Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I couldn't keep watching it because it was so stupid.

I was pretty entertained by it but it went off the rails at the end. It was as much about Maury Terry's unhealthy obsession than Son of Sam really. I thought the theory of multiple shooters and the connections to the Carrs was pretty compelling but I don't buy any of the Satanist stuff.

The real turning point for me was the prison interview where the dude just completely led Berkowitz and totally hosed up. I've been looking for the full version of it or a transcript but what I saw was leading and feeding 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

If anybody likes funk music and Parliament Funkadelic, there's a good one hour doc up on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Tear-Roof-Off-Parliament-Funkadelic/dp/B07MCW9CRD

I didn't realize how big of an rear end in a top hat George Clinton is and always forget about Eddie Hazel when I list off great guitar players.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

"The Filth and the Fury" is a good punk documentary. Also, "Hated" if you have the stomach for it. I seem to remember watching a CBGB doc but can't recall the title or if I'm confusing it with the film starring Alan Rickman

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

deoju posted:

poo poo, it did. My bad. I just saw that it was upcoming on HBO Max and assumed it was new.

Here's an article from October.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/19/entertainment/four-hours-at-the-capitol-review/index.html

It's a good watch

Also, regarding the WM3 and Paradise Lost case for those that liked those docs, there's news on it.

Evidence that Echols' lawyers asked for and were told was "destroyed in a fire" was found intact, specifically the ligatures that have untested hairs on them. The state lied about a fire and the police chief has resigned. This case never ever stops being insane. Also didn't see it mentioned but John Mark Byers died a while back from a single car traffic accident.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/587211-evidence-believed-to-be-lost-in-west-memphis-3-case-reportedly-found-at

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/dec/22/west-memphis-three-granted-access-to-evidence/

Evidence believed lost in West Memphis Three case found at police department

quote:

Attorney Patrick Benca, who represents defendant Damien Echols, wrote in a Wednesday statement that he located evidence from the case after being granted access to the police department through an Arkansas state court order, according to WREG. He said the evidence, which he claims city officials previously told him was lost, destroyed or missing, was found intact and organized.

"We are pleased that the evidence is intact," Benca said, according to WREG. "We are planning to move ahead and test this evidence using the latest DNA technology available to hopefully identify the real killer(s) of the three children in 1993, and exonerate Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jesse Misskelley."

I started a WM3 thread several years ago and am considering a new one. I'm very well versed in the case and have even had correspondence with some of those involved, including Byers.

If anyone's interested, I start one but not sure where to put it. Ask/Tell I guess?

EDIT:

Here's a good in depth podcast about the recent news. S5 E5 parts 1 and 2.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-serial-dynasty-podcast

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 5, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought the condition of their release is they wouldn't legally pursue exoneration?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they did it for a second, I'm just confused.

They can't sue the state but they can pursue evidence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

Kind of Documentary related and I know a new thread was made from discussions in this thread but I can’t seem to find it, but the West Memphis 3 are up in court on June 23rd with new DNA evidence hoping to clear their names.

The documentary’s on this case are something else and if you haven’t seen them they’re well worth a watch.

I hadn't heard about this so thanks. Here's a link

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/l...RAJ6YIBPCIUKBU/

This is just to decide IF the evidence will even be allowed to be tested, which is insane. First they said it lost, then it was destroyed in a fire that never happened, then it was found intact and now the state is denying testing by Echols' team. I'm not a conspiracy minded sort but this really feels like the state and/or the WMPD is hiding something. They fight every step.

I post on a few WM3 message boards and it's crazy to me how many people still believe the WM3 are guilty. Now, why the gently caress would they push for more evidence testing if there was a chance in hell of their DNA showing up? People point out that they accepted the Alford Plea and since it was the defense team's idea as evidence of their guilt as well. gently caress that.

I'd have admitted to the Lindbergh kidnapping, the Zodiac murders and JFK if it meant I could get out of jail after 18 years. I also wouldn't want to rot in a jail cell for however long the process might take and to roll the dice once more with what is obviously a backwoods and hosed up justice system. There was no guarantee that the court would even allow evidence or, if they did, that they would make the right call on any of it. And, again, who knows how loving long this may have taken? Far easier to fight from outside prison than inside.

And these same believers in their guilt refuse who ask "why did the WM3 accept the guilty plea" are unable to answer why the STATE would agree to it and just let three Satan worshiping child killers walk scot free? They also ignore that Jadon Baldwin didn't want to take the Alford Plea but was talked into it because of Damien's failing health.

Also, check out Peter Jackson and Amy Berg's West of Memphis for the best doc on the case, IMO.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This is loving bizarre and depressing because I swear to god I've watched the HBO documentaries that led up to the one I watched today. It was like the movie "Boyhood" only with junkies in the wastelands of Newark, NJ.

It's called "Life of Crime, 1984-2020". I don't know how HBO got so much access to these people's lives but Jesus Christ was it as enlightening as it was depressing. I've struggled on and off with addiction all my life but good god all mighty am I glad I never tried heroin or dabbled with needles.

I don't know if this link will work or if it's behind my pay wall but I'm gonna post it anyway

https://play.hbomax.com/page/urn:hbo:page:GYYLgQggO0Kd9wgEAAACg:type:feature

It aint a pick me up, like AT ALL, but it will give you a glimpse at things you don't want to see but still might want to from behind the safety of a lens. I loving cried at the end and I don't break down easily. For the Grace of God Go I and all that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FWIW I found the orginal WM3 thread I made a while back if anyone wants to read it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657059&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BrianRx posted:

This is a good recommendation. I wouldn't say it's actually "good" as a film, but the access to the subject's lives and the length of time over which they are followed is pretty incredible. It's very hard to watch in certain places and the title strongly hints at the ultimate outcomes of the people documented, but I still found myself on the rollercoaster of hope and disappointment every time it looked like someone had a shot at stability but ultimately fell back into active addiction.

I also have some experience with addiction, recovery, and relapse, though my socioeconomic circumstances are very different and I'm lucky to have a solid social safety net. For the people followed in the film, the difference in quality of life between active addiction and incarceration versus sobriety and participation in society is much more narrow and it seems like everyone they know is encouraging them to use all the time they are clean. It's all very desperate and illustrative of both the pull of addiction and the difficulty of building something solid to stand on out of the rubble of your life when you get a rare opportunity to change things.

I would have liked more frequent check ins with the subjects, especially at the beginning when they start experiencing the consequences of their behavior. So much of the film is the result of the decisions they made early in their lives. I would also like to know more about how they got to the point at which we join them in their 20s. Addiction runs deep and whatever brought them to where they are at the beginning of the film is as important as anything that follows and maybe more so.

All in all, I strongly recommend watching it if you have an interest in poverty, crime, and addiction. Be aware that one of the original subjects who drops out fairly early is an abusive piece of poo poo and assaults his pregnant partner on film at one point. When the director, John, visits him in jail for the last time, he seems to be taunting him about the length of his sentence, like he's happy that some moral arc of consequence is punishing him. Probably not great for someone who is supposed to be a neutral observer, but totally understandable and deserved.

1. I think we got a strong glimpse of that with a few of the parents and step fathers. Couple of those male parental figures were pretty far gone and I didn't see anyone really taking on the role of a father in any meaningful way. The one mom was in "what are you gonna do?" mode when her son skipped his court date. The whole scenario just reeked of helplessness.

2. I didn't think the director was taunting that dude you mentioned. I'm not a punitive minded type but I have to admit I was glad to see that pregnant wife beating motherfucker go down, especially given his bravado and macho posturing. I wanted to beat the poo poo out of him myself with that "get back in your loving hole" diatribe he went on. In what way did you think the director was taunting him?

Looking at all of them and their situation, I got the sense that there were just really limited ways out, even if some of them occasionally had good intentions, if that makes sense. I've lived in some rough parts of Philly, SF, Jacksonville and Atlanta but I was at least going to college or had some sort of regular job and a support system. That ending loving crushed me because I really thought Delirus had turned a corner there and it was rough seeing her catch a hot shot like that

This doc was like watching Boyhood only it was real.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Strong agree. I was also pretty upset about the circumstances of Rob's death and the way he was found. He seemed like he was doing the work to build the tools to stay sober and was living the "service" part of recovery, but addiction did what it does. I really didn't need to see his badly decomposed face at the morgue.

No poo poo on that last point. Jesus Christ I turned my head fast but caught enough of it and didn't really think that was necessary to include. Thing I couldn't figure out was why there was so much blood but I guess it was a live vein he caught and it turned into like a siphon or something. The way they handled that was a little over the top and gratuitous.

Re-reading your explanation about Michael though and you're actually right. But I also have to think the film makers probably hated his loving guts from that poo poo they filmed. I imagine part of the non disclosure agreement or whatever it was that gained them access precluded them from doing anything about him beating the poo poo out of his pregnant wife so I can't really fault them for being a little bit "who's a big shot now, fuckface?" about it.

I wanted to loving beat that rear end in a top hat with a tire iron.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Justifiably so, in my opinion - Michael was a piece of poo poo abuser & nobody deserves to be treated the way he treated his girlfriend. I don't blame them for rubbing it in his face that he was a dipshit, especially after the whole debacle with his girlfriend trying to get an abortion through her mom. He's the only one I had zero pity or sympathy for at the end - everyone else at least tried to do better, but Michael was a piece of poo poo regardless.

Agreed. Michael was full of bravado and macho posturing that the other guys didn't really exhibit so I have to admit it was satisfying to see him get his. I mean the other two were cocky and poo poo but aside from the shoplifting, bad parenting and just being irresponsible addicts, they weren't violent, aggressive or loving mean and generally weren't assholes. Neither of them made me MAD.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thing that gets me about some of them is, within that timeline, it's hard for me to picture how they filmed certain scenes, especially the shoplifting ones. Back then, cameras weren't tiny phones or go pros so I'd think the film makers would be pretty conspicuous in some shots while the perps are trying to be sneaky and poo poo. I wonder how confidentiality might work too since I can't imagine how a lot of that film wouldn't be considered evidence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

They were sneaking huge rear end suitcases and boxes out of those stores they could prob get away with hiding a camera stuffed inside a big purse or something. They didn't look like high end places with more than 2 employees

bort posted:

I think the cost/time/effort of a subpoena probably outweighed the need for evidence. They all had more than a dozen convictions.

Good points. Still weird to me that the thieves would go for it but it's not like they had a ton of sense anyway and were also of course being paid. Wonder how much they were getting and if the producers ever felt bad about enabling them financially and feeding their drug use? Hell, if anything, and had it been me doing the shoplifting, I would have used the cameramen as a shield/distraction. Maybe they did. I didn't realize it was three parts but after you guys mentioned it it jogged a memory of seeing these characters a long time ago.

Also seems like a prosecutor with a hard on could have charged the HBO crew of being an accomplice or aiding and abetting since they were paying the "cast", you know? I've looked around for more HBO docs like this and closest one I've found was Hookers at the Point. Anyone know any other similar drug type ones?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, on the one hand gently caress cops. On the other hand, gently caress that Michael poo poo head also who, given a slightly different path in life, could have very easily been a cop himself. Hell, with half the illegal poo poo he got up to in addition to being a wife beating, self entitled arrogant poo poo head, he would have blended right in on the Jersey police force.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's 100% option B.

And I don't know but you're probably right. I wonder what the deals that were cut and what the non disclosure forms looked like. These people took money from a film crew in exchange for being filmed committing numerous crimes. I have to imagine there was some form of protection built in somewhere but then again the protagonists of the films don't strike me as being on top of their legal game beyond the lawyers they needed once they got busted so it was probably as simple as "here's $1500 to let us film whatever we want".

I mean, they didn't have agents.

That one prostitute from Hookers on the Point said on one of the later episodes that her business went UP as a result of appearing on HBO and that it was like a commercial for her or a form of marketing. Johns actively sought her out after seeing her on the documentaries and she'd achieved a certain level of fame.

At what point does the film making cross over into a form of enabling? I think it's an interesting question.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Here's a super hosed up one I remember seeing on HBO a long time ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcKAW-xkOig

:nms:

Extremely graphic but it's got it all.

The shortcomings of our criminal justice system, racism, how prison makes people worse, creepy shitheads preying on 15 year old girls, struggling families and what that does to kids. I'd forgotten about it and kind of wish I hadn't stumbled on it again because it shook me to the core the first time I saw this on TV. The killer was in jail for murdering a pedophile and his accomplice was in there for forging a $300 check.

Watch at your own risk.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Watched a pretty batshit Netlfix doc about the killdozer guy. Not wild about all the re-enactments but the real audio recordings of this dude's manifesto kind of make up for it and there's a lot of real video footage mixed in, especially in the last third. I don't know if this link works or if it's tied to my personal account but anyway

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81206...8_ROOT%2C%2C%2C

It's called "Tread" and I think it's worth checking out.

I'd heard a little bit about the story but not the whole thing and it's like some Taxi Driver Travis Bickle poo poo except this dude built a tank out of a loving bulldozer that he galvanized with steel and concrete and then went Juggernaut with his mission.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 17, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

These two are related.

An artist, writer and photographer tried to go full Gonzo journalism with heroin by involving himself in the story with sadly predictable results. The dude felt he had to use the drugs and experience withdrawal to cover the subject honestly and whether one believes that rationale or not is left up the viewer but it's just wild to me, and I'm not sure why, to study the depths of addiction. Probably because it's I'm an addict myself and really loving glad I never used heroin or put a spike in my arm

Anyway, have some more sad

Part 1
https://vimeo.com/149131539

Part 2
https://vimeo.com/145770018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Just realized that this dropped and can't wait to watch it. Reviews have been stellar

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MrMojok posted:

The HBO Carlin documentary is really, really great.

Seconded. I'm about 1/3 of the way through episode 2 and it's fantastic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

haldolium posted:

highly recommend Gladbeck on Netflix. Even in times where livestreams of ongoing wars are almost the norm, this film is still very disturbing from many perspectives.

Its especially noteworthy that it has no interviews and no classification. Its original footage only.

Jesus. This is like Dog Day Afternoon only in Germany

EDIT

Also, I hadn't seen it mentioned but Sasha Cohen did a follow up to to Borat 2 that was not a comedy and peeled back the curtain of some of the poo poo he pulled off in Subsequent Movie Film called Borat's Amercian Lockdown that interviews serious people on the things he hosed around with. I had my doubts about the 2 rednecks he lived with and how much was staged (and still do) but I still found it worth a watch. Seeing him going from ultimate satire to rather serious was a tonal shift that I found compelling.

It's on Amazon

Edit 2

Also, holy moly, don't watch The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez unless you want to have your heart ripped out of your chest and instantly become a staunch supporter of the death penalty. It's a tough watch

Do we have a dedicated True Crime thread on the forums? Like for podcasts, books, docs and such? Seems there'd be one somewhere since I can't be the only person that pays attention to that but I've looked around an nada. Maybe I'll start one.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 16, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A fair amount of true crime docs come up in this thread and it got me to wondering if there's a dedicated thread for true crime poo poo on the forums.

Between podcasts, books and documentaries, I can't possibly be the only one here that gets into some of that poo poo.

I guess some people consider it to be exploitative and trashy (and a lot of it can be) but I view it more through a lens of behavioral science. If I were to start a dedicated True Crime thread in Rapidly Going Deaf, you think anyone would be interested?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

go for it itd be interesting

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yes, probably.

True crime comes up a lot in the PYF unnerving thread, but it is a pretty slow moving thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631148

Cool. I'll work up an OP then. Not sure whether to put it in RGD, TVIV or here in CD though. I listen to true crime podcasts but also watch documentaries on TV, on subscription services and also read books on the subject so let me think about it.

Suggestions on where to post it anyone?

Also, stumbled on a comic book doc I've never seen that's pretty good and is up on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/mystuff/ref=atv_dp_mv_c_9zZ8D2_1_6

Called "Superheroes: A Never Ending Battle" and it has a lot to offer for fans of the medium. Hopefully that link works even though it's from my logged in account.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't have Shudder but I'm interested in this GWAR documentary

https://www.avclub.com/this-gwar-review-dave-brockie-hunter-jackson-1849116619

trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Z4pB9m8F0

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I also read that review and had no idea GWAR was such a contentious project.

Me neither but I can certainly see how it got that way.

A bunch of fine artists and musicians all working extremely hard on some extraordinary stage shows and touring constantly for very little fame or money is gonna lead to some tension, financial issues and jostling for control.

As someone with a fine arts degree, I really appreciate GWAR's theatrics and have seen them three times. I could take or leave the music, honestly, but the poo poo they pull off from a visual and mere craft angle is really loving something. But an act like that is never really going to go mainstream and has very few angles to "sell out" even if they wanted to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I like true crime and checked it out. It was quite good

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This one flew under my radar but this Bowie documentary, Moonage Daydream, looks interesting

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/watch-trailer-david-bowie-film/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I should definitely see anything that the June 17th, 1994 guy directs

Was this sarcastic or genuine? I enjoyed that 30 for 30 episode a great deal so I assume the former?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Coaaab posted:

1 billion percent genuine, I liked Jane too, probably should get around to his Cobain doc

Right on. I didn't know he did a Cobain doc. Have to look that up.

Moonage Daydream looks like it has a lot of new and pretty candid stuff. For a second, I thought this was the film that couldn't get access to Bowie's music but I think was the fictional biopic and I got them confused. Because a documentary about a musician without their actual loving music is guaranteed to suck. I heard Netflix is working on a Prince documentary (or series) but all the news I hear about it seems to come in fits and starts where it's on one minute and in limbo the next. I can't help but wonder if access to the music is holding it up. Prince didn't leave a will and was notoriously protective of his work, plus the estate has like 5 family members or something all vying for...well, money.

Speaking of music docs (and sorry if it came up previously) but Amy was really loving good and I just recently got around to seeing it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've mentioned a few times that I like true crime stuff. At least good stuff.

I happened upon an HBO doc called "Who Killed Garrett Phillips" and am about 75% through it so I haven't drawn any conclusions or formed an opinion yet but I had to pause it just now because one thing I just saw really stood out to me.

During jury selection at the accused's trial, the DA said she thought "voire dire went really well" and went on to say that she KNEW one of the jurors, who she thought "he would do a very job and give both sides a fair shake" on the basis that she knew that man. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a prosecutor/DA personally knowing a potential juror automatically waive that person from selection? That's assuming also that the defense was even aware of this fact which, if they were, I would think they would move to immediately strike that individual from jury consideration, no?

Maybe this will get brought up again because it looks like the suspect wasn't convicted but what the hell? Am I mistaken here?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 6, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I cheated and looked the case up, and it may or may not come up. Little spoiler It could just be setting the scene giving the outcome and you're supposed to be thinking that.

My not a lawyer knowledge of it is that they allow jurors to stay even if they know the lawyers involved as long as it's not a close relationship. They push "but will this relationship bias your decision/Can't you look past your prior knowledge of this person?" hard. I've just heard it come up before since a school I went to had a few prominent lawyer parents and non-lawyer parents were kind of bummed that they couldn't use the "'We worked a charity thing together" excuse to get out of jury duty.

If the prosecutor knows them well enough to make sincere character judgments, then yeah, it's kind of hosed and probably over the line and the defense probably didn't know.

I finished it up and it turns out the juror didn't come up, for reasons I won't spoil, but I think that any lawyer on a case who knows a juror should disqualify that person from the box. That just seems like common sense.

I gotta say that I think in this case of Who Killed Garrett Phillips and Nick Hillary, I have to lean towards thinking he's good for it BUT that the prosecution absolutely did not prove their case. I often go to message boards and discussion groups for true crime cases that draw my interest, especially those that are unsolved or where it looks like they got the wrong person, and one thing that always freaks me out is the...I dunno...blood thirst and aggression I see from so many people who are so sure of themselves, rush to judgement and immediately start calling for gallows.

I'm not sure, were I ever in trouble like this, that I would want a jury of my "peers" deciding my fate. The supposition seems to automatically lean towards guilt instead of the other way around.

MeinPanzer posted:

Having just finished a long true crime podcast in which jury selection was a central issue, knowing one of the lawyers involved doesn’t necessarily disqualify you. Basically as I understand it there are two rounds of jury selection: a first round removes people based on serious issues that come up in the questionnaire they have to fill out ahead of time (I.e. having committed a crime in the past); the second then involves what are called peremptory strikes, in which either side gets a fixed number of opportunities to strike people for basically any reason short of openly discriminatory ones.

My understanding is that if the relationship isn’t specifically brought up in questioning, it wouldn’t necessarily be an issue. Also, in a lot of small communities everyone knows everyone, including prosecutors and public defenders, so it can be almost impossible to avoid that kind of connection.

That still seems hosed up to me. If I personally know the defense attorney or the prosecutor, right away my judgement is slanted whether I want it to be or not, right? It's like interviewing for a job against and equally qualified applicant but I happen to have gone to school or worked with Mary so I have an edge there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Absolutely, it’s something I’ve thought about a bunch too. Shows why rich people paying for super expensive attorneys is such a thing, because they have the ability to sway the dummies who decide your fate regardless of the facts.

For the regular rear end person who ends up in court, how many of those jurors actually want to be there, and for the right reason? People always seem to be pissed to be called and half of me thinks they’ll have the mindset that’ll want to send the guy down for ‘wasting their time’ from the outset.

I've heard from people who have served that "their job is to convict" and think that eyewitness testimony is unimpeachable, police would never lie, anyone who is arrested must have done something and that, someone with a criminal record or who is a sex worker is automatically lying. They don't think that false confessions are real.

People like that are not my "peers" in any sense of the word.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anyone seen the new David Bowie thing yet?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

i went to one of the channel 5 live shows and one of the motivators that Andrew says drives him is to look at these opposite ends as people rather than villains or caricatures. hes interested in how people get there

he's still a young guy but i wanted to tell him that no amount of humanizing these people is going to help you understand what makes an rear end in a top hat. they are assholes, and one day it just flips on. doesn't matter what its triggered by. I've suffered assholes and trying to understand them in the hopes of bringing them back from the rear end in a top hat edge and really all i did was waste my own time on a very boring story and situation. and it's the same story over and over. they loose their empathy and are assholes because of it.

Not sure I agree with all this, at least in the sense of discovering what made someone become the rear end in a top hat that they turned into. It doesn't excuse any of it nor draw you any closer to being able to change them, but I've known a few people throughout my life where gaining an understanding of their upbringing was kind of an "actually, that explains a lot" type of situation. Like learning that a lot of the bullies in my adolescence where beaten a lot by their parents or that other kids I knew that seemed a little twisted or neurotic were being sexually abused.

But I'm kind of empathetic by default and am almost as fascinated by people who aren't as I am loathful of them.

It's a bit like saying that serial killers are just born that way and that some people are just evil - and maybe they are - but...I dunno...to use a different measuring stick: what makes some people devoutly religious and others hardocre atheists? I don't think we're just born or genetically predisposed into believing in supply side economics or being racist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not sure who here has seen Dog Day Afternoon but it's really great and everyone should check it out.

It's based on a true story about a gay man who attempted a bank robbery in 1972 to pay for his lover's sex change operation and stars Al Pacino and John Cazale from the Godfather films.

I happened upon this youtube documentary that's low quality but really compelling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgj55GgVAmU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tingler posted:

Dog Day Afternoon is a great film, but not a documentary

I know. The video I linked, however, IS and discusses the changes the movie made, etc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I love all the HBO crime/drug documentaries and stumbled on one I'd never seen called Dope Sick Love

https://play.max.com/movie/f71ce2b7-6a13-4a86-83d0-5ddb8cde334e

It's pretty much what one has come to expect from HBO drug docs but, as a recovering addict myself, I still find them fascinating. Mainly for how real they are and how well they capture the dehumanizing effects of severe drug addiction without really dehumanizing the subjects themselves. Oddly, I find it a little cathartic to see people who have sunken lower than I did and there's a weird sense of accomplishment knowing that I managed to quit freebasing on my own as I watch these people spiral lower and lower, even though I'm rooting for them. I was right up on the edge with a cocaine habit and facing having no place to live at the age of 25, three thousand miles away from my family, multiple (failed) attempts to quit and ultimately being involved in a hit and run accident that still haunts me to this day. (Nobody was injured).

I got into a fender bender wreck right near my work a long time ago. It was the other driver's fault but I was driving my friend's car, had no California license, had an 8 ball of coke and a 1/2 ounce of weed in the car and had done a few rails so I booked it out of there by pretending to pull over and then took off. I still feel bad about it and that was the incident that ultimately led me to get clean - or to at least stop doing hard, illegal drugs - so I sold my possessions and moved back home.

Thing I never get with these movies, though, is how they film them and the relationship between the camera crew and the subjects. I think of this when I remember the crazy poo poo I got up to, much of which was not only embarrassing but VERY illegal, and I think about "what if this had been filmed?" Do these addicts get paid? How do they film them shoplifting, getting high in apartment elevators, copping deals around policemen and poo poo like that? How do bystanders and witnesses not notice the film crew? The addicts are leaving blood and dirty needles in plain sight in common areas that I have to think are extreme health code situations at a minimum, where people should be warned and the areas cleaned up. I wonder if footage ever gets subpoenaed and what types of disclosure forms and legal protection the filmmakers have? Or the subjects for that matter?

Many, MANY crimes are shown being committed in full view, in broad daylight and with easily identifiable locations and suspects. Also, the drug users in these docs seem to willingly allow the film crew to record them at their absolute lowest, with their family members, endangering kids and getting up to all manner of horrible poo poo that's real easy to locate on a map; with a timestamp even. Can an argument be made that these subjects are being exploited or even set up in a fashion?

They appear to be being enabled at a bare minimum.

Lastly, god drat do I ever loving HATE needles and turn away every time one of these people shoot up, especially when they seem to be having trouble with it. One line I'm glad I never crossed or got caught up in.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 9, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did you ever see the three Life of Crime docs on HBO? (One Year in a Life of Crime, Life of Crime 2, Life of Crime 1984-2020). The crime is for the most part petty street stuff done to fuel addiction.

I have, yes, and I really like them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BrianRx posted:

I liked these, but I felt like they may have blurred the line between observing and participating in the lives of the people they were filming in an uncomfortable way. There's one guy who's an abusive piece of poo poo (Ricky? Richie?) who skips a court date or is wanted by the police for some other reason. The filmmakers are with him when/where he's hiding out, and they're also riding along with the police when they arrest him. I think it's the only time they interact with the police in that way and it's hard to think of an explanation for that other than that the crew told the police where to find him.

Regardless of that, goddamn did I hate to see people find their way into recovery and at least appear to be building a sober life before relapsing and dying before the next check in with the filmmaker. COVID killed a lot of people who never got the virus.

That's kind of what I mean. Could this be a form of aiding and abetting? The filmmakers are also right there when that rear end in a top hat beats the poo poo out of his wife and do nothing about it. All kinds of weird questions I have watching these. For instance, it seems like the cameras would be quite large so how do they blend in in department stores and poo poo while the subjects are shoplifting? Wouldn't a street dealer take issue with a big rear end camera filming a drug transaction?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BrianRx posted:

It was super gross in a number of ways. Seeing a guy you know reduced to that mess is pretty hosed up. It would have been super duper easy to handle it like when Delores relapsed and died.

Yeah, that was visceral and probably a bit much but the fascinating thing to me watching these people deteriorate over a long period of time, just being trapped in the life and often retaining a sense of optimism. It was like the movie "Boyhood" only non fictional. What was the time span from "small time shoplifting junkies" to full on "passing out in the street"? Less than a decade? More?

Guess I could look it up.16 years.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15119154/

Getting back the idea of the subjects being enabled by the films: I remember the Hookers on the Point series or whatever it was called and one of the more "famous" characters actually had an increase in business because Johns recognized her from the show and looked at her a little like being able to gently caress a celebrity. I don't know how you show the reality of this poo poo without at least somewhat exploiting the subjects, no matter how sympathetic you make them out to be. But I'm glad these docs exist since they're about the most honest portrayals of that life that we're ever liable to get.

Related: Anyone ever seen the doc about the photo journalist who took it upon himself to get inside the reality of heroin users and then documented himself hopelessly hooked? It may have come up before. His name was Lanre_Fehintola

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanre_Fehintola

Here's the films about him

https://vimeo.com/145770018

https://vimeo.com/149131539

and one more by the same director

https://vimeo.com/145135738

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Watched Netlix' Johnny Manziel documentary, Untold: Johnny Football, and it's real good if you're into sports/football. Or even looking at the destructive nature of addiction and depression.