Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

Stuporstar posted:

Why the gently caress would somebody pull the skin off an animal while it was still alive!?! Who the gently caress would do that!? I don't understand! :cry:

Oh god, please tell me this doesn't happen. Why the gently caress man? Just why do people think that doing poo poo like this to animals isn't as bad as doing it to a person. I just..I don't know.

I wanted to watch it, but now I'm not so bloody sure. I watched the trailer and I just went all :smithicide: I don't know if I should now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I'll definitely have a lot to watch in the coming weeks, this is awesome.

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

possibly :nms: if you have a heart.
http://www.earthlings.com/

So, I started to watch it. loving DO NOT WATCH IT I can not emphasise this enough. I literally :barf: whilst crying. I had to turn it off. I've become desensitized to so much due to SA and the internet and nothing has ever effected me more.

Maybe I'm a pussy but I swear to God, that is the most sickening thing I've ever watched and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless you are going to use it as a torture device.

To contribute:

Children of the State Part 1

This documentary was filmed by Ahn Chol, a journalist who secretly filmed in North Korea. He travelled through North Korea trying to find out what it is like for children that are poor or orphans. He travels to Camp 22, the concentration camp in North Korea as well as the city of Pyongyang, which he describes as 'eerie' 'like a multi-million dollar film set'. It is incredibly moving as well as quite dangerous for Ahn Chol himself.

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

Miss Areola Canasta posted:

Food, Inc. is chock-full of statistics about factory farming. Highly recommended.

http://www.netflix.com/WiSearch?v1=Food,%20Inc.&oq=food,%20inc

Dude, it's like the second post on the first page.

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

spixxor posted:

This seems like the appropriate thread to ask in-why do we americans always get gypped out of David Attenborough narration? :( First it was Sigourney Weaver, now it's loving Oprah. Is it some kind of...contractual conflict, or what?

I liked the Sigourney Weaver narration of Planet Earth, I don't know why.

I think maybe if a British person narrated the show, Americans would be less inclined to watch it? I mean, if I watched a nature documentary, narrated by an American I would be far less motivated to watch it. Familiarity maybe?

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

Zigmidge posted:

It's not a case of americans being familiar with a british accent, it's a case of american management being full of blithering idiots.

Or this. Probably this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot
Does anyone know where I can watch that Louis Theroux documentary on the crime in Johannesburg and another based on meth in America?