Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna throw a request out here for a documentary. I was channel surfing a few months back and came across a really interesting documentary about the housing crisis. It started out talking about the effect of people being granted longer loans for housing back in the first half of the 20th century. It covered the housing crisis in Dallas in the 80's and talked about the need to use property as collateral for loans. It contrasted it with the economic collapse in Argentina and the experiment of providing micro-loans without property used for collateral.

To contribute:

Absolute Zero (Hulu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2jSv8PDDwA

If it's NOVA it's probably a good documentary, but this one really sticks out. It looks at the history of cold in relation to humans understanding what it is. It covers the invention of thermometers, refrigeration, and the use of cooling. The last half is really interesting with the scientific race to reach colder and colder temperatures and the discovery of liquid hydrogen/helium and quantum states of matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l3v3l4outbr3ak
Apr 15, 2006

Are you ready to die?
I try and make a point to watch a minimum of 2 docs a week, just for my own benefit. Recently, one floored me. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is the sort of thing that truly showcases the absolute best and worst of humanity. I don't know that any other piece of media has sent my emotions on such a roller coaster. Don't read much about it, just go and watch the drat thing. It ruined my day, but in the sort of way that reminds me I'm human.

Netlix WI Link

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I'll definitely have a lot to watch in the coming weeks, this is awesome.

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

possibly :nms: if you have a heart.
http://www.earthlings.com/

So is my video out of sync or is the narration just poorly timed?

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Does anyone know where to find the NOVA documentary about a handful of Average Joes getting together to run the (I think?) Boston Marathon?

I've looked on Youtube and googled, but never found more than a trailer. It was really a great piece and inspiring, lots of happy feel good sort of stuff. I'd love to see it again.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Hormones posted:

Does anyone know where to find the NOVA documentary about a handful of Average Joes getting together to run the (I think?) Boston Marathon?

I've looked on Youtube and googled, but never found more than a trailer. It was really a great piece and inspiring, lots of happy feel good sort of stuff. I'd love to see it again.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/program.html
That? You can watch it right on the PBS website.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I Believe in UFOs: Danny Dyer

is probably the best documentary to air in 2010

lovable cockney urchin danny dyer (of Danny dyer's deadliest men fame) goes to the midwest of america and interviews people on ufo's questions asked include "'ave aliens eva visited earf?" although its not all smooth as danny tells one "mug" he encounters "not to gently caress abahht"

Other cockney themed documentary shows to follow include Eric Bristow’s "gently caress a Duck, It’s The Abominable Snowman" and Chas ‘n’ Dave’s "Give it a Rest, Marie Celeste".

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Beer Wars is an awesome documentary if you've ever wondered anything about the beer industry. It mainly focuses on micro-breweries and how they try to compete with the corporate giant Anheuser-Busch. Dogfish Head gets some good coverage, and they're one of the best breweries out there. It has a ton of history, from how the big brewers began and their rise after Prohibition.

It's streaming on Netflix.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

So is my video out of sync or is the narration just poorly timed?

It's out of sync. Everytime you hear a scratch or a beep in the sound, it gets a little further behind. By the end of the movie it's about a full minute behind. It's still watchable with it though, Joaquin Phoenix is just talking about stuff you'll see in a minute.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I got through the chicken part but the out of sync poo poo gives me a headache.

Also for everyone not being able to make it through the trailer, Shake Hands with the Devil is much harder to watch than Earthlings.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
I watched Koyaanisqatsi last night. It was a very, very good movie.
The cinematographer for Koyaanisqatsi did his own movie called "Baraka" in 1992. He's also planning on doing a follow-up called "Samsara" that might be released this year.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=103139626370147

Just watch out for part 6 and on. Just sayin'.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I watched Koyaanisqatsi last night. It was a very, very good movie.
The cinematographer for Koyaanisqatsi did his own movie called "Baraka" in 1992. He's also planning on doing a follow-up called "Samsara" that might be released this year.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=103139626370147

Just watch out for part 6 and on. Just sayin'.

Not discouraging anybody from watching Baraka online, it's incredible. But, I must say, if you can get this version (Blu-Ray): http://www.amazon.com/Baraka-Blu-ray-Ron-Fricke/dp/B001CDLATE
Ebert remarked that it was, "the finest video disc I have ever viewed or ever imagined."
I was lucky enough to catch it in the theatres... An experience that cannot be forgotten.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
I'm definitely buying it this week. These movies went right to the core of my being.

Thanks for the link Jedah!

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Here is a joint Frontline / NOVA documentary on GM Crops. Really the best documentary on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NsI0ba9dNg

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Obamas war over at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/obamaswar/view/

In the second video at 16:46 and 17:59, Im roomed with the scout in the background with the radio antenna. He regales my boot rear end with stories of bad assery.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
The Union: The Business Behind Getting High

Netflix posted:

Filmmaker Adam Scorgie explores the illegal marijuana industry in British Columbia, revealing how the international business is most likely more profitable than it would be if it was lawful in this enlightening documentary. Marijuana growers, law enforcement officials, physicians, politicians, criminologists, economists and celebrities -- including comedian Tommy Chong -- shed light on this topical subject in a series of compelling interviews

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007&ei=BhqCS9utHYjCqQK847jZAg&q=the+union

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
Does anyone have a mirror for Food, Inc? The one posted keeps stopping to buffer and it's not doing a very good job streaming.

tickytack
May 30, 2009

Repent Repent Repent Repent

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

Holy loving poo poo, yeah, I thought I'd be alright, but seriously everyone needs to listen to the warnings on this one. The skinning alive did it for me.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

l3v3l4outbr3ak posted:

I try and make a point to watch a minimum of 2 docs a week, just for my own benefit. Recently, one floored me. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is the sort of thing that truly showcases the absolute best and worst of humanity. I don't know that any other piece of media has sent my emotions on such a roller coaster. Don't read much about it, just go and watch the drat thing. It ruined my day, but in the sort of way that reminds me I'm human.

Netlix WI Link

This one was mentioned in the last thread and it absolutely made me tear up. It's really good.

Captain Melanthe
May 1, 2008

by Ozma

l3v3l4outbr3ak posted:

Netlix WI Link

Thank you for this, I've been trying to remember the title for ages. I watched it once, and then made my husband watch it, and I want to show someone else now, this documentary just blows my mind no matter how many times I see it. It never fails to pitch me through all my emotions.

Also, everyone listen to him. Don't look this one up. Just watch it. It's definitely worth the time.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ughh my god, as an animal lover this was so hard to watch, but as I do eat some meat I felt I should. And honestly this should be required watching, for everyone.
It's honestly quite scary to watch because the people featured in this seem so.. damaged. It's frightening to see how easily people can become desensitised to suffering. It blows my mind to think there really are people that think animals don't feel pain.

This thread is great and I've watched a whole bunch of things linked, and to add some content I offer what's currently my favourite documentary series presented by the legendary David Attenborough:

Nature's Great Events
"Nature's Great Events is a wildlife documentary series made for BBC television, first shown in the UK on BBC One and BBC HD in February 2009. The series looks at how seasonal changes powered by the sun cause shifting weather patterns and ocean currents, which in turn create the conditions for some of the planet’s most spectacular wildlife events. Each episode focuses on the challenges and opportunities these changes present to a few key species."

There are six episodes;
- The Great Melt
- The Great Salmon Run
- The Great Migration
- The Great Tide
- The Great Flood (I can't find this one but I'm sure it's out there)
- The Great Feast

They are all absolutely stunning, but the great salmon run is my favourite in particular. Watch this in HD or BluRay and be absolutely amazed. Beautiful series and incredibly humbling.
Please consider buying it rather than streaming, if you can. The quality on those links is criminal in comparison to its official releases.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!
Connections

An alternative view of change by James Burke.

An excellent BBC series from 1978 which basically travels through the history of human invention.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

"Connections explores an "Alternative View of Change" (the subtitle of the series) that rejects the conventional linear and teleological view of historical progress. Burke contends that one cannot consider the development of any particular piece of the modern world in isolation. Rather, the entire gestalt of the modern world is the result of a web of interconnected events, each one consisting of a person or group acting for reasons of their own (e.g., profit, curiosity, religious) motivations with no concept of the final, modern result of what either their or their contemporaries' actions finally led to. The interplay of the results of these isolated events is what drives history and innovation, and is also the main focus of the series and its sequels."

I recommend this series for anyone who enjoys historical science. James Burke is an excellent presenter and explains things in a very clear and fun way. Add to that the excellent production quality (given that its 1978) and you have one of my favorite TV series of all time.

The first episode kind of sets up the whole series, so make sure that you watch at least until the second episode before you decide that it's the best thing ever.

Episode 1: Part 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSxL8GUn-g

There were two sequel series done in 1994 and 1997
Connections 2: Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhqspinggw8

The sequels aren't quite as good as the original (mostly because they're shorter and shot on video) but James Burke is back working his presentation magic.

Edit: Sp.

Skinny Bins fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 22, 2010

newo dot
Aug 7, 2006
Kim Jong-Il's Comedy Club

A journalist and two comedians visit North Korea on a mission to use humour to uncover the truth behind the secretive regime.

Found on BBC iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00qpk0g/b00qpjwq

Unfortunately, I can't find an alternative so I don't think this documentary will work outside of the UK.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Skinny Bins posted:

Connections
YES. This is at least as good as Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

I want all you goons to watch this. Feel free and make fun of Burke over his huge lapels, and overall nerdy delivery, but PAY ATTENTION. I guarantee you'll learn something.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Here's a great music documentary:

Gimme Shelter
Google Video

Here's the Criterion Collection's synopsis: "Called the greatest rock film ever made, this landmark documentary follows the Rolling Stones on their notorious 1969 U.S. tour. When three hundred thousand members of the Love Generation collided with a few dozen Hells Angels at San Francisco’s Altamont Speedway, Direct Cinema pioneers David and Albert Maysles and Charlotte Zwerin were there to immortalize on film the bloody slash that transformed a decade’s dreams into disillusionment."

It's a great watch for anyone who likes or is unfamiliar with the Stones, and for anyone interested in Altamont / the end of the 1960's.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
OP updated with page 3 links

and so I'm not just spamming, have a bit of this

The alchemists of Sound
The history of the BBC Radiophonics workshop. Ever wondered how they made the weird ambient music and strange sounds in old BBC TV and radio programmes? here's how. Awesome analogue sound design and trickery, unique sounds. link is for part 1, rest is linked in the related vids

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

l3v3l4outbr3ak posted:

Netlix WI Link

I have no more new documentary recommendations right this second but I have to quote this one because it is absolutely incredible.

I've never been so affected by a documentary. Please watch this.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

This Film is Not Yet Rated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqxuGlxbWc

Was a great documentary on censorship in film by the MPAA. Violence? Kill all you want. Language? Foul mouth away! Oral sex between two females? Whoa there, partner...

Been a long time since I saw it, but I remember it was good.

And as a request, anybody have stuff on quantum mechanics or quantum physics? Think Double slit experiment type stuff. My apologies if it's already been posted.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Horse Divorce posted:

This Film is Not Yet Rated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqxuGlxbWc

Was a great documentary on censorship in film by the MPAA. Violence? Kill all you want. Language? Foul mouth away! Oral sex between two females? Whoa there, partner...

Been a long time since I saw it, but I remember it was good.

And as a request, anybody have stuff on quantum mechanics or quantum physics? Think Double slit experiment type stuff. My apologies if it's already been posted.

This is a great film. I file this one under "I didn't learn a whole lot that I didn't already know, but it made me sooooo mad!"

Seconding Fog of War, too. It's a classic, and any self-respecting history nerd should give it a shot. Speaking of which, I'm surprised Hearts and Minds hasn't been mentioned yet.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Fatkraken posted:

OP updated with page 3 links

and so I'm not just spamming, have a bit of this

The alchemists of Sound
The history of the BBC Radiophonics workshop. Ever wondered how they made the weird ambient music and strange sounds in old BBC TV and radio programmes? here's how. Awesome analogue sound design and trickery, unique sounds. link is for part 1, rest is linked in the related vids

Thank you for posting this! It was most excellent.

As I was showing my boyfriend all the documentaries on Moog and such, he asked if there was one about the BBC Radiophonic workshop. I'm going to show him this as soon as he gets home. :neckbeard:

While searching for more documentaries about early electronic music, I found out about another one called OHM: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music. Amazon Link I can't find an online copy of this anywhere though. I may have to try my local alternative video store again.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 23, 2010

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
What was the name of that old black and white documentary where people showed off their dumb poo poo. I think it was called Gizmondo but it's not coming up on youtube

Thingamabobby
Feb 6, 2008

Tumble posted:

What was the name of that old black and white documentary where people showed off their dumb poo poo. I think it was called Gizmondo but it's not coming up on youtube

It's just called Gizmo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUcg_JoqwiQ

Valkyn
Jun 6, 2004

Have you seen this camwhore before?
The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Hitman

Awesome documentary about Richard Kuklinkski, a contract killer who killed a shitload of people. He talks about some of the murders he committed and if you are curious about that kind of thing it is very interesting.

Part 1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5116812489134120077&ei=UUaDS7qoKpqoqwKu5MH8CA&q=iceman&view=3&dur=3#docid=5740692213665972395

Part 2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5116812489134120077&ei=UUaDS7qoKpqoqwKu5MH8CA&q=iceman&view=3&dur=3

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Copied my post from the last thread. Watch this right now, it's that loving good. Please add to OP, everyone who likes docs should watch this.

spandexcajun posted:

Touching the void

http://www.pbs.org/previews/touchingthevoid/

"Joe Simpson and his climbing partner, Simon Yates, had just reached the top of a 21,000-foot peak in the Andes when disaster struck. Simpson plunged off the vertical face of an ice ledge, breaking his leg. In the hours that followed, darkness fell and a blizzard raged as Yates tried to lower his friend to safety. Finally, Yates was forced to cut the rope, moments before he would have been pulled to his own death.

The next three days were an impossibly grueling ordeal for both men. Yates, certain that Simpson was dead, returned to base camp consumed with grief and guilt over abandoning him. Miraculously, Simpson had survived the fall, but crippled, starving, and severely frostbitten was trapped in a deep crevasse. Summoning vast reserves of physical and spiritual strength, Simpson crawled over the cliffs and canyons of the Andes, reaching base camp hours before Yates had planned to leave."

This was originally a book made into a "Docu-drama" years after the event. It is an amazing story of perseverance, makes you feel like you could get though anything after watching it.

It's like the anti-"rich white guys pay Sherpas to carry them up Everest" mountain climbing story.

Please ignore the cheesy "Hollywood" style of this trailer, the whole film is quite well done and available on Youtube.

Littlepuppingtoto
Dec 24, 2009

RedNeptune posted:

This American Life (1995 - Present)

I just saw the host of this do standup in NY last night.. Ira Glass. Thanks for posting this.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009

Valkyn posted:

The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Hitman

Awesome documentary about Richard Kuklinkski, a contract killer who killed a shitload of people. He talks about some of the murders he committed and if you are curious about that kind of thing it is very interesting.

Holy poo poo, that guy is scary.

I actually felt sad for him when he was talking about his wife and kids :(

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

HatSmack posted:

I did too. Until he told the story about the guy who pissed him off at a bar so he burned him alive in his car.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just watched "Earthlings" which had been recommended a couple times in this thread. While I certainly agree with the main message about treating animals better, the entire video is mostly an appeal to emotion. You get clip after clip of slaughterhouses and the like, but it doesn't usually give you much of a frame of reference, or back up a lot of what it says with sources. A brief blurb in the video about each clip such as "This is facility XXX in location XXX which does XXX, recorded at date XXX. This facility produces xx% of the meat for brand XX" would at least help you identify what you are looking at. You don't get any real idea if the clips you are looking at are standard practice or exceptional instances.

While I have no doubt that animals are treated much more poorly than they should be by factory farming, simply because it is cheaper to do so, the movie doesn't really provide you with much support of that in the way of concrete, well supported fact.

Scientific research on animals is included in their criticisms, but they don't necessarily clarify what their argument is here. Are they against all scientific research on animals? Do they think it is generally okay, but some sorts of research go too far? I am generally unwilling to believe their broad statements about the lack of value of scientific research on animals when the film itself presents itself in such an unscientific manner.

On a different note, I've seen a few recommendations for vbs.tv mini documentaries. I've watched a good chunk of what is on that site by this point. Some of their work is pretty well done, but others are done fairly poorly. They will either be ill researched, such as The radioactive beasts of chernobyl, or have their reporters acting immature and generally unprofessional, like garbage island.

For a few vbs documentaries I would recommend watching

Obama's War - Has the crew going out on patrol with some American soldiers in Afghanistan. Generally doesn't try to BS you, or sell you a particular viewpoint, as it is mostly the soldiers who do the talking. Still, no doubt they slant it a bit with the editing.

Guide to North Korea - I think this one was already recommended here, but it is a pretty interesting documentary on their visit to NK.

Guide to Liberia - Talks about the history of liberia, and interviews some of the warlords.

Mecca diaries - A video of a guy going on a hajj to Mecca with his parents. Pretty interesting if you don't really know what a hajj involves.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 23, 2010

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

HatSmack posted:

Don't feel bad for him, he's a psychopath. He's not really capable of "guilt".

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

l3v3l4outbr3ak posted:

Netlix WI Link

Just finished watching this. I am a picky documentary person. But this one will live with me forever. Seconding the goon that said "Don't look it up - just watch it". Looking it up would make it sound far less than it is and spoil the whole thing.

I've watched Earthlings awhile back. The whole thing. It was *hard* to watch, but I did, and I'm glad for it. I don't want to turn my back on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Al Capone
Feb 1, 2006

All I've got is this zip gun.
Last Minutes With Oden

A short 6 minute doc about a man struggling with putting down his dog dying of cancer. EXTREMELY moving piece.

Link: http://vimeo.com/8191217