Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Bought a flash -- slapped it on today with the little diffuser. This... makes things a bit easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Laowa releases full kit of ready-to-go microscopy lenses for $1500. Range of 10x 20x 35x and 50x tubes and attachments for all popular lens mounts.

https://petapixel.com/2023/09/26/laowa-makes-microscopy-affordable-with-10-50x-aurogon-lens/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Viginti Septem posted:

Laowa releases full kit of ready-to-go microscopy lenses for $1500. Range of 10x 20x 35x and 50x tubes and attachments for all popular lens mounts.

https://petapixel.com/2023/09/26/laowa-makes-microscopy-affordable-with-10-50x-aurogon-lens/

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I know what I’m asking my family to pitch in for me for Christmas!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Viginti Septem posted:

Getting good results from this with no tripod would be the ultimate test

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's a pretty incredible advancement, though I have yet to see testing I'm fully satisfied with (ie Robert O'Toole of closeuphotography.com). It should be at least comparable to a suite of Mitutoyo objectives (though not usable for me since I need coaxial illumination).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viginti Septem posted:

dick pics here we come

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have their 2.5x-5x macro and while I like it, I really wished the aperture control were not manual so it would allow me to set it to f/11 while still allowing me to compose wide open. Not sure if the Aurogon behaves the same way (shame if it does).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It is manual, yes.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

It is manual, yes.

Makes sense, isn't the point of those all manual Chinese lenses that it allows them to skirt around mount licensing?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Easier to make manual lenses for every month rather than making auto ones

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

RillAkBea posted:

Makes sense, isn't the point of those all manual Chinese lenses that it allows them to skirt around mount licensing?

Manual is cheaper and easier to manufacture. And for macro it's what most people use anyway so just makes sense.

Focus peaking in camera with mirrorless makes manual lenses much desirable, you get the benefit of cheaper, lighter and smaller but still sharp and don't have to worry about not being sure if this poo poo will actually be in focus (assuming your focus peeking system is good)

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 29, 2023

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Manual focus sure. But manual aperture is a bit annoying in low light situations (my camera switches to higher ISO, and eventually to a slower frame rate on the screen) where an auto aperture would allow me to focus/compose wide open (at a lower ISO and a high frame rate on the creen) even when shooting at f/16. I admit it's just an inconvenience, not a showstopper, and I get that mount licenses cost money which would get forwarded to the buyer.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

bumping for bees

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Bees are good

Also lady beetles

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

20230809-5F9A0418.jpg

Praying Mantis

Praying Mantis

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Here's a mushroom I messed around with in my front garden. I can't decide which of these I like best. I used a green light; the colors aren't added in post

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Messed around with? :lsd:

Great shrooms pics!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Just hangin' out

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Holy poo poo, incredible! How'd you get him to sit still!?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Red Queen posted:

It’s a mushroom so it doesn’t move much

:dumbrim:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

blue squares posted:

It’s a mushroom so it doesn’t move much

:dumbrim:

:smugbert:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

The Red Queen posted:

It was about... 12°C out - and they were hanging from a web and very very still.

Later on in the evening they had a fly caught and wrapped up - but I effort'd out and never grabbed my camera.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Before and after shot

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Whoa 😮

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

awesome

also eughhh why

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Cooool.

Because cooool.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

It's March and things are springifying up here near Toronto - it should not be doing this.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Image dump time...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

toggle posted:

Image dump time...

these are fantastic

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

FBS posted:

these are fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo