Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Reincarnated
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2312602/

Snoop Dogg travels to Jamaica in an attempt to transform himself into a reggae star.

Is it basically Snoop smoking copious amounts of weed for the entire running time? Yes. Do you come out of it with serious doubts as to Snoop's genuine desire to embrace Rastafarian culture? Absolutely. Do either of these things impede the film or make it less compelling? Not at all. I really dug this film, way more than I thought I would. I can't even put my finger on what exactly is so riveting about this, but I think it's worth a watch if the subject matter is even halfway interesting to you.

How To Make Money Selling Drugs
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1276962/

Slick, smartly-presented look at the drug war in America with a number of interviews/sources including drug dealers, mules, and a wide range of celebrities including Eminem, Susan Sarandon, David "The Wire" Simon, and many others. It is presented as a 'how to' guide to becoming a drug kingpin and despite it being information that I largely knew already, I liked the way the arguments against the traditional philosophy of drug enforcement were presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films - Official Trailer

https://vimeo.com/107973282

Man I want to see this so bad. I remember so many of those movies.

Watch all of Hartley's docs. Not Quite Hollywood was on Netflix for a while and may still be there, and is a really neat peek at the Australian genre scene. I don't know where you'd see Machete Maidens Unleashed (dealing with Filipino co-productions with the US and the abuse and legit horrible stuff happening on those sets) but it's his best IMO.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623757/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I saw American Dharma, the new Errol Morris doc about Steve Bannon last night.

I think it's Morris's worst work yet (at least of what I've seen). He spends 3/4 of the movie telling you about Bannon's politics, like you didn't know those if you had even a passing familiarity with Bannon, and never really challenges him in a meaningful way about them. Maybe I was expecting too much, but it gave me none of the insight I would want from him or ask a single question that would prompt some introspection.

Morris uses Bannon's favourite films (Twelve O Clock High is the most prominent, but they discuss things like The Searchers and others too) to get him to talk about his political worldview and while I would stop short of saying he glorifies Bannon, he seems to legitimize the populist ideology while only once saying that polluting drinking water and trading healthcare away from people is the opposite of populism. Even the latter is not meaningfully explored.

Morris allows himself to get snowed under by Bannon's endless platitudes and even allows himself to get clowned when he admits he voted for Hillary over Bernie in the primaries and his son hates him for it. He is arguing in good faith, impotently wailing "but whyyy?" while Bannon is clearly performing and turning this whole thing around.

A day later and I'm still not really sure what this film set out to accomplish but nothing about it worked for me .

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 16, 2018

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I actually disliked it on the whole as someone who does enjoy his stuff, and it really hits the limitations of Andrew's talents. The thing about the QAnon family in the film is that for as hosed up as they are, they are just people going about their lives. So, you get these sincere and real words from them. Alex Jones and Tarrio are sleaze bags who are never going to give you anything genuine unless you pull a Borat and actively trick them.

I think placing these two factions of the right wing - the influencers and the influenced - in contrast to one another is really effective. You have Jones and Tarrio as smug as ever, simply moving onto the next grift or in Tarrio's case, actively cooperating with the feds to indict the Jan 6 rioters, and the Q family that's just "how could none of this be true?" I don't think it's about getting sincerity or honesty from the influencers, because by and large they're not capable of it.

Now, revealing the guilty plea for sodomizing an 8 year old to the conspiracy theory guy, now that was a Borat move.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I honestly don't have much connection with John Le Carre beyond Tinker Tailor but I caught this doc at TIFF and it's spectacular. Errol Morris still the king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gWnuhjwNrw

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ohvee posted:

There's a doc on Tubi called "A Life on the Farm" that a friend alerted me to. It's co-produced by the Found Footage guys, Nick and Joe. It centers around a full-length movie that a farmer in rural England made in the 90's. It's the work of an eccentric, but has left a bit of a legacy in how people interpret for themselves.

I haven't finished it yet, but it's an easy recommendation.

Oh I saw this almost a year ago. It loving rocks and goes places. Do not sleep on this, it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I do get that, but I think they add some needed colour/context to the footage, especially as it gets even darker and more esoteric. The stuff with the family is good and later on, others in the community is interesting, but I do agree that some of the podcasters and other directors that have no direct connection to the dude feels like padding to me most of the time.