Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Small town fire department volunteer recruit checking in. I've passed all the EMT exams that we're required to take, and am waiting for the Department of Health to get around to sending me my license to practice. Other than that, I'm currently in our department's pre-academy phase of training (3.5-4 hours once a week to get accustomed to our equipment and standards and all). I start weekend fire academy on April 20th. It's every weekend from Friday at 6 pm to Sunday at 6 pm. Our department requires all members to have EMT and FF1 certifications, since we have about 25 full time members and about 40 volunteer members and a population of 25k in a relatively rural setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

invision posted:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/03/japanese-deterg/

I'd start watching out for this.

We had a couple of those in the area (Kitsap Peninsula in Washington State) within this past year. Incredibly dangerous for those around the area of the person who is committing suicide. Generally they'll leave warning notes, but DEFINITELY do not count on that occurring.

Be very cautious.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I don't suppose anyone here would happen to know where one might look up information on a fire department with regards to statistics? Statistics about # of fires a year, # of rescues a year, and # of EMS responses a year, that is.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Kashew posted:

Most places you can probably just call them and just say you're compiling some numbers to do a paper for class or something and they'll help you to those numbers.

Thank you!

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Loco179 posted:

Is this for everything? What about single family dwelling fires?

The previous department I worked at didn't have the 1 and done rule, but it was definitely 1/4 to get to your work, 1/4 to do your work, 1/4 to get out, and the last 1/4 was for your family.

edit: It was also a smaller department though, so... Man power on fires was always a big need. That said, you would be evaluated before being sent back in.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 21, 2013

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

The Gardenator posted:

Regarding the one and done thing, in my department, we have medical monitoring during rehab. We measure vitals including carbon monoxide levels. If you exceed them you get to rest longer and get retested.

Minus the CO levels, it was basically the same for my old department as far as medical monitoring. You went to rehab, you got fluids, etc. and had your vitals measured and all by the medics and were either deemed fit to return or not. I'm not sure what the, "Wow just wow," by Loco was for... You left the fire, got checked out by the medics, and either went back in or didn't. We just never had the man power to support a one and done philosophy. Small town ( >25k people) fire departments with a mostly volunteer fire department just can NOT do that in most cases.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

invision posted:

Yeah, a lot of departments don't have that luxury. I've been through 4 bottles on a fire before, it sucks, but you gotta do what needs doin' sometimes.

Minimum staffing for my former department was 7. For a full 48 hour shift. That's including volunteers. That's (at headquarters station) 1 captain, 1 medic, 1 FF/EMT who was the medic unit driver, 2 FF/EMTs on an aid car (or engine, depending on the call), and then at the southern station 2 FF/EMTs who would take the engine or the aid car depending on what was going on. That's absolute minimum staffing if/when no volunteers were available and the other medic wasn't for one reason or another. Also, this usually required a volunteer to be around in order to be on one of the aid cars/engine.

If one aid car was out, it was not uncommon for the other station to straight up take the next call that came out no matter what it was. If it was an aid/medic call? They'd go in the aid car (and be there with the medic[s] if need be). Even if it wasn't in their section of the city. That's what I mean by a small town fire department staffed with mostly volunteers. I'm not picking on you, invision (by any means, I mean, you get it), but I'm not sure that everyone understands what it means by saying, "We just didn't/don't have the man power."

Safety is obviously paramount in any operation. In EMS, it's ALWAYS BSI/Safety first, and then the rest. The same is true of the fire service when it comes to fighting fire: Safety first. In some cases though, it is necessary to do what you can safety-wise, and then just dive in to work once those minimum standards are met. There are some safety things that other departments do that simply aren't feasible when it comes to working towards the end goal that larger departments are able to do.

Are the minimum standards the best? No. Should a department/individual strive for better? Always. But when it's your brothers and sisters in there fighting fire, and there is no one else there to back them up... There's really very little else you can do (or, in my opinion, should do) beyond going and doing the damnedest you can to help them out if you're medically/physically able to.

I'm not trying to pick on anyone or preach too much so much as trying to give perspective on what it is like and can be like in a very small department.

edit 2: I just realized I had a grammar error that made a sentence mean the opposite of what it should be :stare:

windshipper fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 12, 2013

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I wash my gear after every fire, since that's required by our department. However, I usually just hit my helmet with some water and call it a day. I like my kinda-melted leather front...

Same, in all honesty. I do my best to clean it, but having the slightly melted/curled/fire worn shield on the front is pretty cool in my opinion.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

One other thing I don't get is the wearing of leather helmets. I'll admit I've never seen one in person, but how is that protective other than keeping water off your neck and all? I get the whole nostalgia, "This is how it used to be," thing, but there's a reason why they're not worn anymore. How is that going to protect your head from something falling on it, or from heat in any meaningful way? :shrug:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

It's not meant for that and as far as I can tell the dudes wearing them are doing it entirely because they feel like it's badass and not at all for dome protection.

Then why wear a helmet at all? I mean, I'm not quite a rookie anymore (barely more than a rookie, so, take anything I say with a grain of salt), but, it just seems like trying to be macho for the sake of being stupid at that point. The job is dangerous enough as is, why try to make it more so?

posted:

Then again, if we were looking for the most protective gear, and taking a step away from the tradition thing, we'd all be wearing the Euro style helmets. Which, incidentally, I really really like, but will probably never get to see at my company.

Those helmet styles are bitching and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

(and no, I will never see them around here, either. Former fire department used Traditional style, current uses Pacific style)

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Erwin posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear you've never seen one. They are hardened leather around a standard interior impact cap - it's not like you're wearing a catcher's mitt on your head. They offer just as much impact protection as a poly helmet. Cairns N5A New Yorkers are OSHA compliant, but not NFPA 1971-2007 compliant because they don't have a full face shield, and I think a small percentage (less than 1%) of them fail puncture testing recommended by NFPA. The face shield doesn't matter much, since you're either wearing your SCBA mask or safety glasses. Cairns N6A Sam Houstons are NFPA compliant if you wear the goofball goggles that come with them.

There's no reduction in safety when wearing a leather helmet vs a poly helmet, besides the break-away skull cap interior that comes out of a poly helmet if you fall and get your bill caught on a ladder. But, feel free to make fun of people who wear leathers anyway, because they're expensive as poo poo and heavier on their head.

Full disclosure: I wear one so feel free to make fun of me. Was it dumb in that it was expensive and it's heavy? Yup, but I have disposable income and whatever, tradition is fine as long as you're safe. Am I as safe as someone wearing a poly helmet? Yup, and if my helmet gets heat or impact damaged, I will replace it. I don't wear it during burn drills. I may have my head up a cow's rear end all the time, and when we're all standing around with our leathers on, we're the herd of whackers that spent money on a heavy helmet, but we're just as safe as with a poly helmet, and, sorry, but we don't look as goofy as someone in one of those Heros-XTs.

Ok, that's more than I expected (safety wise, I've only ever seen pictures. Again, never having seen one in person), but still, I dunno, it just seems kind of silly to me. If that's what you like and it's still just as safe, then go ahead and rock it. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it, sorry if it came off that way. Is there any specific reason given why it's OSHA compliant, but not NFPA compliant?

invision posted:

I had a leather for a while. It was awesome, but pretty heavy. Sold it to some kid for what I paid and went back to my traditional style poly lid.

I really really wish we could get the euro space helmets going over here though. Wore a bunch at FDIC and fell in love. I will say though, that they dont look near as cool.

I would kill to rock one of those euro space helmets or a Heros-XT. That poo poo looks awesome.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

windshipper posted:

Is there any specific reason given why it's OSHA compliant, but not NFPA compliant?

This question isn't meant to be an rear end in a top hat question, I actually am curious and do want to know.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Erwin posted:

Point is, just because something isn't NFPA compliant doesn't mean you can't use it. If you are injured because you were using something that wasn't NFPA compliant, and you would not have been injured were you using an NFPA-compliant tool, then you may not get worker's comp/medical relief/etc. This shouldn't be an issue if you're wearing proper eye protection in conjunction with your leather helmet.

Oh no, I understand that NFPA stuff is recommendations and not strict rules that are legal mandate and that they tend to be above the minimum standard as far as what they say. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it and have learned something more as a result.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

fjelltorsk posted:

also i was peed on before 0600 on a call.

The true mark of a hero. :toot:

Piss and shitstains on a uniform. :smith:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

senor punk posted:

The problem is that NFPA is a consensus standard. They are by no means legal, but they are agreed upon by enough people in the industry that if someone is hurt/killed and their injury/death can be attributed to something that was not up to a NFPA standard then the department can be held responsible for that. Also I know Bourke shields are likely useless, but I'd love to see some sort of study on how much worse they are then other types of helmet mounted eye protection.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. NFPA is a higher standard than OSHA, and for good reasons all around. It is an industry standard for a drat good reason. All I was saying was that I wanted to know why Leather helmets were OSHA compliant and not NFPA compliant as what is usually issued, and I got an answer and learned why.

Also, standard shields are complete poo poo.

Crazy Dutchman posted:

They are especially useless when glazed/smoked over, melted, and charred so some retard can appear 'salty.'
My helmet weighs enough as it is (especially when its got the TIC mounted to it!), so anything on it better be useful.

This, basically. I haven't had a TIC mounted to mine before, but they are terrible. In just one fire they can be damaged enough to be useless. When I went to the state academy, we had ours removed, just because they would do nothing but melt, be glazed, or be damaged in some way during the course of the academy. They also do not count as proper eye protection as they have far too large openings on them in order to properly protect below and from the sides.

Edit: The only proper eye pro is that which your fire department gives you separate from your helmet or you buy on your own. The exception to that is this helmet, which was issued with separate eye-pro as well. This at least complied with doing roof work or other work which required safety glasses in bunks:

My current issues the pacific helmet with the visor, which also 1.) Doesn't count as proper eye pro and 2.) is a loving visor, which doesn't protect from below at all and also allows projectiles from the side to enter if not wearing proper eye-pro underneath.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 1, 2014

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I figure some of you guys might dig this article: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/24/how-new-yorks-fire-department-uses-data-mining/?mod=djemTECH_h

NYFD is using data mining in order to try and predict/prevent fires. It's actually kind of cool, though some of it is obvious stuff that you'd expect. Old buildings, buildings with bad electrical, etc. are all more likely to burn sooner.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I... I have found nirvana. My previous department was full of hardasses in the rank and file. This new one doesn't care so much as long as you do the job and do it well. My mind was loving blown. I just had my first drill with them tonight and it just blew my mind the differences between how they treated drill and my old department treated it.

Don't get me wrong, you always need to have the hardasses around in one way or another. But, there's a mile-wide difference between that and how my old department ran everything. They scared off 50 volunteers in a period of 2 years before I got there. Guys who had been there for years. And that's just a 50 volunteer difference in the period 2-3 years before I got there and when I joined up. They had gotten new ones in the meantime.

I have had all the officers here that I've interacted with, except for one (and the chiefs) tell me to stop calling them sir whenever I have talked with them. It's seriously night and day in the overall organizational attitude. My old department and the way they treated volunteers nearly burned me out on the career. This though? Something completely different and I love it again.

To all of you out there in lovely departments in one way or another: There are better ones out there. You just need to find them.

Edit: All I can really say, is that my love of firefighting is back, baby. :unsmith:

windshipper fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 5, 2014

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Reminalt posted:

Some career departments absolutely hate volunteers and there's nothing you can do to change that. Especially in departments that were once all career and had to lay off guys and hire volunteers to maintain adequate staffing while staying within the budget.

I was only required to do the "yes sir" and "no sir" thing while in the academy, and that was only if certain people were watching. Most of our instructors didn't give two shits about it.

The worst part... This department was founded as a volunteer department. It was still mostly volunteer until those 2-3 years before I got there. About 3-4 years ago they got a new Chief. That Chief made the move to make it more of a career based department. When they were interviewing chiefs, one of the guys brought on didn't think a mostly volunteer department could work until he was on scene at a house fire and they had guys constantly showing up in huge numbers. To the point where they had to tone out that they no longer needed man power.

I have heard stories about that hiring process that brought him to that department. It was all kinds of hosed up. They turned down a guy who very obviously wanted to be at that department who had gone through all sorts of special training, had a ton of experience and knowledge, and who vastly respected how the department had been run. They turned him down because he just, "didn't have the right feel for (city/town name)." After they hired the new chief, they went from 75 volunteers down to about 20 in a period of about a year and a half. It then was whittled away down to 12 when I was brought on along with 5 other guys.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Those fire fighters are also the ones who are angry because they want to work only fire and not EMS.

You don't need a ladder truck, you need a time machine.

And yet 80% of the calls in that city are EMS calls. The average per day is low, as it's a small city (>30k), but it's still about 8-10 calls a day.

:laffo:

EMS rules, and I won't hear otherwise. Fire is fun as hell, but it's not the majority of the job anymore in most places- unless you have a separate company/association/department that runs EMS for you.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

senor punk posted:

Just finished a 2.5 month detail to the truck company in my house (a part of probation is crossing the floor to get hands on experience with the other company) and I'm seriously considering just transferring in the next few months. I'd love a first due nozzle job while I'm in the engine, but I'm not in the busiest area for fire duty and how long do I wait for that first due job? The truck on the other hand gets a lot more chances for hands on stuff and at fires where only the first due engine sees work multiple trucks get to do stuff because we often have to search/clear multiple floors on large high-rises.

Doooo iiiiiiiiit.

No seriously, do it.

Edit: More tools, better tools, more and better fun.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Problem: DAUGHTER FINGER STUCK Patient Number: 1 Chief Complaint: Traumatic Injuries (Specific) 7-year-old, Female, Conscious, Breathing. Dispatch CAD Code: 30A01 Response Text: INJ Determinant Level: NOT DANGEROUS body area KQ: The injury is to a NOT DANGEROUS area. KQ: She is completely alert (responding appropriately). FINGER STUCK IN EASY BAKE OVEN NOT ON DOOR IS OPEN AND THEY ARE UPSTAIRS ON THE SECOND FLOOR REQUESTING RESUCE ENGINE

Oh god I hope they used the spreaders.

Circ saw all the way

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Ironsights posted:

Nothing a sawzall won't fix.

I will always advocate for use of the circ saw. :colbert:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

There are few problems that can't be fixed with a sledgehammer.

:patriot:

So true.

Hommando posted:

Like getting a K-12 blade out of a guardrail.

That sure was expensive.

I think it's story time!

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

windshipper posted:

:patriot:

So true.

I think it's story time!

I still eagerly await this story.

Also just finished the training for my redcard. Can't wait for summer to come.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2WuJX4rfyM

German firefighters go hard with their training, but I am so confused why they do all these things on machines? Like, I'm never going to be using just my bench press glamour muscles on a fire scene.

But I suspect this is just the "let's see if he's worth teaching to do a thing" part, not a CPAT necessarily.

Still some of that agility stuff is pretty cool, the crossbeam walk stuff and the parkour and so on.

Would do all of that 10 out of 10 times instead of the cpat. Especially the parkour poo poo.

CPAT ain't hard, it just sucks and is kind of boring during the stair climb section. That parkour poo poo though would be fun to do, I think.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

As they should.

I dunno, watching on demand movies or chilling out and watching TV every night when you're waiting for a call/waiting to go to bed is pretty awesome.

Assuming you're not studying for upcoming certification exams like me. :(

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dear Firefighting Thread:

After busting rear end for the past three years and switching from one department to another during that time... I've gotten a gig as a part-timer. :unsmith: It's at the same department that I switched to 7-8 months ago. I've had opportunities here that I never imagined having as a volunteer at the previous department and I really like this place. :unsmith:

A year ago, I was seriously doubting if I wanted to continue in the fire service due to my experience at my previous department, but over the past half a year at this new department, it's seriously made me kick myself for ever harboring those doubts. Not all departments are created equal. It truly is all about who you work for and who you work with.

I feel kind of bad for jumping in front of others who were in line for this position (from this same department) but at the same time... Goddamn. I start training on Monday. Right now? I'm just basking in the glow of finally having my foot in the door and well on my way towards what I've worked for during so long. :unsmith:

I know I ain't got poo poo on what most people here have done or where they are but damnit... I'm working towards it and damnit I'm happy. This department has given me opportunities I merely hoped to have at the previous, and I really want to stay here for as long as I can.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Sweet jesus. Run for the hills. Live in a stone hut. You don't want a structure on fire that they'd have to put out.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

For the second time in 2 months, I have been unable to retake the firefighter 2 written exam.

I showed up, early, each time to take the exam.

Each time, I was informed by the TCO that he was not sent an exam for me to take. He even confirmed the second time that the request was put in by my department's training officer for me to take the exam along with the necessary paperwork.

The state just hadn't sent an exam for me to take.

:bang:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

invision posted:

Don't worry, poo poo is incredibly easy.

I know. I failed the first time mainly because I had a poo poo ton of family stuff going on which didn't help for me getting the studying time in. I just want to take it again and get it done and knocked out.

Apparently there's some poo poo going on at the state level right now, though, which is causing problems for TCOs. I don't know much more than that, but that's apparently been the issue so far.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Happy thanksgiving, firefighting thread. Getting paid to watch football is not a bad job to have.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Erwin posted:

That's volunteer, right? If so, you're not crazy. They sound like a company that gets so few calls that they have way too much time on their hands to come up with weird tactics. And I've never seen a volunteer department that requires shifts. Maybe it's different around here where plenty of members live close to the station, but if I was told I had to do three 12 hour shifts per week (or any regular shifts at all), I'd laugh on my way out the door.

I would agree with this. What the gently caress is that lying on your back thing about? I've never even heard of that. And with regards to the 2 1/2... I've always been taught that if it's a roaring fire and/or a wide space (like, warehouse kind of thing), then yeah that goes in. But for most things you'll encounter in a residential structure, 1 3/4 is enough (again, at 150 gpm, etc). But why the gently caress would you pull the 2 1/2 out if it's already in there? I hope they at least bring the 1 3/4 interior before they pull the 2 1/2 out... That's also just insane. Too many moving parts and poo poo you're trying to get done when you've already got a lot of poo poo to get done. You're loving up your man power.

Volunteer departments around here require X many responses in a month/quarter, and time on shift can count towards that, but as far as straight up requiring shifts...? That's no longer volunteer, in essence.

There is a department that I know of though that, when they next get audited, will get hosed and implode. Theoretically an all volunteer department, but the reality is something different as far as how they operate and pay their volunteers.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Best day ever:

- Get off shift at one department and find out that while, no, I won't be able to make it for the next EMS evaluator class due to being on shift at a different department, they'll find a way for me to get it.

-Go to do payroll at that other department, tones go out for a chimney fire, jump in and go to it on the brush truck with another dude. We're first in and, while the fire is out for the most part, start doing truck work and pulling out insulation around the chimney with a pick head axe and 3' halligan (no pike pole nor New York hook on the rig). Brush truck work best truck work. The engine was basically just chilling outside after having laid 300' of 5" LDH forward.

-Get to go back and add on another hour to my time card for the month.

:clint:

HiroProtagonist posted:

Apparently according to the county fire chief, people get to the point in the process of taking a job offer and deciding--in recruit school :stare:--that it's not the job for them. Yeezus.

For some people, the time commitment and/or the bodily commitment just isn't worth it to them. I think that's a fair choice to make at that point. I can't speak from experience when it comes to being full time/career firefighter, right now I'm only at a halfway point (part-time firefighter/emt at two departments). However, the way I see it, if your heart isn't in it for whatever reason, then that's a fair choice to make. Otherwise, your job is to throw yourself, your body, and potentially your future health or life in it for something that you don't really want to do that badly. If that ends up being the case for you, then is it really the best choice for you or your community? Making the choice at that point, in my mind, is probably a wise one.

As far as the CPAT, you say you're familiar with the set up, I don't know if that means if you've taken it or not, but if you haven't...

Just keep moving. Don't stop moving at any point and don't take any time to think on anything beyond the task you're doing right then and there. Not even when you're walking between tasks - just focus on what you need to do right then and there. It's not that hard, especially in the scope of things you'll potentially have to do in your career as far as I see it. I've done it while out of shape - it sucked - but I passed with well over a minute and a half to spare simply because I just never took the time to realize how much it sucked right then. Just keep moving.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 28, 2015

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

I guess that's true, but if someone got to the point of being in a paid department's academy recruit class before deciding that being a firefighter wasn't for them, not only did they screw at least one person out of their dream job, but they wasted a poo poo ton of time for a whole mess of folks with nothing to show for it. That's pretty aggravating all by itself. I agree with your basic point though.

I mean even leaving aside volunteering, pre-service education and everything else as far as options to try before you buy so to speak, how do you even get to that point in the recruitment process, as long as it takes, before you figure it out? Mind boggling.

A lot of people just tend to score high enough on exams, interviews, etc., where they pass through. That's not a knock on them, it's just that some people haven't entered the field first before they hit that point. Either that, or they only have EMS experience and were hoping for a firefighter job, or they only have experience in smaller departments without as strict a regimen for training or what have you... It all comes down to the passion you have for it, basically.

I haven't hit the process where I've been in an academy for a big department or a super strict department, so I can't speak to the experience, but I'd imagine it's a world of difference from my experience so far. That said, it's something I want badly enough where I'm busting my rear end for it. Once I hit that academy, I believe fully I will have the passion for it and I am sure I have the passion for it - having done the job as I have thusfar, knowing the experiences I've had and everything I've gone through it's what I want to do to my heart, but again... You only know when you know. I know, personally, that I want this, but I've been through enough that I believe I want it. Not everyone has hit that point.

posted:

Good advice. I haven't taken the exact CPAT before but through a combination of training evolutions and skills exercises that basically approximate all of the CPAT stations in one form or another, I feel like I have a good picture of how it would play out and I'd bet it'd be similar to your experience (one foot in front of the other, don't think how much it sucks until you're done, etc.). The instructors for my probie school were really good and made a point to include a lot of CPAT-like physical exercises, which I can credit for a lot of my confidence in my ability to pass it now and be thankful for that.

When you're on the stairmill - Count your steps. I don't remember the exact number that it consists of off the top of my head, but counting down until you're done gives you a rough time of when it will end. You won't have a stop watch yourself and I didn't have a clock or whatever in front of me, but it's that, "I only have to do this...." and then off to the next thing kind of thing that helps somewhat. More than anything, it's boring and then tiring towards the end of it and you kind of just wish it would stop. The stairmill goes a lot faster than it would otherwise feel if you have some way to measure it. If you're measuring it in steps, it goes pretty fast. Move your legs as fast as you can between exercises.

That said, the best advice I can give you, having taken it 3 times, is to just be in as good of shape as you can be. Do a stairmill with weights on, whatever. Just know that they're going to try to kill you right out of the gate and THEN make you do stuff and that's the entire point of it. Once you make it past the stairmill, it's all pretty easy as long as you keep moving. That part is what washes out most people. Lunges, running stairs, whatever. If you've been a vollie and done CPAT like stuff, you know what you need to do to be in the best shape for each part of it, just try and do it. It's not as hard as it might seem - for a lot of people it's a giant wall that they have to climb. In reality, it's just one step in a process.

Again, I say this as someone who hasn't been hired for career yet. I'm only a part timer. I'm still in the process. Take this all with the grain of salt that it should be taken with.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

No, actually that all fits completely with what I was thinking. I already know that the 3:20 on the stairmill is going to kill me more than anything else having done 10+ story equivalent stair climbs in full structural kit already, the main (big) difference being that the CPAT is a metered pace, but if I can get through that then the rest of it is a breeze by comparison.

Cardio, cardio cardio son.

It's one step a second - that's as fast as it will go. As long as you can do 1 step a second for a 3 and a half minutes with 75 lbs of weight on, you're in better shape than a lot of people who take the CPAT.

Edit: poo poo, you can even elbow the railings once if you must in order to keep balance.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Either way, climb 240 steps with weights on, trying to average 1 step a second. If you can do that, then you can handle the CPAT. That's basically the gist of it+cardio.

Now, the FireTEAM test on the other hand...

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

I've heard of this but I think it's a west coast thing maybe? I remember seeing it mentioned in a lot of CA and a couple of Midwest departments' hiring processes but nothing on the east coast hirings that I have seen.

https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/ntn-test-firefighter.cfm

Edit: NTN isn't east coast though, really. It's west coast primarily.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

EZipperelli posted:

I've taken the drat fireTEAM test twice now, and honestly, gently caress that test. My scores are usually in the area of: 90, 72, 98, 94.

gently caress the mechanical section. I haven't met anyone yet who's scored better than an 85 on the mechanical portion. Also, the first section kinda sucks because a lot of times, there are a lot of correct answers; but you need to choose the MOST correct answer... Ugh.

Mechanical portion is easy-ish. That first section is just such a pain in the rear end, and then making you go back and rate each person on how you found them, when you've only had brief moments of seeing most of them and trying to remember who is who or did what...

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

EZipperelli posted:

I was lucky enough to have a proctor that told everyone to pay close attention to all the characters actions and personalities, so going back and rating them wasn't TOO bad, but the videos themselves sucked.

I'm assuming you also had the brick factory for the mechanical?

I did. I didn't find it too hard. Not to say that I scored outstanding on it, but upper 80s.

Either way, that first section is a bitch with the multiple right answers one way or another and gently caress that test. Rumors are that NTN will be switching to a new test though in the near future (whenever that is), so I look forward to that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

If it makes you feel better, Monday was the most calls I've had this year so far. Every shift I've been on I have been a massive white cloud.

That number of calls I had Monday? 5. 5 calls in 24 hours.

I've gotten a lot of training in though!

• Locked thread