup, but I have disposable income and whatever, tradition is fine as long as you're safe. Am I as safe as someone wearing a poly helmet? Yup, and if my helmet gets heat or impact damaged, I will replace it. I don't wear it during burn drills. I may have my head up a cow's rear end all the time, and when we're all standing around with our leathers on, we're the herd of whackers that spent money on a heavy helmet, but we're just as safe as with a poly helmet, and, sorry, but we don't look as goofy as someone in one of those Heros-XTs.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

windshipper posted:

This question isn't meant to be an rear end in a top hat question, I actually am curious and do want to know.

It's in my post. It's mostly about the face shield - poly helmets have the big face shield that can be put down to cover your whole face, which is in the NFPA recommendation. Leathers only have the flip-down bourkes which are pretty much useless. The good news is that this doesn't matter - you're either wearing your SCBA mask to protect your face, or you're wearing safety glasses for extrication or whatever. Both of these offer more protection that the flip-down face protector on the poly helmet.

Cairns N6A (a model of leather helmet) is NFPA compliant because it comes with goofy looking Steve Urkel goggles:

The thing to remember is that NFPA standards are recommendations and are not legal requirements. Most should be followed and not doing so could result in legal trouble should something go wrong. However, plenty of them are dumb, and the newer the recommendation, the more likely it is to be a result of people trying to justify the continuing existence of their government job.

Do your fire trucks have airhorns on top of the cab? Not NFPA compliant. Do they not have yellow and red chevrons covering at least 50% of the rear? Not NFPA compliant. Do they not have one red and one amber rotator light in the rear? Not NFPA compliant. Are all the warning lights on the bottom half of the apparatus the same brand, and same for the top half? If not, not compliant. Do you wear your helmet while riding to a fire? Not compliant. Does your chief have his turnout gear in the back of his SUV behind the back seat? Not compliant. Are your SCBA stored in your seat so you can get dressed on the way to a fire instead of in an outside compartment? That was going to be an NFPA recommendation but I'm not sure if that went into effect.

Point is, just because something isn't NFPA compliant doesn't mean you can't use it. If you are injured because you were using something that wasn't NFPA compliant, and you would not have been injured were you using an NFPA-compliant tool, then you may not get worker's comp/medical relief/etc. This shouldn't be an issue if you're wearing proper eye protection in conjunction with your leather helmet.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Our first call (yesterday) was a working dwelling fire :getin: It was a mutual aid assist, but we still got some work.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Had a working fire last night just after the snow stopped (I haven't seen the totals yet, but we're outside of Philly so we got at least 10 inches). I drove one of the engines, which is always fun in the snow. It was around 3 degrees, so we had to circulate the pumps, keep an eye on the handlines, and the street turned into an ice rink within minutes. Luckily we were only there for about 3 hours. For those of you who aren't in a place where it gets cold in the winter, you're missing out :black101:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

invision posted:

Someone tell me I'm not crazy.
That's volunteer, right? If so, you're not crazy. They sound like a company that gets so few calls that they have way too much time on their hands to come up with weird tactics. And I've never seen a volunteer department that requires shifts. Maybe it's different around here where plenty of members live close to the station, but if I was told I had to do three 12 hour shifts per week (or any regular shifts at all), I'd laugh on my way out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

Actually can anyone name something the fireaxe is better at than any other tool? Now that I've thought about it I'm curious.

Looking good on the side of a Mack CF.

• Locked thread