Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I'll definitely have a lot to watch in the coming weeks, this is awesome.

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

possibly :nms: if you have a heart.
http://www.earthlings.com/

Ughh my god, as an animal lover this was so hard to watch, but as I do eat some meat I felt I should. And honestly this should be required watching, for everyone.
It's honestly quite scary to watch because the people featured in this seem so.. damaged. It's frightening to see how easily people can become desensitised to suffering. It blows my mind to think there really are people that think animals don't feel pain.

This thread is great and I've watched a whole bunch of things linked, and to add some content I offer what's currently my favourite documentary series presented by the legendary David Attenborough:

Nature's Great Events
"Nature's Great Events is a wildlife documentary series made for BBC television, first shown in the UK on BBC One and BBC HD in February 2009. The series looks at how seasonal changes powered by the sun cause shifting weather patterns and ocean currents, which in turn create the conditions for some of the planet’s most spectacular wildlife events. Each episode focuses on the challenges and opportunities these changes present to a few key species."

There are six episodes;
- The Great Melt
- The Great Salmon Run
- The Great Migration
- The Great Tide
- The Great Flood (I can't find this one but I'm sure it's out there)
- The Great Feast

They are all absolutely stunning, but the great salmon run is my favourite in particular. Watch this in HD or BluRay and be absolutely amazed. Beautiful series and incredibly humbling.
Please consider buying it rather than streaming, if you can. The quality on those links is criminal in comparison to its official releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

l3v3l4outbr3ak posted:

I try and make a point to watch a minimum of 2 docs a week, just for my own benefit. Recently, one floored me. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is the sort of thing that truly showcases the absolute best and worst of humanity. I don't know that any other piece of media has sent my emotions on such a roller coaster. Don't read much about it, just go and watch the drat thing. It ruined my day, but in the sort of way that reminds me I'm human.

Netlix WI Link

I have no more new documentary recommendations right this second but I have to quote this one because it is absolutely incredible.

I've never been so affected by a documentary. Please watch this.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think the whole point of Earthlings is just to shock you into total veganism. They are obviously biased and would rather show you the absolute worst of the worst with no context so you will assume it's the norm, and far more common than it actually is. Obviously the stuff they showed does go on and it's despicable, but if they did give statistics and facts it would lessen the impact because you'd see it's not as common as they're making out.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

King Lou posted:

I cannot remember the name of this documentary but its the one about the guy who has injected his penis with all this silicone and made it like a giant crazy blob. I've been googling for like 20 minutes and can't find it. I think it was a BBC series on body image? I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Going to watch a doc for lunch today. Here we go!

Might not be the same but Channel 4 had a documentary called 'The Perfect Penis'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQZHJEKe44

This is obviously :nws:!

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress? Is there a good reason why I can't view the nature documentaries on the BBC's youtube channel?

'This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.'

I'm in the UK! What the hell is this? Why aren't these available to me? :confused:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really interested in the history of spiritualism and cold reading and seances and the psychology behind them, but I can't really find any documentaries or lectures. Looking for documentaries about spiritualism just results in people that actually believe in it :(

Anyone got any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ever read any of the books on the subject?

If you happen to know any particularly good ones I'm all ears, all I seem to be able to find on this stuff is from the people that believe it