Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

So, I just watched Dear Zachary. I haven't been this affected by a documentary, well, probably ever. Thanks a bunch, you jerks. :smithicide:

Kidding about the jerks. It was a great piece and I'm glad I watched it, even if it's going to ruin my whole day.

Watch the Jonestown one also if you want to push yourself into full despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer.
This is a documentary on Aileen Wuornos, the first female serial killed. It is similar to the Iceman Tapes, but based mostly around her final appeal; it basically chronicles the life of this woman, who grew up being raped and abused, and all the circumstances that lead up to her execution. She had many reasons for appeal including incompetent attorneys, police corruption, and the fact the woman in absolutely loving bonkers.

This woman is just sick though, she shows absolutely no remorse for any of her crimes and sends chills up your spine. It’s a hard one to watch, Aileen screaming at the camera threatening to kill her lawyers for delaying her execution, Aileen’s mother saying she will sleep better after she is dead, and her final interview the night before her execution which is just her insane ranting.

Hulu
NetFlix

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

A Humble Narcissist posted:

I seriously think that A Vice Guide To Travel: North Korea, is worse than the Liberia one. I mean, Liberia is cannibalism and poo poo but NK is insanity. The mental indoctrination of these people is just beyond depressing because you just know that they've been brainwashed into thinking that way since they were babies and quite frankly that is far more frightening to me than cannibalism or incredible crime etc.

The Liberia one is at least a little hopeful, there are a lot of people in that country who want a change, would do anything for order, it really seems that if we did step in we could really make a difference. But we won't unless they get WMD on loan from someone.

The NK is insane, you just can't educate that amount of mind fuckery out of a country. When I think about all that human potential that is wasted to put on a show for one man, it makes me sad.

Here are some more, State of Mind this follows two of the acrobats that participate in the Mass Games you saw at the end of Vice Guide, it's not the greatest documentary but the subject matter is outstanding, focuses a lot more on the conditioning and brainwashing that occurs in NK.

Seoul Train this one I highly recommend, it's about and underground railroad dedicated to getting refuges out of NK. This has a lot more human element, and draws a lot of attention to how China is loving this refugees over by not recognizing them as refuges and sending them back.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 20, 2010

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hated the gently caress out of Dear Zachary, it was manipulative trash that tried way too hard to be edgy and thought that, in lieu of actual evidence, giving its critics funny voices was appropriate. It's central message was "gently caress things like 'evidence', the victims are angry so the person they blame it on should hang even if there's nothing other than circumstantial evidence and character assassination" and if you fell for it you should feel bad.
Huge Dear Zachary spoilers, be warned!

It's been a while since I watched it, but didn't the villain flee the country before the trial, and eventually ended up killing herself and her baby. Doesn't that scream guilt?

Besides it's not like actual criminal charges are being filled because of this "circumstantial" documentary, everyone involved is dead, it's like hearing a documentary of Jesse James has a few parts based on anecdotal evidence, whats the harm?

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

thehustler posted:

Everyone needs to watch this, it's really important.

Not hugely relevant to American's, with the exception of a few of the stupider counties in GA we have done a pretty good job of keeping religion out of our public schools. All of the faith based schools here are private.

I do really love how British TV operates though, anything interesting they base a documentary on, I wish America would do this more, the only documentaries anyone watches are usually big box office movies that are very few and are usually very biased and misrepresent facts.

budgieinspector posted:

That said, Dawkins seems compelled to view religion as the be-all-end-all divider of humanity, and it kind of makes me wonder if he really believes that a planet loosed from the bonds of faith would actually rationally sit down and work everything out and exist in peace and harmony.

I don't think most atheists think this, it would certainly cut back on war, it would remove a large background component or certainly main component in some ongoing conflicts.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not really. Religion as a source of conflict has more or less always been a pretext.

A pretext yes, but Religion has not been the direct cause of very few main conflicts over the years. I hate to take the side of religion in any debate, but people love to kill each other way to much to keep something like a lack of religion. The cause of war are mostly greed, religious wars take make up about 7% of wars.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

7seven7 posted:

I'm recently been really getting in to documentaries on cosmology, astronomy, astrophysics, physics, theoretical physics, quantum physics etc and have exhausted everything from http://documentaryheaven.com/category/space/ and http://documentaryheaven.com/category/physics/, which were great sources of BBC documentaries on the subjects. I also had the good fortune of catching Wonders of the Solar System and a few other things with Brian Cox (who is surely turning out to be England's Carl Sagan).

Are there any other dumps of documentaries of the same type? I can't recommend those too links enough. I've spent many a night in awe of the universe thanks to those.

Here is a good one that goes over the history of Thermodynamics, all the way up to modern Quantum Physics.

Absolute Zero

Netflix also has Cosmos and the first 4 seasons of The Universe on instant.

Also Physics: The Elegant Universe fun one on String Theory, also gives a rundown of Relativity and Quantum Physics.

Edit: Oops Absolute Zero and Cosmos were already in your list.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 20, 2010

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Tohokai posted:

go the extra mile and execute this people (thus doing what most people would like anyway

Yes lets start killing people based largely on children testimony, dear lord man.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

enginedriver posted:

Does anyone know of any good TV or preferably Radio documentaries on early monarchs of England. I mean really early ones like Aethelstan or even earlier ones of individual realms like Wessex going back to late Roman times. In an ideal world I'd like a radio 4 style hour on each and every king/queen but I'll settle for anything you have!

There is a great podcast called Stuff you Missed in History Class, which is an hour long weekly program where they pick out some specific historical event or person, the show has been on for years so they have hundreds of episodes on Kings of all eras, all of which are available for download.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

"I stopped doing Chemo and I fell 100% better"
:bravo:

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

But in the majority of those cases they can prove their actually talking to a woman.

Also those Khan lecture are just amazing.I highly recommend the Cosmology and Astronomy for any Cosmo's fans.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 2, 2011

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Up for Grabs
Cute story about two people suing each other over a baseball.

Nothing to do with sports, I would compare it to King of Kong, but replace everyone likable with assholes and lawyers. I also find it funny that in the entire documentary the only person who does the right thing is a lawyer, it's also got an ending that makes you smile.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Cosmos 2: Because you still believe in Astrology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Saw this today: http://www.americanjuggalo.com

30 minute documentary on a Gathering of the Juggalos.

NWS, for just a whole bunch of reasons.

That is just terrible, it's just a bunch of short clips of a poo poo load of human garbage talking about there drug culture, and they are all boring as hell.

Except for the fact they never stop saying "Woot, Woot" you could make the exact same documentary at any drug gathering.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 29, 2011