Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I quickly scanned the thread and saw no mention of it but you guys do seem to appreciate Frontline. If you do, you owe it to yourself to watch their latest. While certainly not their most informative piece, Behind Taliban Lines offers such a perspective that I was riveted for the entire 40 minutes.

It comes from an Afghan reporter who was offered to stay with a Taliban cell called the central group who are part of the Hezb-i-Islami, the main organized insurgent force in charge of activity in north Afghanistan. He was able to travel with them during a planned attack on coalition forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Kara Thrace posted:

I liked the Sigourney Weaver narration of Planet Earth, I don't know why.

I think maybe if a British person narrated the show, Americans would be less inclined to watch it? I mean, if I watched a nature documentary, narrated by an American I would be far less motivated to watch it. Familiarity maybe?

It's not a case of americans being familiar with a british accent, it's a case of american management being full of blithering idiots.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Skam posted:

Does anyone know of any good documentaries on the Israel/Palestine conflict?

It's such a massive subject that the only ones ive ever seen have always seemed heavily biased towards one side.

As for one im recommending (although i can't find it on the internet):

A map for Saturday

http://www.amapforsaturday.com/

Trailer

It is a documentary following a guy as he backpacks around the world for a year, i saw this film just before i left for my own backpacking trip and it's amazing how accurate it is and how he describes the emotions you go through.

If anyone has any interest in Travelling/Backpacking then this is a must see film.
I bought the DVD for the hostel i worked in and everyone who watched it loved it.

If anyone can find it on the net id love to see it again

PBS has a miniseries called The Fifty Years War and it's a rather fantastic compendium of everything that happened from the end of WW2 and on including some very insider perspectives and famous stories told by people who were directly involved.

I'm pretty sure it was a 6 part Frontline production. It doesn't have too much from very recent times but suffice it to say, one can imagine things aren't very different from where it leaves off.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Curly Shuffle posted:

I think any GBS thread concerning Richard Dawkins will explain it. Many Americans apparently find that kind of accent to be condescending.

No, many people find Dawkins to be condescending. An accent can't be an attitude.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

mrfart posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAJMnTzHCc8&feature=player_embedded!

speaking in code.
About techno culture in the US and the difference with the rest of the world.

Since I have a canadian gilfriend I started to realise how good I have it here in belgium when it comes to electronic music.
She always talks to me about traveling hundreds of miles to see some dj. And I usually have to drive 15 minutes to get to a club where the same guy plays and it costs about a third of the price.
Anyway, this american couple made a doc about it. Havn't seen it all the way through yet, but if you're interested in the subject I think you'll like it.

Fan loving tastic. Thank you for this. Electronic Music in north america is a loving joke. Between having headliners for residents and radio stations with huge blocks for the music, I am hugely jealous of the british/european scene as a Torontonian.