Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

DiscoDickTease posted:

Carts of Darkness

http://www.nfb.ca/film/carts_of_darkness

"Carts of Darkness is a 2008 National Film Board of Canada documentary film by Murray Siple about a group of homeless men in North Vancouver, who use shopping carts to collect bottles and cans to return for money and also race down the city's steep slope for thrills.

The subjects in the film control the carts using only their weight and one foot, during descents that cross intersections, with top speeds claimed to be as high as 70 km/h.

Siple, a former director of extreme sports videos and avid skateboarder and snowboarder, became a quadriplegic after a car accident in 1996. His first film after his accident, Carts of Darkness allowed the filmmaker to regain the excitement he had experienced with extreme sports as well as relate to a fellow group of outsiders."

When this was first mentioned I just passed it up thinking it sounded awful. Later on in the thread someone quoted it and mentioned it was actually quite awesome.

This is a great documentary. It really makes you smile at some points and almost makes you cry at some. These guys really have nothing except for the thrill of riding a cart down a hill 60 kilometers an hour. The last few minutes are really well done. Thanks for posting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a hold of a BBC documentary by the na,e of Carehouse? I've googled the poo poo out of it and I've found nothing. Anyone have a link or it? It's about this carehouse in which people with mental disabilities are interviewed about their lives- it's really quite interesting, but I haven't been able to find a link for it in a while. Help, please?

Sorry I couldn't find a version you can watch but here is a link to the contact page for Century Films the makers of Care House (2003).

http://www.centuryfilmsltd.com/contact.htm

http://www.centuryfilmsltd.com/care-house.htm

I'm sure you may have already seen this but just trying to help. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

ive been watching stuff aobutj ail like uhh inside the gangers code which is a mafia dude that goes into a prisons and ms183 and stuff its crazy! these guys lifeves are so hosed up I watch a lot of stuff in jails and im like HMAN I DONT WANT TO GO THERE i dont wont promise that but i wont i promise that!

anyways, I saw "the cocaine cowbows" and it was awesome!

what im saying is this "what are some truly sad like falllen from grace type of docuemntaries"

I saw dear zack

jus twant stuff that is like gently caress thats so sad i cant imagine how sad that is but yea i can haha

thanks for the information

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

not sure if anyone has seen that show "no man left behind" on nat geo but that show has really made me interested in documentaries of that style (in a completley hosed situation with no way out particularly in War time scenarios

the first episdoe was about black hawk down, second was bout some americans going to colombia and got kidnapped and 3rd episode was about some green berets who were in a huge firefight in afghcanistan - anyone have any good recommendations of that nature? I guess its hard to find another example besides this show.

I guess maybe some survival stories of vietnam/iraq war from the people who were there first hand is what im looking for. I befriended a client at a previous job who told me he got separated and had to kill some guys with knives in vietnam hiding in a ditch and got rescued amongst a hail of gunfire and had the medals to prove it! Pretty crazy stuff I didnt believe him at first but people who were closer to him told me it was true. I love those survival stories where you beat the odds!

Thank you

Wish the show (No Man Left Behind) had some videos online to link its really good especially the green beret episode these guys ar etough as hell getting shot up and still fighting. god bless them

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

wow i saw "only the dead see the end of war " war documentary and besides being very very violent iwasnt expecting decpations and seeing fuckin ISIS videos which ive tried to avoid nm y whole adult life but that was an AMAZING first hand look at the war I am very removed from and didnt realize how rough this war actually was for americans

I also started watching "into the hornets nest" and i cant say the same the situations are scary sand dangerous but the war correspondenets son is trying way too hard to be like his dad that he comes off as annoying? not genuine I suppose is the word?

I'm about to watch "taxi to the dark side" - I didnt know how interesting the iraq war documentaries were, does anyone have any other recommendations? preferrably without ISIS decapitations that stuff is not my jam

xcore posted:

Werner Herzog's Little Dieter Needs to Fly might tick the boxes you are after. It's the non-fiction version of the story from Herzog's Rescue Dawn

Also, I like to recommend this whenever I get the chance, and it's somewhat in that wheelhouse Witness: City Name on HBO was a cool documentary series that follows combat photographers on the journeys to different conflicts. It follows a different photgrapher each episode. From memory, the different locations/conflicts are:

Juarez/Cartel Wars
Rio and gangs/police corruption and the attempts to clean up before the World Cup/Olympics
Libya/Gadaffi
Sudan/Kony

thanks for the other recommendations ! going to check those out ASAP and if you can stomach the violence I heartily recommend "Only the dead" where a time magazine correspondent basically joins ISIS to get footage of attaacks on americans ... im very very surprised that he didnt get reprimanded for it but I'm sure there was some sort of backlash about his involvement in these attacks. Kind of hosed he knows of suicide bombings and just records them, but if you were surrounded by 20 ISIS guys with AK 47s you too would probably not be inclined to snitch on them

heavy stuff.

The part of the show that I enjoyed the most was seeing the americans sniper tower shooting warning shots at people getting way too close to them "SHOOT THAT MOTHERF*" and you can feel the tension. very cool to see both sides and probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

Watched this last week and I have to say that it wasn't really what I expected. I first saw some of Ware's stuff in 2006, when he featured prominently in the Frontline documentary "The Insurgency" (which - like all of Frontline's stuff on Iraq - was excellent, btw). He talks in that documentary about a lot of the same subject matter related to embedding with early insurgents and getting information on Zarqawi, but obviously without all the restrospective reflection on the psychological toll it wreaked.

Purely from a filmmaking perspective Only the Dead is not great - I found the editing to be lacking, and the whole thing seriously lacked context. This might not be a problem if the personal angle was more compelling, but, to be honest, the narrative of the descent into the madness of war did little for me, and most of the notes he hits are banal at best. It struck me that now, with the rise of ISIS and a good amount having passed since the withdrawal of US combat forces, would be a perfect time to produce a large-scale documentary on the war, how it developed, and why it produced the geopolitical situation we see today (Frontline has dealt with many of these issues in varied documentaries, but it would be great to have one cohesive overview). Ware, with so much really great material from Iraq at his disposal stretching much of the length of the war, could have produced such a documentary. Ultimately, what he produced just feels pretty shallow.

It was not what I expected either since it was featured on a bunch of "top 10 iraq war" lists and no ones like "warning tons of death". It sounds like you have a lot more information about the subject which is what made it so jarring and exciting for me to watch because seeing it first hand captured so close to the atrocities knocked the wind out of me because I had no idea how little the insurgents really cared for human life and you hear about it in the news but to see it was astonishing and very sickening. I'll check out the other stuff you mentioned and I can see your points but for me it really surprised me how vicious the footage was and you gotta think someone is crazy to be in that situation and not even think of wanting to leave I wouldnt dream have stayed another day if there was a knife at my throat and I was seconds from being another missing jouranlist.

do you have any other good recommendations for the war in iraq since you seem to be well versd on the subject?