Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

If you ever feel the need to see something relatively short, very british, nerdy, and definitely 80's, I can't recommend more The Secret Life Of Machines. It's about how your normal, everyday appliances work, from the washing machine to the fax machine to the CRT television and magnetic tape. All very cool stuff -- and this is how I recommend you start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V69ZXPJxyZs

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

spixxor posted:

Jesus I'm like 5 minutes into this and already I don't think I've ever wanted to hurt someone so badly in my life. That smug loving smile. Uhg.

I hope you're not talking about Louis Theroux, cause he's loving awesome.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

lovely posting, and it's already in the thread, no way!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

RollingBoBo posted:

anyone have any documentaries about graffiti or street art?

You could try "Exit Through The Gift Shop" but I haven't seen it so I can't really say it's exactly what you're looking for.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

klem_johansen posted:

Just watched "Rembrandt's J'Accuse" which tells the story of how the painting itself is a writ of condemnation against the men who commissioned it, accusing them of sexual abuse, usury, and one count of "make it look like an accident" murder.

and "Art of the Steal" which made me want to punch Ed Rendel in the stomach ( though he's more of a patsy than a proper villain).

Wow, that first one sounds cool as heck. And I've seen Art of the Steal, and can recommend it as well. Both are on Netflix Instant, by the way.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

162 megabytes for 42 minutes of video is probably more of a crime than anything.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Elijya posted:

Many of the dead on Everest died climbing the glacier, falling between the cracks. Their bodies get ground up by the glacial shifts, repeatedly smashed and pulverized, and then eventually spat out. So, unfortunately, not entombed pristinely forever on the mountain side.

Just, you know, fyi. Since you seemed interested in dead bodies on Everest.

Anyway, not having checked this thread since page 4, any really awesome new space stuff? I've seen Cosmos and most of the older ones. The OP could use an update.

I think the current goon favorites are Discovery's How The Universe Works, narrated by Mike Rowe and Into The Universe, narrated by Stephen Hawking and Benedict Cumberbatch (of Sherlock fame).

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Overnight, the story of the production of The Boondock Saints is pretty darn good.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Just finished watching Simon Schama's Power of Art and Modern Masters, which are both excellent and accessible documentaries. Are there any other notable art docs that I should watch?

Rembrandt's J'Accuse was at one point on Netflix. I loving loved it.

IMDB posted:

J'accuse is an 'essay-istic' documentary in which Greenaway's fierce criticism of today's visual illiteracy is argued by means of a forensic search of Rembrandt's Nightwatch. Greenaway explains the background, the context, the conspiracy, the murder and the motives of all its 34 painted characters who have conspired to kill for their combined self-advantage. Greenaway leads us through Rembrandt's paintings into 17th century Amsterdam. He paints a world that is democratic in principle, but is almost entirely ruled by twelve families. The notion exists of these regents as charitable and compassionate beings. However, reality was different

The Cave of Forgotten Dreams is on Netflix and it's about one of the oldest forms of art, cave paintings. It also happens to be directed by Werner Herzog.

IMDB posted:

Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I couldn't possibly live without my Apple Products!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's on Netflix I believe. Either way it's called The Vice Guide To North Korea and they have a whole bunch of locations in that series. The Liberia one is particularly nuts.