Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grass lemon
Jun 7, 2009

l3v3l4outbr3ak posted:

I try and make a point to watch a minimum of 2 docs a week, just for my own benefit. Recently, one floored me. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is the sort of thing that truly showcases the absolute best and worst of humanity. I don't know that any other piece of media has sent my emotions on such a roller coaster. Don't read much about it, just go and watch the drat thing. It ruined my day, but in the sort of way that reminds me I'm human.

Netlix WI Link
This was a terrific documentary. For those who would rather not watch it over netflix here's another link (no subscription needed):
http://www.novamov.com/video/49a83db769c99
Highly recommended and thanks to the goon who posted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
Pretty much all of these are :nws: due to mild to moderate language.

Scratch

A documentary focusing on DJing, with interviews with many artists. A wee bit of insanity here and there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGrchxm_BBU

Style Wars

A documentary chronicling graffiti art and culture in New York City circa 1982. Subways could/would still run pieces, artists that are widely known now were getting a proper start, and all sorts of coolness abounded.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2proc_style-wars-1-of-4_people

Kings & Toys

Another documentary concerning graffiti. Filmed much more recently.

Link

Angry Guacamole fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 2, 2010

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

big cheese posted:

Howard Goodall's 20th Century Greats - The Beatles

Made me appreciate their music on an entirely different level.

Same here. I thought How Music Works was a much better series. But this episode was amazing. I like the Beatles, but I'm not a massive fan or anything (Beatles vs Stones, I'll go with the Stones... or the Beach Boys). But after watching this I appreciate them in a whole different way.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
And for some content David Modell's Young, Nazi and Proud... a fairly low-key, but interesting character piece Mark Collett who was at the time leader of the youth wing of the BNP. Other than some prompting to try and understand his motivations Modell pretty much let's him dig his own grave and doesn't really have to do any more than scratch the surface to get to some really disgusting stuff with this guy and the BNP in general.

It's not too sensational but has a pretty funny "twist" at the end... dumb gently caress neo-nazi has been baring his anti-semetic soul to Modell for six months without realising that he's of Jewish descent.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So, I just watched Dear Zachary. I haven't been this affected by a documentary, well, probably ever. Thanks a bunch, you jerks. :smithicide:

Kidding about the jerks. It was a great piece and I'm glad I watched it, even if it's going to ruin my whole day.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

So, I just watched Dear Zachary. I haven't been this affected by a documentary, well, probably ever. Thanks a bunch, you jerks. :smithicide:

Kidding about the jerks. It was a great piece and I'm glad I watched it, even if it's going to ruin my whole day.

Watch the Jonestown one also if you want to push yourself into full despair.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Thanks to this thread, I watched King Corn, Carts of Darkness, and Threads - all of which were absolutely great. Also, the Vice Travel Guide to Liberia was surreal and definitely :nms:

On the recommendation of the last thread like this, I watched The Corporation and I cannot recommend it enough; in fact, beyond a recommendation, I would say it is an absolute MUST WATCH.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 2, 2010

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Hello Pity posted:

And for some content David Modell's Young, Nazi and Proud... a fairly low-key, but interesting character piece Mark Collett who was at the time leader of the youth wing of the BNP. Other than some prompting to try and understand his motivations Modell pretty much let's him dig his own grave and doesn't really have to do any more than scratch the surface to get to some really disgusting stuff with this guy and the BNP in general.

It's not too sensational but has a pretty funny "twist" at the end... dumb gently caress neo-nazi has been baring his anti-semetic soul to Modell for six months without realising that he's of Jewish descent.

Very rarely do such documentaries get a satisfactory ending, that was absolutely beautiful. Thank you.

Miss Areola Canasta
Oct 14, 2007

"You lookin' at me?"

Hello Pity posted:

And for some content David Modell's Young, Nazi and Proud... a fairly low-key, but interesting character piece on Mark Collett who was at the time leader of the youth wing of the BNP. [...] It's not too sensational but has a pretty funny "twist" at the end...
... and then what happened!? :ohdear: I want to hear a follow-up.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Miss Areola Canasta posted:

... and then what happened!? :ohdear: I want to hear a follow-up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Collett

Collett was sacked from his position in the party and expelled days after the broadcast, although party leaders continued to share speaking platforms with him. However he was allowed to rejoin a few days later with chairman Nick Griffin saying that he must change his views on the subject. Collett is now the party's head of publicity and produces the party's monthly magazine Identity.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Hello Pity posted:

Was getting ready to watch this and then accidentally read the first post about the doco. Spoiled :(

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Haven't seen enough love for Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man" here yet.

Some seriously spectacular footage in here and is a fascinating documentary, even if you think Timothy Treadwell was a complete loving nut.

Trailer can be viewed here.

Also, A State of Mind is a masterpiece. It's a very rare look inside of North Korea, and it focuses on the Mass Games- a huge, multi-day spectacle dedicated to (what else) exalting Kim Jong-Il and the DPRK.

Trailer can be viewed here.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
This seems like the appropriate thread to ask in-why do we americans always get gypped out of David Attenborough narration? :( First it was Sigourney Weaver, now it's loving Oprah. Is it some kind of...contractual conflict, or what?

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

spixxor posted:

This seems like the appropriate thread to ask in-why do we americans always get gypped out of David Attenborough narration? :( First it was Sigourney Weaver, now it's loving Oprah. Is it some kind of...contractual conflict, or what?

I liked the Sigourney Weaver narration of Planet Earth, I don't know why.

I think maybe if a British person narrated the show, Americans would be less inclined to watch it? I mean, if I watched a nature documentary, narrated by an American I would be far less motivated to watch it. Familiarity maybe?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Kara Thrace posted:

I think maybe if a British person narrated the show, Americans would be less inclined to watch it? I mean, if I watched a nature documentary, narrated by an American I would be far less motivated to watch it. Familiarity maybe?

It's not a case of americans being familiar with a british accent, it's a case of american management being full of blithering idiots.

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

Zigmidge posted:

It's not a case of americans being familiar with a british accent, it's a case of american management being full of blithering idiots.

Or this. Probably this.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Must be. It's a bit annoying that it's nothing more than stupid executives though. Really, how many americans watch documentaries anyway? Aren't most of them busy with American idol and poo poo? I actually prefer british accents in my documentaries. It's more...soothing? Interesting? Hell if I know.

At the very least they could've gotten Mike Rowe. He would be an acceptable substitute. loving Oprah!

"When the male lion sees the hyena he immediately becomes alert and EVERYBODY GETS A FREE WASHER DRYER SET!"

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

a case of american management being full of blithering idiots.

When you're not quite sure why a stupid decision has been made in America, you can default back to this and will more often than not be correct.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

spixxor posted:

Well... Weaver (who did an admirable job) only narrated the version that aired on television. The region 1 DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray release uses the original Attenborough narration, unless you specifically order it from Discovery. Most people who don't know this didn't buy it, even if they have it. I personally think that it's Attenborough's worst narration job to date, and his voice gets so quiet at times, that I have a hard time making out what he's saying.

As far as it being a boneheaded decision to have Weaver do the TV version, I don't know. It makes good sense to me, as all of the original content on the Discovery Channel is garbage, viewed mostly by xenophobic trash. Companies that make money generally have management that knows what's up.

-EDIT-
To clarify, if you're buying a copy in the US and you buy it from Discovery.com, it'll have a Discovery logo on the box and Weaver will be the narrator. If you buy it from any other major retailer, you're getting the edition with a BBC logo on the box and a narration by Attenborough.

ColdCock fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 3, 2010

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007
A couple of documentaries I doubt anyone on here has seen:

The Constitution Project: Yick Wo and the Equal Protection Clause
http://sunnylandsclassroom.org/Asset.aspx?id=1475

and

The Constitution Project: Korematsu and Civil Liberties
http://sunnylandsclassroom.org/Asset.aspx?id=1474

They're both meant as educational films for high schoolers, but they're fascinating examinations of a couple of supreme court cases.

Cogito Ergo Absum
Oct 31, 2008

spixxor posted:

Must be. It's a bit annoying that it's nothing more than stupid executives though. Really, how many americans watch documentaries anyway? Aren't most of them busy with American idol and poo poo? I actually prefer british accents in my documentaries. It's more...soothing? Interesting? Hell if I know.

At the very least they could've gotten Mike Rowe. He would be an acceptable substitute. loving Oprah!

"When the male lion sees the hyena he immediately becomes alert and EVERYBODY GETS A FREE WASHER DRYER SET!"

I really enjoyed Mike Rowe's narration of Wild Pacific, which was just about as good as Planet Earth. I'd love if he was narrating Life.

I think the reason the blithering Discovery executives go for American narrators is the familiarity. But I agree that creamy British voices sound better telling me about nature than hard-edged American grunting.

ColdCock posted:

It makes good sense to me, as all of the original content on the Discovery Channel is garbage, viewed mostly by xenophobic trash. Companies that make money generally have management that knows what's up.

Not everything on Discovery is Swamp Loggers and Deadliest Catch (just most of it).

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Kara Thrace posted:

It's David Attenborough though... he's a documentarian GOD! His voice has become synonymous with nature documentaries, and his next series, Life, is supposed to be his magnum opus. It's a disgrace that he isn't going to be heard in America, to the point where I would rather this NOT air here because of it.

I'm not ashamed or afraid of admitting that I will be pirating this rather than giving one red cent to Discovery. It seems melodramatic but it's a loving travesty his narration will not be heard.

Oh, and I believe Planet Earth was Discovery's highest watched nature program as well, being seen by over 100,000,000 people in America.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 4, 2010

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
It was lame that he didn't play the audio of the attack in Grizzly Man.

Dr Aldous Huxtable
Oct 6, 2008

by angerbot

Tumble posted:

It's David Attenborough though... he's a documentarian GOD! His voice has become synonymous with nature documentaries, and this is supposed to be his magnum opus. It's a disgrace that he isn't going to be heard in America, to the point where I would rather this NOT air here because of it.

I'm not ashamed or afraid of admitting that I will be pirating this rather than giving one red cent to Discovery. It seems melodramatic but it's a loving travesty his narration will not be heard.
:goonsay:

This is a completely ridiculous sentiment and you are a gigantic baby.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

:goonsay:

This is a completely ridiculous sentiment and you are a gigantic baby.

I can sympathize with him. Sigourney Weaver was good as the narrator for Planet Earth, though I enjoyed Attenborough more, but switching him out with loving Oprah for the Life series is pure bullshit. Her recent record of advocacy is almost the antithesis of the science that makes shows like Planet Earth and Life possible, with her support of New Age bullshit like The Secret and Suzanne Sommers with her dangerous hormone replacement therapies. They're replacing a true-to-life naturalist like Attenborough with a pure cash-grab in the form of Oprah.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I can sympathize with him. Sigourney Weaver was good as the narrator for Planet Earth, though I enjoyed Attenborough more, but switching him out with loving Oprah for the Life series is pure bullshit. Her recent record of advocacy is almost the antithesis of the science that makes shows like Planet Earth and Life possible, with her support of New Age bullshit like The Secret and Suzanne Sommers with her dangerous hormone replacement therapies. They're replacing a true-to-life naturalist like Attenborough with a pure cash-grab in the form of Oprah.

Plus, it's David Attenborough. The guy has been making nature programs for over fifty years, he DESERVES to be heard.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Tumble posted:

I guess you didn't read my post? In all likelihood, when it's available for purchase, we'll being hearing Attenborough. Actually, we'll likely have a choice. Stop crying.

Cogito Ergo Absum
Oct 31, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Precisely this. But I don't think the reasonable reaction is to proclaim your noble piracy that will stick it to Discovery, just buy the DVD with Attenborough narrating and be done with it.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fake Green Dress posted:

A couple of documentaries I doubt anyone on here has seen:

The Constitution Project: Yick Wo and the Equal Protection Clause
http://sunnylandsclassroom.org/Asset.aspx?id=1475

and

The Constitution Project: Korematsu and Civil Liberties
http://sunnylandsclassroom.org/Asset.aspx?id=1474

They're both meant as educational films for high schoolers, but they're fascinating examinations of a couple of supreme court cases.

Just finished the first one. What an amazing story of courage on someone being wronged and how our nation has made it right.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Didn't see this yet. (Ok searched 7 pages for Enron)

Get a barf bag first, you have been warned.

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room is a 2005 documentary film based on the best-selling 2003 book of the same name by Fortune reporters Bethany McLean and Peter Elkind, a study of one of the largest business scandals in American history.

The film examines the collapse of the Enron Corporation, which resulted in criminal trials for several of the company's top executives; it also shows the involvement of the Enron traders in the California electricity crisis.

Interviews are conducted with former executives, stock analysts, reporters and the former Governor of California Gray Davis & the film was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at the 78th Academy Awards.

Part 1
http://voice-of-the-diaspora.boostcast.com/index_related.php?id=99301

Part 2
http://voice-of-the-diaspora.boostcast.com/index_related.php?id=99291

newo dot
Aug 7, 2006

MR18inches posted:

you could possibly use a proxy to find a UK server to watch on

Speaking of proxies, is there one that can allow me to view Hulu from the UK?

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

newo dot posted:

Speaking of proxies, is there one that can allow me to view Hulu from the UK?

Hulu is weird. It uses the RTMP protocol, which basically circumvents proxies and just goes straight to the direct connection. I'm pretty sure you can use Hotspot Shield or the FoxyProxy Video Utility. I can't say I can recommend them though as I've had bad experiences with them, FoxyProxy Video Utility broke my internet and then was next to impossible to uninstall(I literally had to clear out every single entry that contained any reference to it in the registry to get rid of it) and I just don't like Hotspot Shield - But if you have to watch Hulu from outside the US, then that's the way to go. If anyone is aware of any other way to do it, they're more than welcome to correct me - Because I've been looking for quite a while.

Ghetto Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 7, 2010

Access to Hester
Mar 7, 2010

The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult to see
My thanks to Fatkraken and all the others who have made this such an interesting thread!

I'll add my own praise to the many accolades for Dear Zachary.
What a difficult yet wonderful film to see.

Regarding the earlier-posted The Creek Runs Red
For those who are curious, Picher no longer exists.
A massive tornado ripped through there in May of '08, killing a handful of people, injuring many more, and leveling the town.
No funds were made available for rebuilding, though residents were compensated for moving elsewhere.
Those folks just can't seem to catch a break.

American Psychonauts
Dec 27, 2005

...but inside doesn't matter

Herv posted:

Didn't see this yet. (Ok searched 7 pages for Enron)

Get a barf bag first, you have been warned.

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room is a 2005 documentary film based on the best-selling 2003 book of the same name by Fortune reporters Bethany McLean and Peter Elkind, a study of one of the largest business scandals in American history.

The film examines the collapse of the Enron Corporation, which resulted in criminal trials for several of the company's top executives; it also shows the involvement of the Enron traders in the California electricity crisis.

Interviews are conducted with former executives, stock analysts, reporters and the former Governor of California Gray Davis & the film was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at the 78th Academy Awards.

Part 1
http://voice-of-the-diaspora.boostcast.com/index_related.php?id=99301

Part 2
http://voice-of-the-diaspora.boostcast.com/index_related.php?id=99291

I didn't see it mentioned either. Seconded.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Dont think this one has been posted yet.
GAEA Girls is a about a female Japanese wrestling school and its tough training. The trainer in this is a bit of a psycho bitch and at times really hard to watch especially when she is dressing down a bloodied student for "taking the piss" and "being useless".

Its 11 parts and has a slow pace but is still a pretty good doco.

Part 1 is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_EL22-UIXg

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Kintaro Walks Japan
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3067683435545761102&ei=6KyTS5yeOp3cqALl8pG_Ag&q=kintaro

This guy basically walks from the south tip of Japan, to the northern tip. It is really interesting, even despite the guy being kinda weird.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Does anybody have a link to A State of Mind? I'm quite interested about North Korea. I read about it and watch documentaries when ever I can. It's like a big, unethical experiment on an entire nation at the hands of the country's elite. If you guys enjoy the subject you should check out Vice's Guide to North Korea

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-1-of-3

Oh yeah and if you guys want the most horribly depressing documentary about humanity while having some mild uplifting effect check out Every f***ing day. I had mentioned it in the first page or two, but its worth bringing up again. It's about a mother and her children recounting the brutal life they had under her long-time husband who systematically beat and bullied every one in the family. He beat his wife with literally every implement he could find in the house for over twenty years until she snapped one day and took a hatchet to his head. Now her family prepares for her sentencing day for the crime she committed to stop systematic abuse brought on by her husbands insanity. Great documentary, OMG you want to hate the loving state for how they sentence her especially after hearing all of what the family went through.... I highly suggest this documentary if you can stomach the scenarios she puts forth.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Sorry fellas, gonna have to take down the youtube links, we were accepted to two more film festivals. :) Yay! Thanks for watching.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 8, 2017

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Have any documentaries been made on any of Earth's pandemics?

What about just public domain footage/information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Satan: Prince of Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uH34mWKLZk (part 1; the rest are on "related videos")
Biography Channel's bio of Lucifer.

Occupation 101
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2451908450811690589

quote:

Synopsis

A thought-provoking and powerful documentary film on the current and historical root causes of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Unlike any other film ever produced on the conflict -- 'Occupation 101' presents a comprehensive analysis of the facts and hidden truths surrounding the never ending controversy and dispels many of its long-perceived myths and misconceptions.

The film also details life under Israeli military rule, the role of the United States in the conflict, and the major obstacles that stand in the way of a lasting and viable peace. The roots of the conflict are explained through first-hand on-the-ground experiences from leading Middle East scholars, peace activists, journalists, religious leaders and humanitarian workers whose voices have too often been suppressed in American media outlets.

The film covers a wide range of topics -- which include -- the first wave of Jewish immigration from Europe in the 1880's, the 1920 tensions, the 1948 war, the 1967 war, the first Intifada of 1987, the Oslo Peace Process, Settlement expansion, the role of the United States Government, the second Intifada of 2000, the separation barrier and the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, as well as many heart wrenching testimonials from victims of this tragedy.

Featured Interviews

Occupation 101 features a leading list of some of the most credible Middle East scholars, historians, peace activists, journalists, and humanitarian workers.