Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
What was the name of that old black and white documentary where people showed off their dumb poo poo. I think it was called Gizmondo but it's not coming up on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

HatSmack posted:

Holy poo poo, that guy is scary.

I actually felt sad for him when he was talking about his wife and kids :(

Don't feel bad for him, he's a psychopath. He's not really capable of "guilt".

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Kara Thrace posted:

I liked the Sigourney Weaver narration of Planet Earth, I don't know why.

I think maybe if a British person narrated the show, Americans would be less inclined to watch it? I mean, if I watched a nature documentary, narrated by an American I would be far less motivated to watch it. Familiarity maybe?

It's David Attenborough though... he's a documentarian GOD! His voice has become synonymous with nature documentaries, and his next series, Life, is supposed to be his magnum opus. It's a disgrace that he isn't going to be heard in America, to the point where I would rather this NOT air here because of it.

I'm not ashamed or afraid of admitting that I will be pirating this rather than giving one red cent to Discovery. It seems melodramatic but it's a loving travesty his narration will not be heard.

Oh, and I believe Planet Earth was Discovery's highest watched nature program as well, being seen by over 100,000,000 people in America.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 4, 2010

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I can sympathize with him. Sigourney Weaver was good as the narrator for Planet Earth, though I enjoyed Attenborough more, but switching him out with loving Oprah for the Life series is pure bullshit. Her recent record of advocacy is almost the antithesis of the science that makes shows like Planet Earth and Life possible, with her support of New Age bullshit like The Secret and Suzanne Sommers with her dangerous hormone replacement therapies. They're replacing a true-to-life naturalist like Attenborough with a pure cash-grab in the form of Oprah.

Plus, it's David Attenborough. The guy has been making nature programs for over fifty years, he DESERVES to be heard.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Popelmon posted:

Are there any good documentaries about the end of the Roman Republic?

Not a documentary, but if you are looking for something about the fall of the Roman Republic, there is a podcast called "Hardcore History" by Dan Carlin, and he did a VERY in-depth 6 part series about that subject, called "Death Throes of the Republic" that you'd enjoy if you haven't already heard it.

Highly recommended.

Dan Carlin also recently did three about Ghengis Khan which was great as well.