Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bliggers- posted:

Holy loving poo poo was that EPIC. By far the best crime/courtroom documentary I have ever seen.

Phyzzle is right, do not read anything about this case prior to watching the series.

I am now trying to track down Jean-Xavier de Lestrade's other films, especially Murder on a Sunday Morning

I came here to post about Murder on a Sunday Morning. When I then read the description of The Staircase I even thought to myself 'I wonder if that's similar', good to know it's by the same guy. You really must find it, it's excellent. I caught it at 2am on Channel 4 in the UK by accident (luckily from the beginning) and throughout the whole thing you're left thinking : Is this kid an excellent liar, or is this police force this messed up?

I caught RiP - A Remix Manifesto on screener recently, I think it streams for free in the US tho. What I thought was just going to be a piece about the mashup genre actually turns into a pretty good tale about copyrights and intellectual property. Good production values too.

I also helped get Until The Light Takes Us shown in a small arts theatre over here. It's not brilliant, but it's probably the best look into the early Norwegian black metal scene that led to church burnings and murders. Lots of facetime with Varg 'Count Grishnackh' Vikernes of Burzum, famous for murdering bandmate 'Euronymous' and serving 24 years in prison for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone catch "West of Memphis" yet? It's from the same person (Amy Berg) who made "Deliver us from Evil", a fairly stirring doc about a pedophile priest and the whole clusterfuck the Catholic Church has with the subject. I haven't followed the actual news stories about the WM3 case so I know very little about it and I'd love to be able to check this out. Is it getting an international release?

I saw WOM and it's a well made documentary, and I preferred it to Paradise Lost personally. I tried to watch that back around 10 or so years ago and only made it about an hour through. I can't remember the exact reasons it didn't gel with me, and I'm sure I meant to pick it up again as I always found the case interesting.

WOM feels a bit more complete, it has a beginning, middle and an end afterall as opposed to being a mouthpiece for a group of individuals who are currently incarcerated, but it did bug me in the way a lot of documentaries do in the way it's trying to push an objective as opposed to documenting events in an unbiased form.

When the film actually makes a point that going after Byers originally because he 'fit the bill' was just as bad as the police dept targeting the WM3 because they were 'weird', it seems to completely forget this as it then decides to focus the attention on going after Hobbs. Throughout the last hour, there's really not much brought up against him - extremely tenuous DNA against him (and his friend, which then gets dropped almost immediately), a serious of recorded phonecalls that reveal nothing, and some grinning teens claiming to have overheard a conversation. Oh, he beat his kids and had a charge of sexual assault against him therefore it must be him. Case closed.

There's no doubt that Hobbs is a piece of poo poo, it seems most people who are wrapped up in this story are - from the families of the victims to the police department, but making a film that is essentially designed to finger point someone with no hard evidence seems immoral.

It's a shame, I wish the film had been a bit more objective and considered more possibilities, including that the WM3 are possibly guilty, but that is never going to cross the minds of a team that have been campaigning for them for over a decade, and has one of the WM3 listed as a producer.

I love documentary film making, but I can't watch them without questioning everything. Twisting the truth in entertainment based docs like 'King of Kong' is one thing - and that didn't sit well with me - but when you're talking about the death of children it's particularly in poor taste to sell a viewpoint as documented fact. The amount of people who'll now say Hobbs murdered those children! because of seeing a single documentary that insinuated this. It feels no better than what happened the first time around.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Man, Tickled is eeeeeverything I wanted that naff Catfish movie to be. Absolutely bonkers from word go, tense as hell in places, and leaves you wanting to know what (if anything) happens next a la The Jinx.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xcore posted:

You find this a positive?

The way I see it with this kind of documentary is, if it had a big definitive finish then I probably would know about the subject matter already and the film/series wouldn't have the surprises that make it so interesting. I think Tickled ends up in a fairly natural place, and the mere existence of the film is what will push the story on. It's quite clear this has already happening if you read about the screenings.

KoRMaK posted:

Oh my god I forgot about this. I thought it was a parody when I first saw the trailer but as it dawned on me that it was real I became more engrossed.

Its like something adult swim would make

I had a sinking feeling last night that I'd been played and it was all fake, but I found one of the old new stories that is mentioned and am convinced it's legit. But I agree, it's so out there. Not just the original subject matter, which while odd is very believable after being online 20 years, but everything else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bagual posted:

Woah i just came here to request hacker/spy poo poo documentaries and here it is.

If someone would make an effort post about this sort of thing i'd thank them.

edit: I'm asking here because i've already searched myself but most i found are pretty poo poo/amateur, I'd hoped you guys would know good documentaries about this.

Start here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ILA5Cso3w

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's really good. As I posted earlier in the thread, it's what I was hoping from that borefest, Catfish.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cstang posted:

Murder On A Sunday Morning is a great crime documentary.

Backed, I caught it on a TV airing 10+ years ago and it always stuck with me. Anyone who likes the recent glut of stuff like Jinx and Making a Murderer would dig it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bad Rap also features Awkwafina, although it's more about Asians in hip hop and she just happens to be a woman. Based on her material, that aspect is likely to come up though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The theatrical run finished a while back, was limited as you can expect. Hopefully that means VOD and similar isn't too far off, as yeah - it was really good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

I'm only 5 minutes into Tickled and I'm already in full :stonklol: mode. What in the world am I in for?

Hahaha oh just keep watching. I think the big reveal of the perpetrator not actually being a woman was pretty telegraphed from the word go, but man is that film super fun and ended in a pretty perfect way for a story that wasn't ever going to be truly resolved

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've followed Scientology from a casual POV for about a decade as a friend has been fascinated by them since the 90s, and I thought Going Clear was far better. I usually love Louis' work, but I found his movie a bit aimless and rambling, as if he didn't really know what he would be able to make. Would've been perfectly fine as one of his BBC docs, but was a bit underwhelmed as it was a full theatrical effort. Not to say I didn't enjoy it at all - I did, I thought the fake movie was an interesting and new approach at least - it's just Louis always excels when he's able to get people close enough to him to reveal more than they should, and you're not going to get that out of the Scientologists he runs into. Those parts all felt too familiar of other existing works.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven't heard of Tabloid before, but added to my list based on that comparison.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Tickled ended up being kind of a weird wet fart. I actually thought it was gonna just keep getting more strange but I guessed the final twist well before it happened. Still one of the best documentaries I've ever seen because holy poo poo. It's like Tabloid in that regard.

I just watched Tabloid based on this, and I expected a bit more given Errol Morris being behind it. Definitely an interesting story, but when most of the players are either dead/uncontactable/refusing to participate, it feels more of a recap of what happened with a bit of evidence at the end that the lady is at least currently a bit batshit.

I think if they'd managed to put something new on the table beforehand it would've been more gripping, especially if there was a challenge over it, but it felt like a TV doc using a Wikipedia article as it's source. Bit of a shame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So worth a watch? I kinda skipped over it as I thought I might be a bit preaching to the choir, of which I'm already a member.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Dunno, the makers don't really say anything, the footage kinda speaks for itself. I mean an MRAP in a two horse town, what's there to say really?

If you are already a member it will just piss you off I guess ;)

Ha, I'll probably save it for a day when I'm surly and drinking too much bourbon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat that's been on my to watch list for ages and just checked NF and saw it's on there. Even the trailer made me angry, ha.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kids For Cash

Alan_Shore posted:

Ha you're in for a furious treat! Let me know what you think about the case and the judge.

I double backed it with 13th tonight as it seemed an appropriate way to end this year, ha.

Its nice it at least ended with some justice, which isn't always the way with these things.

I'm always a fan of when the accused talk to the camera in their own words, a la The Jinx. It's fascinating to watch how they see themselves. Always thinking they're smarter than everyone else and he of course showed absolutely zero remorse for what he did over the years.

The saddest part is that everyone said the records showed his behavior prior to the new facility was no different, so he's essentially rotting away on a technicality and nobody really acknowledges that there was an issue beyond the kickbacks.

Good film though, you gotta wonder about the thousands who didn't get their story shown due to time constraints. What a crappy situation for everyone involved.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, seconding that. It's really good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not a documentary, but at least make sure you watch 'All The Presidents Men'. And 'Frost/Nixon' too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm pretty sure I caught the last 30 minutes of that on Comedy Central once and always meant to give it a proper shot from the beginning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unmature posted:

Gimme everything you got that's even remotely like Electric Boogaloo, Films of Fury, American Grindhouse, and Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue

Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape is really good. The sequel is decent too, and I think both are on Shudder at the moment.

I've got 'Best Worst Film' in the queue to watch at some point, and if you have any interest in Nightmare on Elm Street then Never Sleep Again is a super fun watch.

E: "Rewind This" about VHS is decent too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

coyo7e posted:

Best Worst Movie, the Troll 2 documentary? That thing is magical, but don't go into it necessarily wanting to be cheered up.

Thanks for the heads up! I should probably get around to watching Troll 2 before it too, I'm sure.

Unmature posted:

I've heard Never Sleep Again is good, I've been meaning to watch it for forever.

I can't believe how easy it is to watch for something as long as it is. The time just flew by.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To be honest, that was one of the kinder descriptions of travelers I've read.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah also really dug Icarus.

I, too, dug the original premise and am a little sad we never got to see that film. Worth it though.

Grigori definitely super likeable despite the fact you know he was really high up in this situation, and still didn't really seem to show that much sympathy. When Bryan met with the IOC people for that meeting and they asked him whether Grigori was sorry, the silence said a lot. You can definitely understand their anger at him, while still liking him.

One question as there was a lot going on... obviously in Sochi they were able to control the whole system of testing which is how they were able to do the smuggling and switching of samples. How exactly would this work in Rio, for example, where they didn't have such a sophisticated system they could run.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Judging by the short lifespans of Russians who know things, his life was in danger from the moment the allegations came out. So while I agree with Bryans sentiment that he's putting his life on the line to help, its essentially something he's doing for self preservation as opposed to any moral sentiment. I'd also be interested to know more about him leaving on his own without the family, as that's kind of pushed aside in one brief conversation.

I think it's always important to question everything you're told in documentaries, as rarely are they made without bias and elements are often changed/omitted if they don't necessarily add to the desired narrative. It's very easy to side with whoever's against the Russian government though!

I also liked the appearance of Sebastian Coe, as any Brit growing up in the 90s with a love of Chris Morris' "The Day Today" will always gleefully tell the room they hate Sebastian Coe due to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07sWzYObnk

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Agree with that too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah gotcha! Thanks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I keep meaning to plow through all of the Ken Burns stuff, as he covers things I have super little knowledge about not being American. Our cables down and only one house has a TV antenna, but looking forward to catching up to this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep I have Civil War and Baseball ready to roll when I have some time. Very much looking forward as only ever heard amazing things and presumed it would fit my ‘know nothing’ background.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

After these batch of episodes are there many differences between the broadcast and uncut online versions? My cable is back up now and I have the broadcast ones on the DVR, if there’s barely any differences due to a few language cuts I’ll just watch it on that out of ease.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm gonna put that fact in the 'Positives' pile.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Yeah I got Real Mad at the part where it said there was a poll where over half the country thought it was totally okay to shoot protestors

Genuinely could be a poll run now with the same results, sadly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KoRMaK posted:

Just found out about "Room Full of Spoons" in the wake of the new trailer for Disaster Arist which I probably won't be able to find anywhere anytime soon

I don't know if ive made it all the way thru the room but god drat do I appreciate it and does james franco's characterization look amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPSJYXi7BWA

The Disaster Artist Movie will probably be far better than Roomful anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Its a documentary about Tommy Wiseau, the guy who made The Room. He’s an interesting guy and there’s a lot of intrigue as to where he’s from and where he got his money. Just a base feeling that prying into someone’s private life probably won’t make for a good documentary, unless they’re involved in tickling videos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’ve been meaning to either read or listen to the book in forever, everyone says the audio book is great as Greg does a really good Tommy impression.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As soon as I saw the YouTube embed load, I knew a killscreen was coming up.

For further Kuh craziness, he once worked a really long week at an arcade (he made a good amount of money in investments or similar from memory, so retired really young and took a job at one of the arcades all the classic gaming people love). Because of this incredible achievement, they tried to auction off his pay check for... reasons?

I don’t care much about classic gaming, but I do find the culture around it quite fascinating. Todd Rodgers recently got the boot because finally people realized all the impossible to achieve scores he/friend of his logged for him meant he was cheating. The guy is obviously a really good player too which is crazy.

The Billy Mitchell stuff is of course great and hilarious. He lives down here so goes to one of the local events quite often, I wanna meet the dude but I wonder if he’ll be keeping a low profile for a bit.

Man Vs Snake is another good video game documentary which felt a bit more real than the ‘staged for the narrative’ King of Kong. Chasing Ghosts is fun too, just for the final on screen text before the credits.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

InternetBully posted:

The other one that rounds out this trifecta is Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters.

Yeah! I remember enjoying that one too a few years back. There’s one called Nintendo Quest too from the last year or two, about a guy trying to buy a complete NES set, but it’s nothing too special. Pleasant but not essential, anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At least it’s a big enough profile that it should end up somewhere easily accessible. There’s nothing worse than seeing a trailer or reading about an interesting looking doc just for it to fall into the ether for years.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Re-upload with extra episodes I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Brb, gonna fill my head up with synthol for protection.