Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, remembering that Thatcher was dead sure did make me feel better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Any good documentaries on native Americans? I'm watching one on youtube (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dr_Qqja4RY) and I just need to know more about the people who used to live where my house now stands (:smith:).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kull the Conqueror posted:

You Are on Indian Land. I just watched it recently. It's a 36-minute Canadian work from 1969 about a protest against forcing a sovereign Mohawk community pay duty for crossing an American/Canadian boundary on a bridge that they have never recognized, and the ensuing police confrontation. It was shot and chopped by First Nations peoples, who had been armed with cameras as part of a Canadian documentary initiative called Challenge for Change.

Also, Incident at Oglala is on Netflix. It's very good.

:smith: Those were great. Just... yeah.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

bunky posted:

Mentioned earlier (I believe), Rich Hall's Inventing the Indian is really good. It delves into how popular culture has changed how people understand natives of the Americas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lheXnx02JYE

The line about the natives selling away their sense of humor in a 19th century treaty had me in stitches. It's a great, informative, funny, and surprisingly angry documentary. Thanks for the recommendation!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finally watching The Fog of War. Holy poo poo. :stare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I watched the Central Park Five on Netflix yesterday. How is it that none of the people involved in sending these kids to prison got sent to jaiL!?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I watched Virunga with my family the other day, because this thread recommended. It's been a few days and I still find myself thinking about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The most I did was like the Facebook page and share it with my friends ebcause I'm a broke college student. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This thread got me to watch The Jinx. I'm not sure what I just watched or how to feel about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just watched Whitey on Netflix. Is... is that legit? Because it's got pretty frightening implications.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Viginti posted:

I assume that they didn't just make it all up for the movie, although given the current state of documentaries who knows? It's a pretty crazy story though and far more fascinating than the 'Gangster History' that I thought it was going to be; not sure why its advertised as a Whitey film when he's far more of a catalyst than an actual character. I wonder how much of this will be covered in Black Mass, I sort of like the idea of that being his personal story and this being a chronicle of the ripples he caused though, so I'll be fine if the answer is none of it. Given that they cast Adam Scott as hero cop and Edgerton as corrupt cop I can't imagine they'll have huge screentime but I would love it if they do.

I wonder if they'll go with Whitey as informant or Whitey as never an informant. It's a huge difference.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I watched The Emperor's New Clothes, Russel Brand's documentary on inequality. Nothing I didn't already know, but ti was told in an entertaining manner.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey right now. It's really, really goddamn good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droopy Goines posted:

I was really looking forward to this, but I had to quit the series after the first episode because the narrator was too annoying.

:confused:

The narrator has a really strange voice, but I found it workls really well after getting used to it. It gives the whole thing a very melancholic tone, fitting for a reflection on forgotten moments of film history.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

So I'm watching that Sleep Paralysis documentary on Netflix (called The Nightmare) and I don't think I'm sleeping tonight. :stare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, I'm guessing how scary you find the movie is dependant on how much Nightmares scare you. I don't think I've ever had the same kind of full-blown night terrors as the people in the movie, but I regularly have some very weird and/or scary nightmares.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I just watched Call me Lucky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkYG_AeRfU

That's the trailer. Watch it, please. It's very, very, very good. This is an achievement for Bobcat.

Hey, the looks like a nic elittle documentary about a comic I've never heard of...

Oh.

Oh.

0_0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

That whole interview with the kid shows why you don't talk to the police ESPECIALLY if you're innocent.

My god the poor kid.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finally watched the Cannon film documentary, and that last sentence on the screen had me rolling around laughing for a good five minute straight. I can't remember the last time a movie made me laugh this hard.

It's just so loving perfect.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Saw Last Man on the Moon on Netflix. It's a pretty interesting look at the space race, and one of the astronauts involved. Man, all those shots of the launch center empty and rusted...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

New volcano documentary by Werner Herzog up on Netflix. Images are amazing, as could be expected.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As if anyone could stop Herzog, the man who dragged a boat on top of a mountain for poo poo and giggles (and an amazing movie).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

cstang posted:

Anyone that's into documentaries about eccentric people should really check out "Curse Of The Man That Sees UFOs". It's streaming on Netflix.

Just wanna say to listen to this post. It's great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

precision posted:

The Keepers is on Netflix now, a series about the extremely hosed up murder of a nun. After 1 episode I'm def hooked.

Yeah, it's something. The subject is really depressing, but at the same there's hope in all those people working together to do something about it, and the way that nun affected her students positively before her untimely death. I'm at the start of episode 4 now.

The :smith:est documentary.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wonder what the reaction of the Catholic Church was to The Keepers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I liked that Joshua Wong doc that just dropped, it was pretty interesting to learn more about the protests in Hong Kong a few years ago.

I hope HK somehow manages to get democracy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I just saw Icarus. Wow, that went from: "ok, that is a cool premise", to full on Jason Bourne in the span of an hour.

I would recommend it.

Yeah, you weren't lying. 0_0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I was waiting the whole time for Bryan to say something like "WTF? I was just trying to make a simple documentary!"

I was super worried for Grigory.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

"The Vietnam War" by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick premieres tonight, Sept. 17th on PBS with a new episode every night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWFzaUlZz-k&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XS811-ZDB8&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPTKLuMWijU&hd=1

----------------------------------------

TONIGHT: Episode 1: Deja Vu (1858 - 1961)

The first installment of a 10-part, 18-hour history of the Vietnam War. After a long and brutal war, Vietnamese revolutionaries led by Ho Chi Minh end nearly a century of French colonial occupation. With the Cold War intensifying, Vietnam is divided in two at Geneva. Communists in the north aim to reunify the country, while America supports Ngo Dinh Diem's untested regime in the south.

----------------------------------------

Looking forward to this; I haven't focused much on the Vietnam War since I took a college course on it over a decade ago, so this should be an interesting watch; may need it's own thread to handle discussion. Reviews seem pretty positive:

Vox: The brilliant, infuriating, boring, hypnotic Ken Burns documentary The Vietnam War - The documentarian’s latest miniseries for PBS is a staggering achievement — and maybe his best work.

Washington Post: Yes, America, PBS’s ‘The Vietnam War’ is required viewing — all 18 hours of it

Is there a way to watch it online for us canadians?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Watching Time: The Kalief Browder Story and it does a really good job of showing of hosed up american prisons (especially Rikers Island) are.

I watched this and it destroyed me I'm legit crying right now.

gently caress. :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

P sure I couldn't handle this ATM

I didn't know about his suicide.

He was younger than me. gently caress.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

Considering they had all the taped interviews with him and others, I didn't even consider 'oh this was put together post-mortem'. That depressed the Hell out of me. Definitely the wrong choice for 'I'm in a lovely mood and don't want to leave the house; I'll watch a doc'

Yeah, I'm not getting to sleep feeling like this, I need something to cheer me up.

I mean, it's super good and definitely worth watching to get properly pissed off at a major problem of today, but don't watch it when you're feeling down.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Herv posted:

My last two documentaries were Vietnam and Dark States.

Can anyone please suggest something kind of upbeat like Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends?

Batterred Bastards of Baseball always makes me smile. :unsmith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mahoning posted:

At what point do you demonize the US to the point that you can no longer count on the cooperation of the veterans who have agreed to appear in and/or collaborate on your documentary?

Dude. Duuude. Demonize. Really? Demonize. Seriously?

You're trolling, right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pretty sure that's already on Netflix.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

dirty money is amazing (apart from the quebec maple syrup one) - especially the trump episode.

How dare you, the great Maple syrup caper is an important part of our history!

(Nah, you're right)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

how the hell does ken burns open his vietnam documentary with the war being started with the "best intentions"???

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/07/what-we-did

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've started watching The Innocent Man on Netflix because the John grisham name cuaght my attention, and it's amazing what police gets away with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vincent posted:

Any feel good docs you peeps recommend? This year has been a shitshow so far and most the documentaries named here are incredibly depressing.

Battered Bastards of Baseball always makes me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SimonCat posted:

This is amazing. If you want to see the state of the anti-Vietnam thinking circa 1984 watch this rebuttal to the documentary "Vietnam: A television history."

They even got Chuck Heston to host!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYwdCoOIEI

I'm guessing this one is pro-vietnam war and full of bullshit.