Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LittleFuryThings posted:

Whate are the best documentaries that feature musicians writing their songs/working in the studio?

The Promise: the Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town is a good one with Bruce Springsteen. Not so much the writing process but jam sessions and early studio versions of songs that ended up much differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

abducted in plain sight is loving bonkers. i can't believe these people exist.

I just finished it.

:vince:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it says something that "little girl believes she has to have a child with a grown man to save the world because aliens told her so" is the least crazy part.

I almost threw my phone at the TV when the dad admitted that he jerked the other dude off.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Abducted in Plain Sight kept escalating until I was sure it was going to end with the reveal that the aliens were real

And the Aliens were also convinced to jerk off B.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Awful CompSloth posted:

Anyone got any political history documentaries about any countries? Talking about elections, their economy, their history, anything.

I can’t remember the name of it but I think I watched it on a recommendation from this thread. It’s one about the collapse of Yugoslavia. I believe it’s on YouTube. Someone help me out here.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Act of Killing, if you’ve never seen it, is fascinating. Although I don’t think I’ve ever felt worse at the end of a documentary before.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I'm watching Paradise Lost for tge first time and holy poo poo these trials are a farce

Satanism?

One thing that stood out is a reporter asked if a mom of one the victims considered suicide

To whoever asked a page or two ago about feel good documentaries.......this ain't one of em.

I thought Paradise Lost was some of the best true crime docs I've ever watched, but holy hell I don't think I could do it ever again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I saw him in Vegas like 15 or so years ago. He was awesome.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Hey so I made a doc that aired last week. It's about how my home state of New Mexico blew up its own mental healthcare system by falsely accusing a bunch of companies of fraud and shutting them down without due process. It's part poor-man's Errol Morris procedural and part poor-man's Streetwise.

It's called The Shake-Up and NMPBS is streaming it here: https://portal.knme.org/video/the-shake-up-gekpbo/

drat dude, you're killing me, I started watching it and got like 10 minutes in and was like "no, you're at work, you can't watch this now" and had to turn it off. It's REALLY good so far, and I'm interested to see how it all plays out. I got a big Frontline vibe from it.....only missing the awesome Frontline narrator voice.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Would one you American based folks mind checking Google play and Amazon Prime for Don't Break Down: A film about Jawbreaker? It's supposed to be out today, but not showing up on either for me. However I'm in Canada.

Hopefully that wasn't just a U.S. release date.

I see it on Amazon Prime.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Anyone here know what happened to Sean Dunne? He made American Juggalo, Trump Rally and Oxyana. I really loved his short docs and Oxyana was just loving amazing (look them up, they are all in Youtube).

Looks like he stopped releasing stuff in 2016.

He’s on Twitter. Apparently has a podcast.

https://twitter.com/SeanVeryApe

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I read a really long article about this a few years ago and I’m so happy HBO is putting out a multi-part documentary about it.

Did you know that all through the 90’s, the McDonalds Monopoly game was rigged?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK2ZGOsbeqo

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s an amazing story, looking forward to this.

Yeah I remember reading the story and thinking “why have I never heard of this???” But it is the kind of story that if you didn’t know it was true, it’s almost too whacky to believe.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
And there’s zero reason Carol’s first husband would disappear to Costa Rica and leave Carol with all of his money and let her gently caress over his children.

Also laughing at the naiveté that non-profit means good or that non-profit means Carol doesn’t make any money off of it.

Goodwill is a nonprofit and their CEO made $700k+ last year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

Tiger King (knowingly or not) misgenders and dead-names a trans man throughout, and everything with Joe's husbands stank of bi-erasure as well

I enjoyed it in spite of these things but it seemed pretty trashy (which kind of fits I guess)

There is plenty more of Joe Exotic in 'Louis Theroux: America's Most Dangerous Pets'. I haven't watched it in a long time but I remember it making me very upset & angry about animal trafficking/abuse!

Saff still goes by Kelci, how was he dead named?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Much like Tiger King, this is another podcast I listened to that’s been turned into a multipart documentary series. I’m excited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP9dJPBnSjM

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
In January I met this filmmaker who is also a professor in Northwestern’s school of journalism and I ended up telling him he reminded me of a friend of mine that he ended up knowing as well. Anyways, he was at the bar as part of a documentary he was making about the closing of Youngstown, OH’s only daily newspaper and the hole that would be left by it. And apparently it made Youngstown the largest city in the US without a daily newspaper.

It’s a good little doc, and I’m in it! I’m the geek in the glasses and red hoodie at the bar like 3/4 in.

https://localnewsinitiative.northwestern.edu/posts/2020/10/01/watch-newstown/index.html

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only thing I liked about that particular documentary was that it managed to tell its story completely through body cam footage, news reports, and social media posts/texts. I always enjoy documentaries that kind of immerse you in the topic without having talking heads and narrators telling you their very biased opinion of what happened.

Obviously it has its flaws too in that there’s not a lot of nuance that can be conveyed in that kind of documentary and this was the perfect example of that.

The OJ chase 30 for 30 was great in that regard. Perhaps the best example of that type of doc.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only mildly interesting but ultimately meaningless extra info was the tuberculosis thing.

Talk about a super weird coincidence.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There’s actually a lot of extra info about the Cecil Hotel itself and it’s links to other crimes, deaths, and murders which I found wayyyyyy more interesting than all the obnoxious internet sleuths.

edit: holy poo poo this is by the same guy that directed the Paradise Lost documentaries?!

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 15, 2021

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Anyone have links for the last few episodes? 4-6 are showing as not available in the US.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just found a great documentary on YouTube about Marvin Heemeyer (the killdozer guy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AuJohMrq5Y

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“It's one thing if you know your place; like, 'Hey, I'm an idiot who plays lovely music but people buy it – gently caress it, I'm having fun. But it's another thing when you think you're David Bowie after you've stayed up all night to write a song called 'Break Stuff'. I mean, Fred Durst probably spelt the word 'break' wrong the first couple of times. Fred Durst might be a cool guy; I don't know him. But his 'art' – in the word's loosest sense – sucks.”

-Trent Reznor

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They do discuss during part 2 that they were using 16mm film because they expected to use the footage for a tv special. But as it kind of morphs into using the footage for a movie they lament that they didn’t use 35mm. So I do kind of wonder what they raw untouched footage looks like.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Why was I sure that documentary came out a few months ago? There was definitely a Jan 6 doc on HBO that I watched. Are they seriously doing another one?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah if you want a great back catalog of great documentaries, I’d recommend HBO.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone watching The U.S. and the Holocaust on PBS?

It’s surprisingly honest and critical of the xenophobia, antisemitism, and racism that led to a lot of inaction by the US government prior to its entry into WWII.

And as usual, Ken Burns is an excellent storyteller.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I also love Burns docs and agree with the criticisms but I think if you’re skeptical you should watch the Holocaust one. It doesn’t even pretend to have that patriotic veneer and in its conclusion draws a direct line from the antisemitism and racism of the early part of the 20th century to the same poo poo today.

It’s definitely the most mask off about America that a Burns doc has ever been.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MrMojok posted:

The Netflix doc about Koresh/Waco is pretty good.

Cults are extremely fascinating and scary. Any similar docs about cults?

I also recently watched a thing on Amazon called “Jonestown: Paradise Lost” that was decent.

I assume you’ve seen Wild, Wild Country? If not that is the next thing you should watch. It’s on Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Winter on Fire is the only one I know of and it was really good. It’s a Netflix doc and I wanna say they put it on their YouTube channel for free after the Russian invasion. Not sure if it’s still available for free or not, but it’s def still on Netflix.