Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Does anyone know where to find the NOVA documentary about a handful of Average Joes getting together to run the (I think?) Boston Marathon?

I've looked on Youtube and googled, but never found more than a trailer. It was really a great piece and inspiring, lots of happy feel good sort of stuff. I'd love to see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Valkyn posted:

The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Hitman

Awesome documentary about Richard Kuklinkski, a contract killer who killed a shitload of people. He talks about some of the murders he committed and if you are curious about that kind of thing it is very interesting.

Part 1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5116812489134120077&ei=UUaDS7qoKpqoqwKu5MH8CA&q=iceman&view=3&dur=3#docid=5740692213665972395

Part 2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5116812489134120077&ei=UUaDS7qoKpqoqwKu5MH8CA&q=iceman&view=3&dur=3

So interesting. I am so close to stopping it because I can hardly stand listening to his chewing/smacking mouth anymore. Disgusting and so annoying >:[

Hormones
May 9, 2009
I just tried to watch Dear Zachary here: http://www.novamov.com/video/49a83db769c99

Got 70 minutes in and then it cut itself out and restarted from the beginning :[

anyone know somewhere else to watch it?

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

Does anyone out there know of any good documentaries about homelessness (in America, although that's not necessary)?

Not America, but Romania.

Children Underground.
During the Ceauçescu-era contraception and abortions were forbidden and so thousands of unwished children were born. After the fall of Ceauçescu's dictatorship many of them ran away from the orphanges or their parent's home to escape the cruelty what happened to them in these places...

They live in the underground stations or in abandoned houses, they live in small groups with strong hierarchies, they copy what they have experienced in their life among adults, their lifes are dominated by violence, drugs and the daily struggle to survive in a hostage world, which offers them barely changes to escape it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FQCKJzldI

Very good. Very sad.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

Doublepost to bump and to add a new documentary I found, which I am watching, and that it's making me feel physically sick.

Dope Sick Love
The movie follows two drug-addicted couples. The way in which, at least in my view, they lose all traces of dignity and humanity is really making me feel ill.

http://documentarystorm.com/drugs/dope-sick-love/

I saw this a few years ago. It's so sad :(

Hormones
May 9, 2009
While on the topic of drug documentaries, there are a ton of them on this guy's youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/oothelonetigeroo

I really recommend Black Tar Heroin, High on Crack Street, and Through a Blue Lens. They're all really drat good.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Any recommendations for documentaries on religious cults? The crazier, the better.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Fall From Grace and Jesus Camp would be a good start.

I believe Fall From Grace is on Netflix (Canada version) so I'll check that out. I've seen Jesus Camp a few times and it's super crazy. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Hormones
May 9, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hell House is nutso, as long as we're sticking with the theme of fundamentalist Christianity. Also watch Witness to Jonestown.

WebDog posted:

Theroux's "America's Most Hated Family" and the sequel "America's Most Hated Family in Crisis" are two good ones to watch.

Marjoe was made in the 70's and is about a former child preacher having a change of heart and allowing a doco crew to film him as he reveals how evangelists work.

Definitely good ones! I saw 'em a few years ago!

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Any recommendations for docs about cryptozoology? Big foot, Nessie, Yetis, etc?

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Watched a good one on Netflix (Canada) the other night called "Get Vegucated". The short of it was three people committing to going vegan for 6 weeks to see the changes and benefits to their lives. Of course there was some slanted viewpoints and some shock images from slaughterhouses, but overall the whole process, the ups and downs, and the outcomes for the participants was really interesting!

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Does anyone recall the name of a documentary... it was about a 15 year old boy who committed suicide, jumping from his bedroom window of his apartment building, after an entire life of crippling depression. His parents were filmmakers (I think the dad's name was Hart?) and made the documentary, interviewing friends, family, etc. It may have been something lke.. the boy's name in the title? I've googled a few possibilities but I can't seem to get it correct. It was really great, albeit incredibly sad, and I'd love to see it again.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Capt. Morgan posted:

Boy Interrupted

haha...I literally just googled your first sentence and it was the first result.

Clearly my googlefu sucks. Thank you!

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Hitler's Children was so good. I really want to watch Forgiving Mengele next. Both are on Netflix!

Hormones
May 9, 2009
I watched "Serving Life" on Netflix last night. It's about inmates who volunteer in their prison's hospice and take care of and stand vigil over dying inmates. It was really great.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Last night I watched two great ones on Netflix.

The Weird and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. It followed three generations of the White family who were pretty notorious to... well, everyone around. Drugs, alcohol, fights, jail, weapons, attacks, everything.

Happy. About what people around the world do to be happy. It was so beautiful and had me smiling throughout. A serious pick-me-up!

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Do the songs "Don't Worry Be Happy" and "Oh Happy Days" feature in the doc?

Thankfully, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Serving Life

Plot Summary
Actor Forest Whitaker narrates the story of a group of inmate volunteers who staff their own hospice inside a maximum security prison in Louisiana where the average sentence is more than 90 years.

Incredible and a bit sad if you believe people can change. There isn't much to add to the summary. I couldn't fix it but our prison system is sort of messed up.

Watching the two brothers interact when the youngest started dying was brutal. Its impossible for me to imagine

i suggested this on the last page. it was so good but it kind of messed with my heart :(