Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

BITCH, I'D RATHER KEEP MY PTSD THAN HAVE YOUR BITCH ASS TRY TO HELP

DUNSON'D

SheepNameKiller posted:

Earthlings is basically an animal snuff film. I'm trying hard to find its artistic merit beyond that, but it seems like someone took the most graphic animal deaths they could find and looped it over images of slaughterhouses in order to scare the human race into not eating meat.

That said, there are rare moments in the film where it shows a real cow being slaughtered in a humane fashion and you feel genuinely sorry for the cow. These moments are drowned out by some of the sickest acts of depravity ever carried out against animals though. Humans are butchered in disgusting ways every day too, it's a sick act carried out by sick individuals, and I feel like the makers of this film are exploiting some absolutely disgusting footage to get their point across.

This is why I won't watch this. I couldn't even make it through the trailer, and while I realize the industry is bad, all they seemed to do was toss in the most horrible stuff imaginable, regardless of how common or uncommon it is.

That being said, I've only managed to watch two documentaries so far. Zoo was awesome, though it might make you wonder about the morality of the situation. Very unbiased, too.

Don't watch Last Minutes With Oden unless you have a few minutes alone to spend curled up in the fetal position. Actually, get your dog to curl up with you. Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D

Haven't watched this yet, but it's about MMORPG addiction and looks pretty interesting. The video has been taken off of Hulu, however. It's available on Netflix instant play for those who have it.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Just a note of warning to those who plan to watch Dear Zachary but have yet to. I was not at all prepared for the soulcrushingness of this documentary. I cried myself to sleep last night and have been in a horrible mood all day. It's beautiful and terrible and I honestly sort of regret watching it because I'll never forget it. Truly one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Forgot about an old favorite.

Jesus Camp.

Documents several Evangelical Christian children at a religious summer camp. Pretty creepy poo poo. After the documentary was released, the woman who ran the place shut it down.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Just started watching this and it's pretty interesting so far.

The Most Hated Family In America

Journalist follows the family of the Westboro Baptist Church, best know for being those douchebags who picket funerals with anti-gay messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

This website seems to have a pretty good collection of documentaries organized by subject. The quality isn't amazing, but it's fun to explore. :)