Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Horse Divorce posted:

This Film is Not Yet Rated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqxuGlxbWc

Was a great documentary on censorship in film by the MPAA. Violence? Kill all you want. Language? Foul mouth away! Oral sex between two females? Whoa there, partner...

Been a long time since I saw it, but I remember it was good.

And as a request, anybody have stuff on quantum mechanics or quantum physics? Think Double slit experiment type stuff. My apologies if it's already been posted.

This is a great film. I file this one under "I didn't learn a whole lot that I didn't already know, but it made me sooooo mad!"

Seconding Fog of War, too. It's a classic, and any self-respecting history nerd should give it a shot. Speaking of which, I'm surprised Hearts and Minds hasn't been mentioned yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I haven't watched Earthlings for the same reason I don't watch "caught on tape" deaths on the news. I'm not a babbie so I don't need visual confirmation that awful poo poo happens. Without having seen the film, which might make me an rear end in a top hat but whatever, I agree with SheepNameKiller completely.

HatSmack posted:

Well yeah, only for that moment.

The creepiest/scariest part is when he talks about asking a random stranger for directions and shooting him in the head with the crossbow to see if it's effective at killing someone. gently caress.

Yeah. I just watched this one. The fact that he's so friendly and casual about it all makes everything so much creepier.

On a completely unrelated note:

Lost in LaMancha is an excellent documentary about Terry Gilliam and his doomed quest to make a Don Quixote film. Gilliam always dreamed (and continue to dream) of making a Don Quixote film, but his attempt to do so was buried by disaster after disaster. It's a fascinating, sometimes funny, and ultimately heart-wrenching look at Gilliam and his work. This documentary is particularly interesting because it doesn't have to stretch to make Gilliam himself seem like Quixote in the way he doggedly pursues flights of fancy despite any trouble the industry causes him. The only Gilliam-related documentary I would be more interested in would be one about Brazil (which is the reason Giliam is on my list of favorite directors).

I think the first part of the film can be found here.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

So, I just watched Dear Zachary. I haven't been this affected by a documentary, well, probably ever. Thanks a bunch, you jerks. :smithicide:

Kidding about the jerks. It was a great piece and I'm glad I watched it, even if it's going to ruin my whole day.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I came to cross-post that Louis Theroux documentary, but someone beat me to it. I'm about halfway through it. This is making me sad and angry in the same way as Jesus Camp did, but it's so much worse with this one.

So far, I don't have a problem with Theroux's style. He doesn't need to do much of anything other than be there with a camera to show what these people are all about. Halfway through, there is a hilarious image that encapsulates the whole documentary. The functioning leader of the group is standing there picketing a place, holding a stack of hosed up signs, and Theroux calls it all "weird." She calls him out and tries to justify how what they are doing is not "weird." I have never seen so much cognitive dissonance in one moment. But the fact that he says it in defense of the upbringing of some poor little kid who is being indoctrinated ("you're grooming him into the weird behavior that is characteristic of your group.") makes me surprised some dumb cracker in this group doesn't punch him. This one isn't as scary as the Nazi one, I'm sure, but there are some heated moments that show Theroux's chutzpah.

And I think "do you really believe this" is a valid enough question to ask the pastor himself. There is no loving way the guy at the top believes all of the bullshit he is spoon-feeding to his flock. He clearly hates gay folks, and it would have been satisfying to hear him just admit that all his bullshit is just an excuse to spew hate speech because the thought of buttsecks makes him feel funny. I am certain that is all it is to him, if not a few other members. He doesn't have indoctrination as an excuse like most of the rest.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sorry, I'll make sure to pay attention to your attempts to dominate people with your internet superiority.

You know what isn't in the OP? Hotel Torgo which follows a look in at the infamous filming of the film Manos the Hands of Fate made famous by Mystery Science Theatre 3000 explained by one of the surviving members of the crew and the daughter of Hal the director and actor.

Thanks for the link! I heard about this a while back, but it fell off my radar before I ever got a chance to find it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

^^^ I always knew the name of the mathematician to be Fermet (pronounced the same). Hm. I'll check out this documentary, though. It sounds interesting.

Spoot posted:

I found this gem.

Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/off_the_grid_life_on_the_mesa/

It will take you places that you never expected from just watching the intro. It is very insightful to the way these people live and really gives you perspective. It almost makes me want to live off the grid. Almost.

I just watched this and I have to recommend it. Stan and Maine are two of the coolest folks. :patriot:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Judakel posted:

No creationist documentaries allowed. Unless you want comedy.

Part of me (a sick, sick part) wanted to see Expelled back when it was released. That's the Ben Stein documentary about "creationism is being blocked from school curricula! :qq:" I guess it's just morbid curiosity, or maybe the same itch that makes some folks rubberneck car crashes. I think it must be pretty funny.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Play posted:

Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson

"Long before Jackie Robinson broke baseball's color barrier, boxer Jack Johnson became the first African-American to obtain the world heavyweight title. This documentary tracks the life of the trailblazing boxer, from his early days as the son of former slaves to his rise through the ranks of a traditionally all-white sport, culminating with the 39-year-old's achievement of the prestigious title in 1908."

This is a fantastic documentary (by Ken Burns, known for his work with PBS)about Jack Johnson, first black heavyweight boxing champion of the world. He won this title in 1908, facing enormous challenges and a level of public racism literally unimaginable today. This man was an incredible man. He didn't take criticism from anybody and refused to let whites (or other blacks for that matter) tell him how to live his life.

Netflix Instant: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Unfo..._0&trkid=438381

PBS (not available yet but maybe soon):http://www.pbs.org/unforgivableblackness/

This sounds amazing. Thank you for the recommendation. I'll be looking around for this, although there are so many great recommendations up on Netflix that it may be high time I sign up again.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Rabhadh posted:

For us non americans, its available on youtube here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNIGZyFiLIU

Well, I know what I'm watching when I get out of work. Thanks!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I finally got a chance to watch Unforgivable Blackness via that Youtube link, and it is fantastic. I very much recommend it, even to anyone who doesn't typically follow boxing. For those like me that do follow boxing, the account that posted the documentary, Thefightdoc, has a bunch more boxing documentaries available in entirety. Check it out. But, really, everyone should check out Unforgivable Blackness.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Svartvit posted:

Gaza-strophic: The Day After is a well-made documentary about the 2008 Gaza operation. It's a collaboration between independent filmmakers, French television and PCHR. Visually it is very beautiful in my opinion. Production-wise, one of the best documentaries I've seen in all its simplicity. It's strictly from a Palestinian's point of view and does not pretend to be anything else. If you don't like Palestinians or their points of views you will not like the film. If you don't care much about the conflict, you will like the documentary as it is. If you like to think of arabs as gun-wielding maniacs you might not want to watch it either.

http://www.gaza-strophe.com/eng/index.htm

The ending contains a cool as hell rant.

"We're on the side of the demons now, kid." This guy looks so much like Saul Tigh from season 3 of BSG. Weird parallel, too, coincidentally. Great documentary, highly recommended.

I just watched Undercover Mosque and it is fantastic. I'm going to give Darkon a try, as a change of pace.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

Railing Kill - If you have a further interest in the subject of orthodox Islam's inherent conflict with Western values I'd strongly recommend Ayaan Hirsi Ali's autobiography, Infidel, Serge Trifkovic's The Sword of the Prophet and Bruce Bawer's While Europe Slept (these are all books, by the way, not documentaries.) In that order, if possible

It's of course an incredibly politically incorrect thing to talk about and many people seem to think it's an inherently racist or right-wing stance to take, but I personally found the information on Islam in these books really eye-opening.

Thanks for the reccommendations. I just finished Reza Aslan's How to Win a Cosmic War, and I very much reccommend it.

Luckily, there are a lot of documentaries being made about this topic, although it's hard to find truly unbiased ones inside the 'States. It's a complex issue that is far beyond the simple black-and-white of mainstream media narratives, so I'm always looking for well-made documentaries on the subject, whether I end up agreeing with them or not. On the other hand, the subject is riddled with racist nonsense on both sides and conspiracy theorism that muddles the whole issue. I give most of them a shot, and sometimes I end up watching junk, but I more often end up learning something.

Darkon, on the other hand, is great. It was a welcome change of pace and was surprisingly interesting.

I just started reading Alan Weisman's The World Without Us, which is about what would happen in the environment in the sudden and complete absence of human beings. It's basically an in-depth study and speculation in geological, ecological, and climatological sciences and our effects on each of them, in hypothetical hindsight. I was thinking it would make an interesting documentary, and then I remembered something similar (maybe on the History or Discovery Channel?) a few years back. I never saw it, but I remember the ads seeming similar in premise to this book. Does anyone remember this (and does anyone have a link, or at least a name)?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Forge_Pharaoh posted:

The documentary isn't any in-depth kind of study of Islam; it's more focusing on the kind of racist, sexist, and violent messages even "moderate" imams are preaching in the West, although obviously the topics are linked.
If you want to learn what the Koran says, I'd suggest just checking one out from the library and leafing through it. BUT I have found that 9 out of every 10 books on the subject of Islam available to Westerners are very biased in their prejudice to present it as an enlightened, peaceful, accepting, loving religion equatable to Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. I would personally recommend the three books I cited earlier to understand not only the history but the theological context of Islam (Ayaan Hirsi Ali's autobiography; Infidel, Serge Trifkovic's The Sword of the Prophet, and Bruce Bawer's While Europe Slept.) If you're scared because the titles may sound right-wing, then consider; Bruce Bawer is a gay liberal journalist living in Europe with his partner and Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a liberal who is pro-choice, pro gay marriage, and very pro-women's rights. Serge Trifkovic I admittedly know almost nothing about, though.
So none of these ideas are coming from a "rah rah go America bomb the A-rabs" point of view.

BUT, if people liked Undercover Mosque and would like to continue in their cretinous illiteracy; here's another doc called Unholy War from the British program Dispatches about the social consequences for Muslims in Britain who convert to Christianity.

"Those who blasphemed and back away from the ways of Allah and die as blasphemers, Allah shall not forgive them.
—Qur'an, [Qur'an 4:48]"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nUuGoykIag&feature=PlayList&p=D6B61CC8A1414D0D&playnext_from=PL&index=13

**EDIT: Oh, also! Apparently there's a sequel to Undercover Mosque. Undercover Mosque: The Return:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc7PqjD_S3s

I hope and assume this is a troll. Come on.

But this thread is too good for this :can:. Going to watch the gently caress out of that Scientology documentary now, though. :tipshat:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Does anyone out there know of any good documentaries about homelessness (in America, although that's not necessary)?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dark Days. I believe it's on Netflix Instant and it's brilliant.

Thanks Hundu and BobFossil. I'll check out both.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

papasyhotcakes posted:

Yes I think this was it, thanks to both of you!

Actually I have been on a Cold War kick lately, so if there are other "must see" documentaries about the period I would love to hear about them.

The British documentary The War Game is about the effects of a theoretical nuclear strike on Britain. It is one part factual reportage and one part dramatization. It's a news style doc. I saw it a few years ago and it chilled me a bit. Suffice it to say, I can see why the BBC suppressed it during the Cold War in spite of the fact that it won an Oscar in 1966. It gets as close to a :nms: tag as a dramatization has even gotten, for me.

It's definitely not about the whole Cold War, but it is a good glimpse of the collective psyche of a society living under the threat of nuclear war.

Forgot to mention that it's on Youtube in its entirety:

http://youtu.be/nrGg8PfkbZw

Enjoy...?

:smith:

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

Holy poo poo, a cold war doc I haven't seen yet. And it's like a nonfiction version of Threads. :suicide:

Even though it's made 20 years earlier, I thought The War Game's reenactment scenes were more brutal than Threads, as grim as that was. It's as realistic as it can be within the confines of reason and 1960's special effects.

Queue up something funny or light to watch afterward, though. It's right there with Dear Zachary to me. The film literally ends with the narrator asking, "would mankind continue in spite of all this, or would the living simply envy the dead and opt out of their new reality?"

There isn't a :smith: big enough for The War Game.