Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

It also features one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in a documentary: the cult leader Mother God, who claimed to be the most loving being on Earth, filming herself crudely berating her ex boyfriend, named Father Multiverse, for bringing her a meatball sub instead of the chicken parm that she wanted, explaining that her anger was just her channeling Robin Williams.

I lost it when they stared berating their youtube viewers about donations. "Mom wants a go-cart...Where's mom's loving go-cart!?!" 2 seconds later a shot of mom sitting in a go-cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
And starring Robin Williams as himself, apparently

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Watched Bama Rush which is ostensibly about sorority rush at University of Alabama. My partner wanted to and by the end she was very disappointed. It is no good at all, as a documentary or a story about rush. It is interesting to hear the various girls it follows talk about their feelings about sororities and why they want to rush, or not. But then the director injects herself in the movie with her personal story, which has nothing to do with rush but she acts like it does which is very strange. And there's weird tangents into political culture at the university and some other stuff. And by the time they get to actual rush there's 10 minutes left in the movie.

Don't watch, is boring and way too up the director's rear end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that one sounded interesting when it came out, but I couldn’t find anyone saying anything positive about it. A shame.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73XvxCy69gg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Watched Netlix' Johnny Manziel documentary, Untold: Johnny Football, and it's real good if you're into sports/football. Or even looking at the destructive nature of addiction and depression.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Netflix doc about Koresh/Waco is pretty good.

Cults are extremely fascinating and scary. Any similar docs about cults?

I also recently watched a thing on Amazon called “Jonestown: Paradise Lost” that was decent.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MrMojok posted:

The Netflix doc about Koresh/Waco is pretty good.

Cults are extremely fascinating and scary. Any similar docs about cults?

I also recently watched a thing on Amazon called “Jonestown: Paradise Lost” that was decent.

I assume you’ve seen Wild, Wild Country? If not that is the next thing you should watch. It’s on Netflix

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mahoning posted:

I assume you’ve seen Wild, Wild Country? If not that is the next thing you should watch. It’s on Netflix

I know a little about the story, but I haven’t seen it.

It’s in the queue now. Thanks!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
The HBO documentary Love has Won was fascinating

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

On a similar note, does anyone know if there is a good one about the Order of the Solar Temple? That's a weird one.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
There's a doc on Tubi called "A Life on the Farm" that a friend alerted me to. It's co-produced by the Found Footage guys, Nick and Joe. It centers around a full-length movie that a farmer in rural England made in the 90's. It's the work of an eccentric, but has left a bit of a legacy in how people interpret for themselves.

I haven't finished it yet, but it's an easy recommendation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That sounds like a treat, will watch as soon as I can.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I tried watch The Greatest Show Never Made on Prime. It's terrible. I watched most of an episode and still am not even sure what it was about. Just so much fluff. Avoid it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ohvee posted:

There's a doc on Tubi called "A Life on the Farm" that a friend alerted me to. It's co-produced by the Found Footage guys, Nick and Joe. It centers around a full-length movie that a farmer in rural England made in the 90's. It's the work of an eccentric, but has left a bit of a legacy in how people interpret for themselves.

Oh I saw this almost a year ago. It loving rocks and goes places. Do not sleep on this, it's so good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have any animal documentaries they've particularly enjoyed lately? I like ones that are more chill mood pieces with great nature footage than necessarily digging into the science or history, though a combo of all of that can be nice. Can't stand talking heads unless it's the occasional "Attenborough standing in a museum for 15 seconds," definitely prefer voiceover style.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/@AidinRobbins

I like his videos a lot. Great nature photography. Decent production values. Interesting subjects.

E: poo poo, for some reason I misread animals as nature

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ohvee posted:

Holy poo poo. Karen Kilgariff from My Favorite Murder is in this. Definitely a watch for me!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Oh I saw this almost a year ago. It loving rocks and goes places. Do not sleep on this, it's so good.

Watched this today and confirm. It rocks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tubi is amazing. I feel like it should remain as small as possible for as long as possible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's wild how much stuff is on there

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Ohvee posted:

I got about 30 minutes in and had to pause to take care of something. The subject is interesting enough, but everything that is not Joe's footage sucks. I don't care about the director, I don't listen to whatever podcasts all these other people are on, I just want to watch Joe be a weirdo.

I like it despite that and will go back to finish it, but I wanted to lodge a formal complaint here first.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I do get that, but I think they add some needed colour/context to the footage, especially as it gets even darker and more esoteric. The stuff with the family is good and later on, others in the community is interesting, but I do agree that some of the podcasters and other directors that have no direct connection to the dude feels like padding to me most of the time.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have any animal documentaries they've particularly enjoyed lately? I like ones that are more chill mood pieces with great nature footage than necessarily digging into the science or history, though a combo of all of that can be nice. Can't stand talking heads unless it's the occasional "Attenborough standing in a museum for 15 seconds," definitely prefer voiceover style.

PBS recently released a pair of 1 hour documentary episodes on little animals going on big journeys. Incredible footage of a beanie baby jumping between branches in moonlight, or the tiniest of baby turtles navigating across a busy highway.

They're narrated, and admit to cheating the footage for story's sake at the start of each episode.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Incredible footage of a beanie baby jumping between branches in moonlight

What the

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
drat I meant “bush baby” :D

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ynohtna posted:

PBS recently released a pair of 1 hour documentary episodes on little animals going on big journeys. Incredible footage of a beanie baby jumping between branches in moonlight, or the tiniest of baby turtles navigating across a busy highway.

They're narrated, and admit to cheating the footage for story's sake at the start of each episode.

Are these on YouTube?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are these on YouTube?

Don't seem to be there yet. Does https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/about-big-little-journeys-home/29570/ work for you?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I saw Jacinta recently and I'll give it a strong recommendation. The subject is a woman in her early 20s struggling with addiction, incarceration, and motherhood. The film was shot over several years, beginning in a prison in which Jacinta and her mother are both serving sentences. Intergenerational trauma is a major theme that is explored and, as you learn about Jacinta's childhood and relationship with her mother, it becomes clear that the same dynamics are at play between her own daughter and herself.

This is probably one of the best documentaries I've seen in a while. It's similar to the Life of Crime series in that it focuses on addiction and its consequences over a period of years, but does so with much more empathy and understanding of the people involved. Every person is treated with respect and most of their behavior is explored as part of the trauma dynamic rather than as evidence of each being weak, bad, or sick.

It definitely isn't a light watch. It rocked me when it was over, but I was also left with a sense that there is still hope. Jacinta is young enough to have a second act, if she chooses to, and her daughter hasn't yet been overcome by the challenges of having a parent in active addiction. In the end, it's all very human and it seems possible for the story to be one of redemption rather than continued trauma. I hope it is.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tubi is amazing. I feel like it should remain as small as possible for as long as possible.

you're not kidding. This can't possibly last. I saw Toxic Avenger on there and went on a brief dive through at least half of the horror trash I never got to see.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

MacheteZombie posted:

It's wild how much stuff is on there

I was scrolling and came across a category called comedy beef - katt Williams and I figured it would be all his movies, but nope, it's all the people he called out. Make me laugh a bit

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I need help finding a documentary called Narco Circus. I've searched far and wide, signed up for streaming services, VPNs, and even tried sailing the seas and I cant find it.

I'm not even interested in watching it at this point I just have horrific OCD and cant sleep until i find it

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Only thing I could find it on is Canal+ in French

https://www.canalplus.com/decouverte/narco-circus/h/22718321_50001

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

my sanity is restored. Thank you so much!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone got any recs for docs about the events surrounding the Euromaiden protests in Ukraine in 2013 and the resultant change in government? Thanking you kindly

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Winter on Fire is the only one I know of and it was really good. It’s a Netflix doc and I wanna say they put it on their YouTube channel for free after the Russian invasion. Not sure if it’s still available for free or not, but it’s def still on Netflix.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Winter on Fire is the only one I know of and it was really good. It’s a Netflix doc and I wanna say they put it on their YouTube channel for free after the Russian invasion. Not sure if it’s still available for free or not, but it’s def still on Netflix.

I just checked, it’s still free on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNxLzFfR5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm five years late to this party but I recently watched Tell Me Who I Am on Netflix, and absolutely recommend it. It's two middle-aged men talking to the camera with occasional reconstructions, but it is compelling.

If you read their book from about a decade ago you'll know half the story, which is that one twin, Alex, suffered near total amnesia at 18 years old as the result of a motorbike accident. The other twin, Marcus, spent months filling his brother in on everything about their happy childhood, their loving parents, their rich and idyllic life.

And then it turns out that Marcus had lied to cover up the horrific sexual abuse they'd endured until they were 14 years old. He had given Alex this wonderful life. After their parents died when the twins were in their early thirties, Alex accidentally found out the truth. He felt utterly betrayed, angry, his whole sense of identity came crashing down again. And Marcus was hurt and increasingly distressed at Alex repeatedly asking about this horrific thing that he had tried so hard to protect his brother from.

The interviews are beautifully shot, and very well balanced with both men are given the space to talk without editorial judgement. The director understands that neither man is the villain and that their story is best told entirely by them without a stupid narrator or over the top re-enactments.

It's harrowing but has kind of a feel-good ending? They're still incredibly close and love each other deeply, and Marcus especially comes across as having endless reserves of strength despite being incredibly traumatised.