Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cogito Ergo Absum
Oct 31, 2008
Chiming in with rage over Attenborough being replaced by Oprah for Life. I liked Sigourney Weaver on Planet Earth, but you can't beat Attenborough in nature docs. And I really dislike Oprah and there's nothing special or interesting about her voice. If I end up eventually buying Life I better be able to find it with Attenborough's narration.

I'm still giddy like a schoolgirl with anticipation over Life. I'll just ignore the fact that it's Oprah telling me all that cool poo poo.

Also, thanks to whomever posted that "The Human Face" docu, I think I saw part of it on TV years ago and never knew what it was called. I love me some anthropological/sociological documentaries, which is why Desmond Morris's The Human Animal is one of my favorites. Morris describes it as "A study of human behavior from a zoological perspective" and it's fascinating.

It's also up on Google video.

Cogito Ergo Absum fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cogito Ergo Absum
Oct 31, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

I quickly scanned the thread and saw no mention of it but you guys do seem to appreciate Frontline. If you do, you owe it to yourself to watch their latest. While certainly not their most informative piece, Behind Taliban Lines offers such a perspective that I was riveted for the entire 40 minutes.

It comes from an Afghan reporter who was offered to stay with a Taliban cell called the central group who are part of the Hezb-i-Islami, the main organized insurgent force in charge of activity in north Afghanistan. He was able to travel with them during a planned attack on coalition forces.

Saw this on PBS a few days ago and I recommend it for anyone interested in the current wars in the middle east. Seeing actual combat missions, and the individuals doing them, from the insurgents' side, is really interesting.

After watching most of Wild China I've come back to recommend it to anyone who enjoys Planet Earth or any nature show. The bamboo forests were my favorite part. And it's not just the awesomely cool animals and environments either, there's a lot about the people living in each region, and the cultural perspective is fascinating.

Cogito Ergo Absum
Oct 31, 2008

spixxor posted:

Must be. It's a bit annoying that it's nothing more than stupid executives though. Really, how many americans watch documentaries anyway? Aren't most of them busy with American idol and poo poo? I actually prefer british accents in my documentaries. It's more...soothing? Interesting? Hell if I know.

At the very least they could've gotten Mike Rowe. He would be an acceptable substitute. loving Oprah!

"When the male lion sees the hyena he immediately becomes alert and EVERYBODY GETS A FREE WASHER DRYER SET!"

I really enjoyed Mike Rowe's narration of Wild Pacific, which was just about as good as Planet Earth. I'd love if he was narrating Life.

I think the reason the blithering Discovery executives go for American narrators is the familiarity. But I agree that creamy British voices sound better telling me about nature than hard-edged American grunting.

ColdCock posted:

It makes good sense to me, as all of the original content on the Discovery Channel is garbage, viewed mostly by xenophobic trash. Companies that make money generally have management that knows what's up.

Not everything on Discovery is Swamp Loggers and Deadliest Catch (just most of it).

Cogito Ergo Absum
Oct 31, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I can sympathize with him. Sigourney Weaver was good as the narrator for Planet Earth, though I enjoyed Attenborough more, but switching him out with loving Oprah for the Life series is pure bullshit. Her recent record of advocacy is almost the antithesis of the science that makes shows like Planet Earth and Life possible, with her support of New Age bullshit like The Secret and Suzanne Sommers with her dangerous hormone replacement therapies. They're replacing a true-to-life naturalist like Attenborough with a pure cash-grab in the form of Oprah.

Precisely this. But I don't think the reasonable reaction is to proclaim your noble piracy that will stick it to Discovery, just buy the DVD with Attenborough narrating and be done with it.

Cogito Ergo Absum
Oct 31, 2008

WouldDesk posted:

I am looking for you fine folks for help. I am searching for recent combat documentaries (Iraq, Afghanistan) that have not been posted, such as Restrepo, Armadillo, Gunner Palace, 21 Days to Baghdad, episodes of Dispatches with embedded reporters. They were all great and I would like to see more. Or any good non-conspiracy 9/11 films from that day. I have about 290 conspiracy films all of the same poo poo. It is terrible.

I'm not sure if it's been posted in this thread (it was in the last docu thread), or if you've seen them, but PBS Frontline has several excellent documentaries on this topic. Specifically The Wounded Platoon follows a platoon in the 506th Infantry, mostly dealing with the psychological aspects of combat and returning home. Obama's War is a good one about Afghanistan and how the military planned to change their tactics after the lessons of Iraq. These and some others can be seen here, I think you need to be in the US to view them, but I could be wrong.

PBS Frontline is one of the best documentary series out there, any of them will keep you interested. I really can't recommend them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cogito Ergo Absum
Oct 31, 2008

Sneep posted:

I hope no one has mentioned it, but they may have. Anyway, Crossing the Line is a documentary about US defectors to North Korea - they crossed the DMZ something like forty years ago and have been living in North Korea ever since. They tried to escape once, but were sent back.

Here is a YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHAMAwIWciA&feature=related

and here is the netflix link, so you don't have to bother with the pesky parts:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Crossing_the_Line/70059636?trkid=2361637

I love all documentaries North Korea, so I may be biased, but I thought it was pretty good.

Chiming in to say this was a great watch. Dresnok's reasons for defecting, and his experiences during and after that, are fascinating to think about. I was surprised to learn a man had defected to NK, but the documentary tells of the four men who defected, all within 18 months if I remember right. Their lives there and personality clashes play out like a great drama.

I have a soft spot for North Korea documentaries too, but this will be a good watch for anyone interested in US-Korea history or defection in general.

On another note, I have one episode left in Wonders of the Universe with Brian Cox, which is amazing if you liked Wonders of the Solar System (can't find a link right now) or astronomy/cosmology in general. Cox is a great presenter and the CG sequences are impressive (no HD in this upload unfortunately).