Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Used to think he was the poo poo when I first saw his special in the 90s (before he had a TV show etc), but he lost me completely with that stupid lottery thing. Can’t go back after them at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think a good magician learns skillful tricks in order to convey something else happening. Slight of hand work, especially close up, is difficult to pull off so even though you know they’re not physically manipulating objects through space with their mind, it’s still clever and has you scratching your head as to how it worked.

The example of Derren I gave was his lottery guess, where he specifically said they weren’t going to use camera tricks to do it. He then went and used a camera trick. It was easy to guess, and easy to execute. The guy is obviously very talented, and it was such a cheap trick that it ruined his act for me. What’s to stop him just using actors and camera tricks going forward, I might as well just watch Now You See Me or whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've only watched the first two episodes, but I like that the new lawyer has done more to sell me on his innocence than the whole of the first season did.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Metallica : Some Kind of Monster.

Should still work even if you’re not a metal fan, it’s basically a chance to watch a band completely fall apart and go completely up their own rear end at the same time. Also you get to see them told their new album is poo poo to their face, almost like the ‘poo poo sandwich’ part of Spinal Tap.

(I still like Metallica and their tour they’ve been doing the last few years kicked rear end, they obviously learnt something between then and now. If you do like them, then their 90s documentaries ‘A year and a half in the life of’ part one is them recording black album, part two is them touring. Both good fun.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Groovelord Neato posted:

abducted in plain sight is loving bonkers. i can't believe these people exist.

Mormons seem to have a gift of taking utter stupidity to the next level. What a wild ride that was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In my mind, when Jan tells her parents of what happened between her and B it takes an hour to go through everything that went on, and a further 3 hours to then convince them that no the aliens aren’t actually real.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

El Gallinero Gros posted:

poo poo, as recently as a few years ago, Trump thought the Central Park 5 still did it. And they actually got exonerated!

Oh I’m sure he still does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Surprised he didn't run with the old "Well, even if they didn't do this one crime I'm sure they did *something*".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

InfiniteZero posted:

Only the Scientology movie is available on Netflix Canada. Are you looking for something specific by him?

Note about the Scientology movie: there is a weird scene with Paz De La Huerta where Louis worries that she was paid by Scientologists to stalk/monitor him. She acts very strange. I know somebody who has worked with Paz and in that scene she is being absolutely bizarre but that's just Paz being Paz and not Paz being an asset for Scientology. In fact, Paz is so unpredictable that she's definitely not going to be able to be a secret asset for pretty much anybody.

The Paz scene is the best part of the movie, mainly because they have no idea who she is. There used to be a parody Paz account on Twitter yeeeeears back that used to be hilarious because it captured the gleeful insanity of how she appears to live her life.

I personally don't think the Scientology movie is his best work, because Louie's schtick doesn't really work on these people. It has interesting elements for sure, and it's worth a watch (loads of people really liked it. I just think Going Clear and what I've seen of the show wonderfully known as gently caress Scientology does it better).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can’t believe it never came to my local imax. It would’ve been amazing watching it on their ridiculous screen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That preview image looks... suspect. Maybe best to hxxp link it!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I kicked his rear end before, and I would kick his rear end again - the soothing words of a man talking about his dead son.

The documentary did do a pretty good job of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that Boston sports fans are the worst, though. Something the world has suspected for a long time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m intrigued, as I think Seth was a prick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are you saying boooooooo or ubooooooooat?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DFW Cats was fine but it definitely put way too much stock in the Internet dweebs who didnt contribute anything of actual worth in two whole years, and only knew the identity of the guy because he told them himself. Like if you trimmed their stuff down the story could’ve been told in two episodes and not have really lost anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone know if the Frontline version of For Sama is the full cut? The timings I’m seeing are different, 1hr40 listed on IMDb for the movie whereas the Frontline upload is closer to 1hr20. Would rather hold off if this is the case rather than just a mistake on the runtime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The thing with that is, pretty much all nostalgia for that time period is completely overshadowed by one event.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s an amazing story, looking forward to this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was Kevin the beet red guy with the girl in a wheelchair he considered his girlfriend and would use her disability checks to buy his rubber wank socks, this doesn't look to be the same guy. Or does Kevin show up as part of the community or something?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We need an unauthorized extra episode laying down all the poo poo people say about Jordan too, for balance. I'm still looking forward to it, but I know the OJ docu wouldn't have been as good if Juice signed off on it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve wanted to see that one for time, it’s never had the best distribution. Maybe I’ll just buy it on Amazon’s digital service.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I haven’t heard anything about the Raelians since Tom Green messed around with them. A blast from the past for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s new, so it’s rent/purchase on Amazon and iTunes Store (and probably others) rather than Netflix or Prime streaming.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll agree with that. Netflix seem to be in a rut where they need every true crime thing to have a gimmick now, regardless if that affects the narrative. The stuff on YouTube from a year ago about this case was a more interesting watch and has access to the same footage. The social media stuff was loving lame when they don’t tell you the context of it or make any kind of commentary.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The OJ 30 For 30 is fantastic, as it took a story everyone knew (or at least thought they knew) and showed you the context of the day around it from a sports point of view, which I had no idea was so crazy. It was expertly edited.

The Watts doc took something awful that happened that some people knew, but I'm guessing most didn't, and decided because there was a bunch of publicly accessible video they could tell the story like that and just jammed it all together hoping it would work. And oops, better trim this stuff out from the beginning because if you see that then there's not much else worth watching it for. The social media and text conversation stuff was just cheap timefiller because due to the rules they set out for themselves, there's no real context for it and you're confined to video someone is taking specifically to shill MLM crap with zero objective commentary. I couldn't even compare the two except in a 'this is an example of how to do it well, and this is an example of how not to'. I have no issues with taking an alternate approach to making something as it can be a real eye opener in some cases, but the Watts thing is just a gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfg861hO-Ag

This is the first of 3 parts of an amateur YouTube person who had access to the same stuff and did a better job a year earlier because they aren't trying to force a narrative. It's a far better use of your time, imo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh dude seems to know his poo poo from a psychological/criminal POV, I meant more the YouTube filmmaking part was amateur. Bad wording on my behalf.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dude seems to be on YouTube (and still high as balls) and you’ll get a good lol when you find out where he’s originally from...

https://youtu.be/KgKbegZHIxE

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If there’s anything ‘Don’t gently caress With Cats’ proved, it’s that internet detectives importance is pretty much polar opposite to their belief. Not that this really came as a surprise to anyone outside those circles.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It doesn't really change, the whole show seems to be about the rehabilitation of Fred and gawking at the 8chan guys weirdness. It kinda feels like it should've just been about the effect of 'free speech' on the web and the people who push it, rather than basing it just around Q. There's not really any real (on screen, at least) attempt to work out who and why it was started, just who happens to be running it now when it's at the point where Q themselves simply doesn't matter.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Sniper about the DC/Beltway snipers on Viceland has been excellent for the first three episodes. Doesn’t fall into sensationalism or hunting too hard for a gimmick, unlike a lot of recent true crime stuff. I’m both eager for more, annoyed that I have to watch weekly now, and curious how there’s still material for 7 more episodes (I only know the basics of the case from when it was happening).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think anyone had an issue with DMX saying the n-word, it’s the fact it was gleefully setup so a billion white frat boys could all yell it out in unison and it just be considered fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, that’s what I said.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The weird thing about the Saville thing is the first time the news came out officially (it had always been lurking beneath the surface, but never as a news story) everyone kinda brushed it under the rug and pretended it wasn’t real. It kinda broke again a year or so later and then everyone pretended to be shocked and surprised.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Waltzing Along posted:

Another pointless streaming service is not.

Eh, Shudders been around for years and concentrates on a specific niche and is well liked. They're not really looking to compete with any of the johnny come latelies. They're pretty good, iffy-software aside.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

After watching the 1984-2020 version of Life of Crime yesterday, I’m doing the two original ones today to fill in some of the gaps. They didn’t do a bad job of crunching down the originals into an hour catch-up for the new one, but nothing prepared me for the fact Life of Crime 2 starts with the Macarena.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure, were I ever in trouble like this, that I would want a jury of my "peers" deciding my fate. The supposition seems to automatically lean towards guilt instead of the other way around.

Absolutely, it’s something I’ve thought about a bunch too. Shows why rich people paying for super expensive attorneys is such a thing, because they have the ability to sway the dummies who decide your fate regardless of the facts.

For the regular rear end person who ends up in court, how many of those jurors actually want to be there, and for the right reason? People always seem to be pissed to be called and half of me thinks they’ll have the mindset that’ll want to send the guy down for ‘wasting their time’ from the outset.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s super lovely and some short sighted nonsense for sure.

I usually try to cancel trials after starting them because lots will give you the access until the last day anyway. Some like Apple kill your access so for those I set calendar reminders for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you like Andrew/Channel 5 then it’s worth watching. If you don’t care about him, it’s unlikely there’s any great revelations.

I would be intrigued to see right wingers reactions watching it because I think he keeps a fairly unbiased approach and let’s people talk themselves into problems, and I do like the juxtapositions between situations (the children in the Q clip that’s been going around in comparison to him looking after a kid for a day, etc).

It’s a good document that’s not too long, and covers the insanity of that time period into a single piece.

Also: I like that he put some focus on the ringleaders making sure to not get too involved themselves, while also conveniently getting Covid himself and not being able to attend. We all know you were the puppet master all along Andrew! Who else is the common factor between all the events leading up to the main event. Lock him up!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

magiccarpet posted:

Thankfully they didn't turn it into a ten episode affair

Definitely.

The story was fine but the documentary would’ve been a bit more fun if it spent more time on the kinda insane world of Pez collecting and the fairly bizarre characters within it, rather than just the singular story of the one dude that, beyond a few aspects, wasn’t super interesting. There’s no ‘holy poo poo’ moments in it, but they kinda act like there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

True Crime Story: Look Into My Eyes

Yet another multipart true crime documentary that’s not really worth your time.

Could’ve been a good 1 hour curiosity, but you don’t really know much more at the end of the 4th episode than you do at the end of the 1st. No real path of intrigue, things you didn’t see coming, or deep exploration.

High school principal who is practicing hypnosis on high school kids, 1 dies in a car crash then 2 suicides shortly after and he gets the blame by friends/family. You have a whole bunch of dummies talking to camera and nobody really critiquing them. None of the families seem to have been present for these kids, but just wanted someone to blame. The principal himself partakes in the show which is something, but the whole production wants to give equal say to all sides rather than critique the whole mess. Dude was doing bachelor party level poo poo and people treated it like he’s a loving wizard or something, to no pushback. Lame.