Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

DashingGentleman posted:

I refuse to believe this is true. There is no man on earth better suited to narrate a nature documentary than Sir David Attenborough.

It's more than likely true. The US version of Planet Earth was re-dubbed with Sigourney Weaver narrating. If you're lucky enough to have access to the Canadian Discovery Channel keep an eye out, because we get all of BBC's nature doc's in all their Attenborough glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

DevNull posted:

The version of Planet Earth I have is with Attenborough. So it is not impossible to get it here in the US. Hopefully I will manage to do the same with Life.

I'm pretty sure that if you buy the DVDs they're Attenborough... but I'm not entirely sure on that. I've never seen the re-dubbed DVDs anywhere in stores, but then I'm not in the US.

If you're a fan of Attenborough's stuff I highly recommend The Life of Mammals (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364174/) and The Life of Birds (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0175394/).

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I'll definitely have a lot to watch in the coming weeks, this is awesome.

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

possibly :nms: if you have a heart.
http://www.earthlings.com/

I tried watching this once, but didn't make it past the bit about animal shelters. The fact that I can't make it through it makes me feel guilty for some reason, like by not being able to stomach it I'm turning a blind-eye? I dunno.

I volunteer with a trap-neuter-release program in my city so I guess that makes me feel a little better, but not much.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

Bliggers- posted:

Here are a few from the TVO website, I am pretty sure you can find them elsewhere around the web if you aren't able to watch them here (Canadian website)

This stinks. I'm in Canada and it tells me that I can't watch them because I'm out of the viewing area? Pfft. I really wanted to watch the tiger one too. Did the rest of Canada vote NB out by any chance?

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

ilurker posted:

It seems to work from Alberta, so yes, you have been forsaken.

Go hang out with the frenchies.

Came home from work and they load just fine. Apparently the website doesn't like the free wireless from the coffee shop next-door.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

The Light Eternal posted:

I saw Waking Sleeping Beauty today on your advice, it was very good. Lots of highs and lows but there were a lot of great clips and interviews with Michael Eisner, Roy Disney, Frank Wells, etc. I highly recommend it.

Where were you able to see it? Unfortunately it isn't playing anywhere near me. I don't think there's any other way to see it outside of :filez: is there?

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

Very obscure documentary question!

I remember seeing a documentary on TLC or Discovery back in the mid 90's (I wanna say '95 or '96) about alien abduction. It was the first time I'd ever seen or heard anything about it and I remember it scaring the hell out of little ten-year-old me. Now, there are about a million alien docs out there now but this one was "hosted" by a woman with dark hair. I think it might have been Edith Fiore. It was mostly interviews with alleged abductees and it talked a ton about hypnosis. I remember it had frequent shots of a light bulb swaying in front of the camera.

I don't believe in any of that stuff anymore, but I remember it scaring the poo poo out of little kid SamLikesCake and I guess I want a nostalgia trip. I've looked all over the place for it with no luck. The problem is that there are a million and one UFO docs out there with similar names. Anyone remember this show, and have any idea what it was called?

Shot in the dark, I know.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

The Scientist posted:

I used to love this show as a kid; it would freak me the gently caress out.
Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World

Holy poo poo, I had forgotten about this! I used to watch it on Discovery Channel as a kid. The crystal skull in the opening used to scare me. :3:

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

The Scientist posted:

Every word of this is also true of me. I also remember going to school and telling people about this show and no-one ever having any idea what I was talking about (I was ahead of my time [third grade])

Oh well. I have you guys right? right? guys?

There was another show with Clarke too, it was newer though. Hopefully I can find that one. It had an episode about British Big Cats.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

El Goatherd posted:

Here's a probably :nws: documentary from 2000 called 'Cartoons Kick rear end : A History of Subversive Animation'. It goes from anonymous and incredibly crude gag reels from the 1930's, overt political propaganda and covert dissent in Nazi-era Germany and the Soviet bloc, 70's counterculture stuff like Fritz the Cat and Coonskin, right through to what was then modern day stuff, ie Ren and Stimpy and rude things that somehow got past the censors.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYXPIbB_8AQ
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sppeq9QhHM
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awq9oK97RzQ
Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH23JysXSmU

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is awesome. I love the contrast of the normal dorky animators against the scary right-wing guy who seems to think that all animators are gay paedophiles. No, seriously. That is what he thinks.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Some of these animation artists and fans are quirky. And some kind of activate little warning bells. Not gay pedos, but more like, "No, I'll take the next elevator," warning bells.

I can definitely agree with that. There is no way in hell I would ever agree to be alone in a room with John K.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

Qotile Swirl posted:

Castrato, 2006 BBC documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ZAraf5wMc&list=PL093EBA61CDBC96C2&feature=plpp_play_all

I adore Baroque opera, it's got to be my favorite form of music. In almost all Italian-style Baroque operas, the part of the hero is written for a castrato -- a man who had his testicles surgically removed before puberty to prevent his voice from changing. The last surgical castrato died in 1922, so today those parts are usually sung by countertenors or sopranists, occasionally women in drag, less occasionally by natural castrati (there just aren't that many anymore since the advent of hormone replacement therapy). When you listen to Baroque opera all the time, it seems perfectly normal and unremarkable that the good guys have high voices and the bad guys low. You don't question it. It isn't until you step back that you realize how bizarre the whole concept of the castrato is and how abhorrent was the practice.

The documentary is about castrati and the castrato voice -- what it was and what it wasn't -- and it attempts to recreate it by morphing a boy's voice with a changed man's voice. Sort of like in the movie Farinelli, but a bit less crap. Only a bit, though.

I started to write about my quibbles with the documentary and clarified some stuff it sort of glossed over, but it turned into a wall of text that I figured no one would read. Suffice to say, it oversimplifies some historical points and I question their choice of performers. Still, it could have been a lot worse, and it's a decent intro if you're unfamiliar with Baroque opera or if you've never given castrati much thought.

Just wanted to say that this was really cool. That male soprano made the girly alto in me feel manly and tough.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

I have to recommend The Elephant in the Living Room, which is about the growing trend of exotic/dangerous pet ownership in America. At one point they go undercover at an exotic reptile fair, and find Gaboon Vipers, Nile Crocodiles and other super dangerous animals for sale to the general public.

It does get a little hard to watch, but it's worth it. It's on Netflix instant, so give it a try!

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

Waroduce posted:

The Cold War

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea it existed and I've been on a morbid Cold War kick lately. I've already watched the first few episodes.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

djwetmouse posted:

Just say a Documentary on The Amityville Horror, basically debunking the story.

What's it called? I really wanna check that out!

Real Close Encounters sounds like your usual History Channel woo-woo aliens show, but it actually does have a more skeptical slant. As the title suggests, it's about the alien abduction phenomenon. I saw this on Discovery or TLC or something back in the mid-90's and it scared the gently caress out of me. Stupid Grays. :ohdear:

The whole thing is on YouTube if that's what you're after.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

I'm 99% sure that Machete Maidens Unleashed was on Netflix a while back, at least in Canada! The cover looks really familiar. I never got around to watching it and I wish I had.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

I just finished Thought Crimes - The Case of the Cannibal Cop

I had only heard a little about this case on Savage Lovecast when it was all happening so I really didn't know much going in aside from the broad strokes: police officer accused of conspiring to eat people with other weirdos online. The doc actually rolls the whole story out in a way that kinda had me doing double-takes at the guy. Some of the chat logs are pretty hard to read and there's some nasty images, which is expected for something about a cannibal cop I guess.

Not sure if it's :filez: to say this, but it's on YouTube.

SamLikesCake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 7, 2016

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder what the reaction of the Catholic Church was to The Keepers.

I'm willing to bet it's something along the lines of "no comment" while collectively making GBS threads their vestments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

I would say that Saff’s arm was probably looking pretty juicy to the tiger.