Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Assplant posted:

Life
Bad news is your version is being narrated by Oprah.

I refuse to believe this is true. There is no man on earth better suited to narrate a nature documentary than Sir David Attenborough. This is utter madness. The reverse (US->UK) equivalent would be taking Cosmos and replacing Carl Sagan with Jeremy Clarkson. This actually makes me seethe with anger.

Loving the thread - I'm always up for some good documentaries.

Currently watching, Chemistry: A Volatile History. Prof. Jim Al-Khalili explores the history of chemistry and the discoveries that have led to our current understanding of matter. A well-told story of the people and theories which led from alchemy to modern chemistry. Not too heavy on the actual science, but very rich from a historical standpoint. Some of the experiments reproduced in the show are beautiful and served well by some "look Ma - it's the 21st century" high-speed macro footage.
Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in the history of science.
Playlist links:
EP1: Discovering the Elements
EP2: The Order of the Elements
EP3: The Power of the Elements

EDIT:
∨∨∨ Oh, I'm in England, me. I just feel sorry for you poor folks over in the Land of the Opportunity. No healthcare is one thing, but no Attenborough - ouch.

DashingGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

amusinginquiry posted:

Strandbeesten
Has anyone seen this film and can attest to whether it is indeed awesome or not? Worth the buying?

I have adored Theo Jansen's work ever since I have seen his TED talk. I cannot find anywhere to buy this film nor any online sources. The film blog seems dead, no info about a DVD release to be found. There is a DVD included with Jansen's book, but it seems not to be this documentary (I assume?). Anyone have more luck finding info on this - I would probably buy it if it's not ridiculously priced.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

I thought it was by far the funniest of his works. The bit where it cut from him talking about reports of torture in Bagram prison to footage of that woman trying to explain one of Duchamp's Readymades was absolutely hilarious.

Bitter Lake was one of the saddest and bitterly funny things I have seen.

I stashed a copy in my media manager and it identified it as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HealMOZurEo, which seems like a different lake entirely. Not gonna lie, kind of want to watch the other one now.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayniggers_from_Outer_Space