Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Scarf
Jun 21, 2006

INTERVENTION! INTERVENTION!

I thought King of Kong was a great movie. Only read the spoiler below if you've already watched it.

Walter Day of Twin Galaxies believes that the documentary is dishonest in its portrayal of the actual events. In posts on a Twin Galaxies forum entitled "The King of Kong — Official Statement"[19] he contends, among other things, that:

* In 2000 Tim Sczerby reached a high score of 879,200 points. Steve Wiebe beat both this score and Billy Mitchell's 1982 score. (In response, the film's producers claim that "Tim Sczerby's consistently disputed record was impossible to verify and did not merit inclusion in the film."[20])

* Steve Wiebe actually held the high score record for almost 3 years, and when his videotaped score of 1,006,600 points was rejected, the record actually reverted back to Wiebe's own previous record reached in 2003 — it did not revert to Billy Mitchell's 1982 score as implied by the film.

* Mitchell's videotaped record sent to the Funspot event was actually discarded after the event, and Walter Day apologized "for the mistake of approving this videotape without the benefit of a complete verification process". The score was reverted to Wiebe's score achieved at Funspot.[21]

This is from the Wikipedia article about the movie and really makes you look at things differently. So much of the drama was manufactured. The one that really got to me was that when Wiebe's videotaped score was discarded, he already had the next highest record, not Billy. Bleh, entertaining movie, just not very factual which is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Scarf
Jun 21, 2006

IMB posted:

fun fact; when i was in high school in 1999, we played picher in some weird-rear end basketball tournament. their nickname? the gorillas

I think thats their mascot. It said it on the water tower and all over the school in the documentary.

Combat Scarf
Jun 21, 2006

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I'd recommend Independent Lens: The Atom Smashers if you're interested in the the LHC or finding the Higgs Boson. Its a documentary about Fermilab's Tevitron and the science behind high energy particle accelerators. Surprisingly interesting for such a sciency topic.

It's instant streaming on Netflix.