Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jedah posted:

As a follow up to my last post, here's a goon-exclusive short film. I've been holding off on posting this for a long time. It's transformed from a student project into my debut documentary:

The Sundowner
Synopsis: Unable to ignore the call of the ocean, a civil engineer builds his own fifty-three foot sailboat and sets sail, transforming his dream of life at sea into reality. In jagged waters, he is in turn transformed from a man of hubris to a man of humility.

Part 1 (9:55)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZakwSRlv8
Part 2 (9:09)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ65a6k4FAk

So far, we've gotten into 4 film festivals, including Slamdance (runs concurrently with Sundance). That was definitely the most surprising one, a real eye opening experience for me. We just took home 2nd place at our last fest. Here's hoping for a few more down the road. Eventually, we'll put it up on the website in much higher quality, but for now, I'm eager to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, that was very nice. Great tone and interesting story. Missed a narrator, but I suppose the text was good enough. Best of luck with being an awesome film maker.

AtomD fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just finished watching King of Kong and I must say it incredibly engaging.

As a matter of interest, for those of you have have seen it
I went back and took a look at that shot that showed the "tracking issues" with the copied tape that was submitted by douche-bag oval office (really engaging documentary). Take a look at the frames I extracted.

Click here for the full 1204x878 image.

Frame one is the frame just before the video pops back into place, frame two just after.
There are six major unaccountable inconsistencies. Seriously. This isn't soccer and just because they enjoy poo poo from the 80's doesn't mean they have to live in that time. Took me all of five minutes.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm systematically collecting Attenborough's Life series. It is, of course, simply wonderful. I've got Private Life of Plants, Life of Mammals, Life in Cold Blood and Life in the Undergrowth and would like to go for Life on Earth next. If anyone has got this on the BBC DVDs I'd really love to know what the transfer quality is. I don't want to go out and buy it only to find they did a lacklustre job of restoring it. I don't expect miracles (and I thoroughly enjoyed World at War) but just a good effort.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zackarotto posted:

Can anyone recommend any good documentaries about the history of electrical engineering or electromagnetic theory? It would be great if there's one out there that can teach me how to build a battery and radio from scratch (which I'll need to know if I ever get sent two thousand years back in time).

You might want to check out "Shock and Awe: The Story of Electricity" which aired on BBC4.
It's a tad sensationalist, but it doesn't skimp too much on the science side of things.

I honestly don't know where you'd be able to find it, though.