Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
A Blank on the Map

A very young David Attenborough looking for an uncontacted tribe in Papua New Guinea, meeting them and managing some basic communication. My favourite documentary ever.

link to full documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Haha Oprah is going to ruin the poo poo out of that.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

DashingGentleman posted:

I refuse to believe this is true. There is no man on earth better suited to narrate a nature documentary than Sir David Attenborough. This is utter madness. The reverse (US->UK) equivalent would be taking Cosmos and replacing Carl Sagan with Jeremy Clarkson. This actually makes me seethe with anger.

The worst thing is that Sir Attenborough is not only the narrator of Life, but the writer also. It's not just his voice, it's his program and pretty much the masterpiece he chose to end his career on.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Miss Areola Canasta posted:

Awesome documentary. It doesn't just provide a good story, but it raises interesting moral questions. Is the expedition fueled by belevolence or ethnocentrism? Part of me feels cultures like this should be left alone. It's great the explorers were able to provide simple medical care, but I'm sure that language is endangered now, their culture eroded by hegemony.

As far as I understand they were pretty much left alone by the guys mounting the expedition and the authorities. However christian missionaries have since discovered the Biami people :smith: